• Only if (something else)

3 9.68%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Not even interested

3 9.68%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

Pretty piss poor effort from TT if we're throwing terms around like don't transform it, or find your own fix-its for a new item out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Pretty piss poor effort from TT if we're throwing terms around like don't transform it, or find your own fix-its for a new item out of the box.
    You know me Sinn, I always try to see the positive in things (especially considering what we're paying for these figures) but I just cannot defend this figure. It's a real shame too as if not for the QC issues it would be amazing. The fact I transformed it so many times before it broke shows I did enjoy it, but now I'm utterly let down.

Having said all that, if there is either a reissue or repaint with QC issues fixed I'd probably get it, but I'm not giving Takara the benefit of the doubt anymore. I'll wait until there are in hand reviews first.
    Last edited by Tha_Phantom; 8th February 2020 at 03:58 PM.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

What gets me the most is the R & D team would have known full well what the mould is likely to encounter through various pre production hard copies, but still went full steam ahead anyway. That to me is just low.

I finally got around to transforming mine today, and with some trepidation considering how many breakages I read about.

I found the transformation quite clever, especially how you don't even have to remove all the extras like the spare tyre, gas can and turret gun. Wasn't expecting that and was suitably impressed.

I couldn't get the right shoulder to fit on mine in robot mode properly, it felt like if I kept forcing it that it was going to break. Considering others have pointed out this as a breakage point I've left it sitting slightly out, disappointing for a toy of this price.

Overall I really like both his robot and jeep modes and found it a clever transformation sequence. A good figure that is let down by some QC issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    What gets me the most is the R & D team would have known full well what the mould is likely to encounter through various pre production hard copies, but still went full steam ahead anyway. That to me is just low.
    Apparently not. It turns out that a decision was made to use inferior quality materials at the factory level in Vietnam, not at the R&D level in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Apparently not. It turns out that a decision was made to use inferior quality materials at the factory level in Vietnam, not at the R&D level in Japan.
    That statement has done nothing to ease my mind. On the contrary, it's only left it open to more questions if one decides to read between the lines.

I'm not sure about this just being due to the quality of materials Gok. The pieces connecting the rear panels to the back of the Jeep are super tiny, which is a design issue, not a QC one.

It'd be interesting to see if TakaraTOMY will reissue or release another version of MP Hound with better quality plastic. Using better plastic won't make the toy invulnerable, but it should make it less susceptible to breakage. I'd like to see this toy being released in toy-accurate colours with better quality materials. If they did that I'd consider buying it and keep one in robot mode and the other in Jeep mode and never transform my original MP Hound.

Who knows... MP3 did significantly improve when they used superior quality plastic for the Hasbro version and subsequent uses of that mould (MP6, MP7). I'd hope that re-releasing this mould with better plastic would also improve the quality of this toy. It won't be perfect, but at least better - just as we saw with MP3.

Having these itty bitty pieces is part of what they're doing to try and achieve these crazy slavish levels of show likeness, but that's what fans are demanding. Not me. I prefer toy accuracy. I like my G1 Ironhide and Ratchet having flat heads with sticker faces. My MP Grimlock always has red eyes, not blue. My second year G1 Decepticon Jets are never "coneheads." I prefer Optimus Prime and Soundwave with yellow eyes. Okay, I'm just rambling now...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Having these itty bitty pieces is part of what they're doing to try and achieve these crazy slavish levels of show likeness, but that's what fans are demanding.
    Sorry, I don't see how that is part of show accuracy. They could have made a thicker bit connecting the rear panels to the Jeep mode and still maintained show accuracy. You don't have to change the overall look of the rear panels, just the piece I'm pointing to in the above pic.

I do take your point about better plastic. I know MPs never have been or ever will be completely immune to breaking, but the older ones sure do stand up to numerous transformations. I just transformed Sunstreaker for the zillionth time today, which goes to show that a cartoon accurate and durable MP is possible (okay aside from his paint). Hopefully if they can at least fix the plastic quality then there will be far less breakages on future Hound releases, but I still maintain some connecting bits are designed too thin.

On a different note, I wonder if an MP Hound+ will ditch the canopy accessory in favour of a cage for Ravage. I'd love that personally.