• Only if (something else)

3 9.68%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Not even interested

3 9.68%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

Thanks for all the pics. Can't wait to get my hands on this, looks amazing and fills a hole having never seen G1 Hound in the flesh. Also the inevitable toy repaint will be even better.

So....

Hounds busted in the box... the hinge for the "door" panel was cracked and a section floating loose in the tray.

HLJ asked if i could fix it, otherwise I'd have to return it to them.

Thoughts? anyone else got any breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    So....

Hounds busted in the box... the hinge for the "door" panel was cracked and a section floating loose in the tray.

HLJ asked if i could fix it, otherwise I'd have to return it to them.

Thoughts? anyone else got any breaks?
    That sucks. Unfortunately there is a significant number of people experiencing breakage, often out of the box (as indicated in this TFW poll).

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threa...-poll.1187110/

I just got my Hound & promptly opened and transformed him. I'm not as impressed as I'd want to be for the price.

Summary:

Pros:
    - The robot mode mostly looks great & there's cartoon accuracy
    - The vehicle mode attachments can all integrate in robot mode
    - The robot mode rocket launcher integrated into the vehicle mode, and the way it forms part of the interior of the Jeep is very clever
    - Excellent poseability & well thought out accessories

Cons:
    - I know they're going for cartoon accuracy but I'd have preferred the colours be a little more realistic and a little less cartoony. It does come at a cost in vehicle mode
    - The neck joint already mentioned by others, though in truth this doesn't particularly bother me
    - I dislike the false wheels on his ankles. They look silly & I would much have preferred the real wheels
    - It's too fiddly in some areas; which means that some joints are delicate with fine clearances - I'd rather have had a little kibble somewhere rather than the door hinges that, as some have found, are fragile
    - Related to the last point, I don't want to transform him back to vehicle mode... I'm too afraid of these joints breaking. If he wasn't $200+ I'd buy another to display both modes. But then, the vehicle mode's green is too light to really evoke a military Jeep (the BT did that much better)

I'm not dissatisfied; Hound will look GREAT alongside the other Autobot cars. But the earlier guys like Bluestreak & Sideswipe are far more elegant and sturdy for mine; and even NOW on eBay are cheaper than Hound. While the MPs aren't really designed with play in mind, this is far less playable than the earlier cars.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    I don't want to transform him back to vehicle mode... I'm too afraid of these joints breaking.
    I have had that feeling with a few of the recent MPs when I first transformed them, such as MP-43, MP-45 and MP-47. I think "this is too scary to transform again" but then I do, and the more I do it's fine. I've transformed Hound a good 6 or more times to bot and back now and he hasn't had one stress mark or crack. I'm not oblivious to the QC issues others have had out of the box, but mine has been totally fine after numerous transformations, for whatever that is worth.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    I have had that feeling with a few of the recent MPs when I first transformed them, such as MP-43, MP-45 and MP-47. I think "this is too scary to transform again" but then I do, and the more I do it's fine. I've transformed Hound a good 6 or more times to bot and back now and he hasn't had one stress mark or crack. I'm not oblivious to the QC issues others have had out of the box, but mine has been totally fine after numerous transformations, for whatever that is worth.
    Fair enough.

For me though, it remains a negative. I really enjoy transforming Tracks, Bluestreak etc back and forth ... but find Sunstreaker is kinda unpleasant (I have Cordon who displays in vehicle mode so best of both worlds right there). Hound feels more like Sunstreaker - but I'm still happy I have him.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

After seeing people receiving damaged out of the box from a couple of reports, I decided I am skipping it for now.

I look forward to you updating us when you've bought it.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

I got my Hound yesterday from HLJ. Opened it for a visual inspection. No signs of any issues. Not transforming at this stage though.

Like Dirge, I was a bit disappointed at how cartoony the vehicle mode looks (I think it's primarily the shade of green, and I think it will look good in robot mode).

Mine appears to be fine and undamaged in the box but I admit I am now reluctant to transform it... :/