3 9.68%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Not even interested

3 9.68%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

Returning to an old thread.

I acquired an MP Hound recently for a good price and have had my opinion of him turned around.

There are some componenent of the transformation that are probably more complicated than they needed to be, and in some cases require a specific order to complete properly, but I have really enjoyed this figure.

The foot transformation is really enjoyable and pretty clever. I like the mechanism used to lift the front tyre guard up to create an elevated shoulder, and it's just a really effective looking piece standing next to other figures like Sunstreaker and Grapple. He looks a little out of place next to MP Sideswipe, but is pretty impressive overall.

I will have to keep an eye out for the areas of cracking noted by others, but I am very happy with the choice to pick him up as my Masterpiece Hound.

I got mine 1 year ago and I've only transformed him from car in the box to robot. And that's all I might do. Mine's fine but I'm scared of breaking him. Mine was double taped and no out of box QC issues. He is a good looking figure and I'm glad to have him but a shame about the price and my fear of breakage. So it's nice if you got him at a discount.

I wonder if they have done or will do a reissue addressing quality problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    I acquired an MP Hound recently for a good price and have had my opinion of him turned around.
    Bear in mind that the retail price for MP Hound was $240. Some people may have paid even more including freight.

While I'm super happy that you got your MP Hound at a cheaper price, I think it pays to be mindful of a toy's original RRP when appraising its value for money, as that's what the majority of consumers probably paid. I got my MP Forty-Four at a ridiculously cheap price (bought it second hand from a friend; so got super good mate's rates), but whenever I appraise that toy I'm always mindful of it's max RRP, not the price that I paid.

How would you feel about MP Hound if you'd paid $250 or more for it? I quite like my new MP Convoy, but I must confess that I most likely wouldn't like it as much if I'd paid full quid. I like both of these MPs, and I like MP Arcee too... but I don't think any of them are worth full price. If you can get them at a discounted price either through pre-order earlybird discount or later discounted prices, fantastic - and I would recommend that. But I can't say that recent MPs have been worth the manufacturer's recommended price.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Bear in mind that the retail price for MP Hound was $240. Some people may have paid even more including freight.

While I'm super happy that you got your MP Hound at a cheaper price, I think it pays to be mindful of a toy's original RRP when appraising its value for money, as that's what the majority of consumers probably paid.

If you can get them at a discounted price either through pre-order earlybird discount or later discounted prices, fantastic - and I would recommend that. But I can't say that recent MPs have been worth the manufacturer's recommended price.

I agree. I wasn't interested at $250, but managed to get him second hand for $150.

Though I disagree that I should have to take into account RRP when assessing a toy. I can appreciate that it may impact the relative enjoyment of a figure - the "return on investment" - the ability to appreciate the engineering of a particular transformation or reporting on the build quality experienced should be allowed to be expressed regardless of price.

Note that my additional "Yes" vote doesn't change the ultimate outcome of the poll - you would still have had 40% of people saying they should get the figure, and only 20% of people saying outright no.

So, about 5 and a half months later, I decided to check on my Hound. He has been moved from one spot of the desk to another, joints have not moved much and not been transformed. The rocket armature has been moved somewhat. And 5 cracks have been spotted (all the usual reported areas) - 3 at the rocket armature around the screw, 1 at the side at the door hinge and 1 at the back below the knee. From what I've read, the plastic was manufactured improperly so it may just be a matter of time before Hound cracks.

Just checked mine, I have one crack behind the right knee so I'm one of the luckier ones but still, . Only transformed once to robot mode when I got it and then just standing on shelf. At least I have learnt enough to not get another MP after this as they are way too expensive to be worthwhile.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

Thankfully I cannot find any hairline cracks on mine aside from the one it had straight out of the box.

Still, it's not a toy I am willing to play with!

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by christalcase View Post
    At least I have learnt enough to not get another MP after this as they are way too expensive to be worthwhile.
    What prompted me to check Hound was the cracking found on MP-52 Starscream (right vertical tail fin base and at the ankles) out of the box. I thought "Hmm, there are MP-52s cracked out of the box at common sites and ones that are OK, just like Hound. So I wonder if the OK ones will crack in time. Uh oh... I think I'd better check my Hound..."

Sadly, I suspect the cracking of plastics is - at least to an extent - a by-product of the cartoon-accurate ambition. Hound has a lot of very thin pieces of plastic on active transformation joints.

I'm not being critical of TakaraTomy when I say this... but yeah, the less ambitious more toy-inspired equivalents like Sideswipe and Inferno seem to be fine.

Luckily for me, I prefer the toy-accuracy. But... I mean, I still have a cartoon-centic Hound because... well it's not like there's an alternative,

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    Sadly, I suspect the cracking of plastics is - at least to an extent - a by-product of the cartoon-accurate ambition. Hound has a lot of very thin pieces of plastic on active transformation joints.

I'm not being critical of TakaraTomy when I say this... but yeah, the less ambitious more toy-inspired equivalents like Sideswipe and Inferno seem to be fine.

Luckily for me, I prefer the toy-accuracy. But... I mean, I still have a cartoon-centic Hound because... well it's not like there's an alternative,
    In Hound's case, the plastic itself may be at fault, based on a statement from a TakaraTOMY representative at Wonderfest 2020:

Regarding recent QC issues found in Masterpiece Hound: Regarding the factories, different materials were used in Vietnam but they were unaware how they would pan out for Hound as they were unaware of what the results will be. They know of the breakages right now, but no decision has been made for a future re-release or if they will change the factories or materials.
    Source: https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/09/...e-event-404884

It's possible that the prototypes were tested and made from a different plastic than would be used in mass production, or that early samples from the factory were lucky enough to not break. Either way, it's a shame that as many Hounds have cracked as they have, because plastic aside it's a great piece.