Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reissue Gen1 Astrotrain at Walmart

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I want this to replace my white and black version, just because I prefer the colour scheme of the original. I assume eBay is the go for Aus? Pretty pricey I'm guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    I'd say there would be some demand for Astrotrain in his original deco, since none of his previous reissues have used it. We've had the black and white Takara deco, cartoon/prototype accurate Ehobby and the vomit-- I mean Platinum edition. I told you privately today that I've been through 3 vintage Astrotrains and I'm still not satisfied, so I'd be more than happy to have a brand new reissue in the original deco to complete my Astrotrain variants display (aside from the Platinum which I refuse to get).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    I want this to replace my white and black version, just because I prefer the colour scheme of the original.

In hand comparison shows that this reissue's purple colour is noticeably different from the original G1's.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    In hand comparison shows that this reissue's purple colour is noticeably different from the original G1's.
    Thanks for that. I noted some of the box differences earlier and I was expecting the figure would have some too. Others may disagree, and that's fine, but to me this is close enough to stand in for the vintage on my display.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kranix View Post
    I want this to replace my white and black version, just because I prefer the colour scheme of the original. I assume eBay is the go for Aus? Pretty pricey I'm guessing.
    You'll pay through the nose on ebay at the moment, because it will only be people buying in store and then flipping it for a premium. If you can be patient, I expect you will soon see Asian sellers and online retailers (robotkingdom.com which resells through Hasbro HK) stocking him as well, which might be a more realistic price point.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by High_Q View Post
    Kind of a bummer... but I'll still grab him

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    You'll pay through the nose on ebay at the moment, because it will only be people buying in store and then flipping it for a premium. If you can be patient, I expect you will soon see Asian sellers and online retailers (robotkingdom.com which resells through Hasbro HK) stocking him as well, which might be a more realistic price point.
    Thanks for the advice, I will wait

We could easily have 100% OG accurate reissues if scalpers didn't exist. And the best way to combat scalper scum is to never buy from them. But as long as scalper scum exist, then making reissues more differentiated from the original toys is a good way to stop the scum from passing off these reissues as originals. Someone recently showed me some eBay sale of a counterfeit Optimus Prime toy being sold as vintage. If people are willing to do this with fakes then you can bet that they'd be willing to do it with reissues, especially when the reissue's packaging looks so similar to the original.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Just checked my commemorative one, it's the takara black. Am I the only one with a stack of those? lol. Toyworld had so many for so cheap. Back in the good days of TRU stocking the line too. Now we have no one aside from specialty importers. Sucky time to be a collector.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    Just checked my commemorative one, it's the takara black. Am I the only one with a stack of those? lol. Toyworld had so many for so cheap. Back in the good days of TRU stocking the line too.
    The Commemorative reissue of Astrotrain was such a massive shelf warmer. I remember seeing even Kmart being overwhelmed with dead stock that would've sell even after the toy was reduced to $25.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Commemorative reissue of Astrotrain was such a massive shelf warmer. I remember seeing even Kmart being overwhelmed with dead stock that would've sell even after the toy was reduced to $25.
    $16 at Toyworld.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------