3 9.68%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Not even interested

3 9.68%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

I didn't get Hound.

And super happy I probably dodged a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by popculturepooka View Post
    I didn't get Hound.

And super happy I probably dodged a bullet.
    Agree. My 3P Hound does me just fine. HasTak can stick their ‘Masterpieces’ where the sun don’t shine.

Kranix is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I love the detailing on this figure in jeep mode, very cool. Not a huge fan of the legs or the gun but they're toon accurate. Also the colour isn't brilliant to me. In general though it's a good looking MP.

I can't help but think a more toy like deco in dark green with chrome would look brilliant but we may never see that. Despite the QC risk, I would grab this guy at a reduced price. He is cheaper on Amazon Japan right now but we can't purchase from them any more unfortunately.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Well finally got him. Boy it is a long time since I opened a MP clam shell. Looks like they use 6 pieces of tape now.

So Hound. Very pretty. Looks like a jeep. The wheels look like they are from a Toyota, but that is his vintage. Same with the padded bucket seats.

As a robot he looks the part. Good proportions. The wheels on his ankles look silly, but it is accurate and using them to lock his feet together is clever.

There is a lot of clever. Too much clever. Using the legs and feet for storage is a good example. Clever, but very cramped to the point of impractical, even breaking the toy.

Which brings me to tolerances. The one thing that stood out for me was tolerances. The first transformation was scary because of so many joints for the panels being too tight. I can see why they have been broken. The back seats don't slide smoothly through the gap in tray of the vehicle when forming the feet. Tolerances. The front fenders don't pop out cleanly. Tolerances. I expect better from Takara. Bending plastic past other parts is 3rd party cheats. I want my "Takara moment". Not 3rd party fiddling. Speaking of 3rd party the plastic reminds me of Bad Cube. I never had a problem with it but it never felt as crisp as the plastics Takara used previously. Interesting to see it here. Especially given how panel-ly that company's products can be. Is this the future for Takara?

Good use of paint. Not so much chipping, but rubbing in interesting places. Eg, the corners of his front hip skirt where if slides under his hip when raising his leg. Not really noticeable but it is happening. Similar sort of rubbing elsewhere. Eg bottom edge of the shins where the feet can rub against them.

Three transformations in backwards and forwards. No damage yet and the joints are loosening up. That is probably key. Get those joints loosened and you should be right. Getting them loosened the first time is the challenge.

Anyway, the Ark crew continues growing, and Hound is worth getting.

For me I struggled to lock the arms in place. Maybe I did a step wrong. But I didn't find it as intuitive or refined as, say, Ironhide/Ratchet or Inferno/Grapple. I haven't managed to fully enclose the feet due to level of cramming in stuff together, but I'm not going to have another attempt. I'm just grateful I didn't have any QC issues with mine.

But overall, he looks the part, and it is so nice to have another different coloured Autobot who is not blue, white or red. If you're focussed on completing the Arc crew, then get this one for sure.

And with that, with no more G1 MP's on the horizon, my wallet is going to be having a break from Transformers purchases (unless I pickup Bumblebee 2.0 very, very, cheap somewhere)

I finally got mine and transformed him this week. It was too late to cancel my order after all the issues came to light. Looking at some of the pictures of breakages, I am really lucky that my figure had none. However, while paint is nice, I had various paint chips straight out of the box so that's really annoying (hips, forearms, shins). I really do prefer bare plastic for the pieces that will rub against each other.

Given the cartoon accuracy the complex transformation surprised me a lot. I was really careful and I don't think I will ever transform him again. It was an unpleasant experience and felt needlessly too reliant on small pieces folding against and past each other. I'm happy to play with the older Masterpieces but I feel these recent ones are not designed for multiple transformations.

With all these issues and the high price, I don't recommend it.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

I recently heard another report of someone's Hound breaking (this time the "arm" connector that holds the head and missile launcher). After hearing directly from at least two collectors whose Hounds broke on them, I'm not keen to continue transforming mine. Might display my BT Hound in Jeep mode and keep MP Hound in robot mode. If they release an MP+ (toy accurate) Hound or an MP Detritus then I'd be tempted to grab that just to keep a copy of this mould in vehicle mode. Pretty disappointing -- not even MP3 was this fragile.

Seems that MP Hound suffers from GPS (Green Plastic Syndrome)... and it seems to be the worst case of brittle plastic as it's breaking on new toys. At least Gold, Brown and Blue Plastic Syndrome happens on aged toys. As in it takes years before the problem manifests, not days or weeks.

I am one of the two collectors Gok is referring to. I also have another friend who had theirs break first transformation.
    Seems the breakage issues with this figure are not a matter of IF, but WHEN they happen. It took about 7 transformations back and forth before it happened to me, so I knew what I was doing and it still broke due to the back panels of the Jeep mode being held on by a tiny connection. Other common breakages are the side doors and the shoulder cannon arm as Gok already mentioned.
    All I can say is please be really careful guys! I strongly recommend you do not transform Hound at all, but if you must, do it only once to experience it then leave it alone.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

That's a bugger. When I receive mine I'll be applying some shock oil as recommended by some on TFW. Also read it's best to slightly loosen the screw that's part of the neck armature. These measures still don't guarantee it won't break but I'm hopeful it will survive one transformation to bot mode. I also refrained from my standard practice of double dipping to keep one MISB since I'd always be concerned it's broken out of the box. If they do a reissue that has better plastic I'll pick up a duplicate.

I've even asked Dennis from OMP to inspect mine out of the box to better ensure I get a decent copy.

I fully intend to grab a second Hound down the track to keep displayed in vehicle mode, anyway. Hoping, as Gok said, there's a more toy-accurate version, I'd much rather a darker Jeep mode.

So **** what happened to yours, Tha_Phantom.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister