• Only if (something else)

3 9.68%
  • No

6 19.35%
  • Not even interested

3 9.68%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Masterpiece Hound

hobby glue is the best option. Plastic Magic from Deluxe Materials seems to work on transformers plastics. I've tried Tamiya plastic cement and it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    While I don't have any experience with hobby glue what you described seems reasonable. It seems like some others on TFW have also used a hobby glue of some sort from my scanning of the comments. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydarth View Post
    hobby glue is the best option. Plastic Magic from Deluxe Materials seems to work on transformers plastics. I've tried Tamiya plastic cement and it didn't work.
    I used Tamiya Contacta Professional, and it seems to have worked. I also sanded down the post - probably a bit too much, as it's now a bit looser than I'd like, as well as accidentally sanding down part of the circumference of the top of the post itself. The important thing is that the post rotates freely in the socket.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I used Tamiya Contacta Professional, and it seems to have worked.
    Revell Contacta Professional?

While I don't have any experience with hobby glue what you described seems reasonable. It seems like some others on TFW have also used a hobby glue of some sort from my scanning of the comments. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinkydarth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    Revell Contacta Professional?
    You're right, it was Revell. I was thinking of Tamiya because I had a Tamiya product out. Point is, it worked

In fact, I found another couple of cracks on hinges while transforming Hound just now, so I used it on them, too.

You're right, it was Revell. I was thinking of Tamiya because I had a Tamiya product out. Point is, it worked

In fact, I found another couple of cracks on hinges while transforming Hound just now, so I used it on them, too.
    Might need to try this glue myself! While the neck crack hasn't changed from day one I've just now noticed a new crack around the pin of the left side mirror. Hasn't been transformed since the time I got it, I've been checking on it periodically. I'm wondering if the temperature changes cause these cracks over time?

So how did your repairs turn out? Did you use paper to apply the glue as you first mentioned? How long do you leave it for before testing it out?

Might need to try this glue myself! While the neck crack hasn't changed from day one I've just now noticed a new crack around the pin of the left side mirror. Hasn't been transformed since the time I got it, I've been checking on it periodically. I'm wondering if the temperature changes cause these cracks over time?

So how did your repairs turn out? Did you use paper to apply the glue as you first mentioned? How long do you leave it for before testing it out?
    I was able to successfully apply the glue, and I left it alone for a day before moving associated joints (in addition to the neck post for the rocket launcher, the other affected joints were the hinges for the leg panels - the ones that end up on his calves), but the repair doesn't seem to have held - I took a look after reading your post and the cracks have opened up again on moving the joints. No idea if the area is under a lot of stress, or the glue doesn't work with this plastic, so I'm unsure whether I'll try the Revell Contacta again or if I'll try conventional superglue.

I was able to successfully apply the glue, and I left it alone for a day before moving associated joints (in addition to the neck post for the rocket launcher, the other affected joints were the hinges for the leg panels - the ones that end up on his calves), but the repair doesn't seem to have held - I took a look after reading your post and the cracks have opened up again on moving the joints. No idea if the area is under a lot of stress, or the glue doesn't work with this plastic, so I'm unsure whether I'll try the Revell Contacta again or if I'll try conventional superglue.
    Ah right that's a shame but thanks for the update. I guess there's no point in worrying about it, if it's going to crack it's going to crack no matter what we do. Will just enjoy it on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It'd be interesting to see if TakaraTOMY will reissue or release another version of MP Hound with better quality plastic. Using better plastic won't make the toy invulnerable, but it should make it less susceptible to breakage. I'd like to see this toy being released in toy-accurate colours with better quality materials. If they did that I'd consider buying it and keep one in robot mode and the other in Jeep mode and never transform my original MP Hound.

Who knows... MP3 did significantly improve when they used superior quality plastic for the Hasbro version and subsequent uses of that mould (MP6, MP7). I'd hope that re-releasing this mould with better plastic would also improve the quality of this toy. It won't be perfect, but at least better - just as we saw with MP3.

Having these itty bitty pieces is part of what they're doing to try and achieve these crazy slavish levels of show likeness, but that's what fans are demanding. Not me. I prefer toy accuracy. I like my G1 Ironhide and Ratchet having flat heads with sticker faces. My MP Grimlock always has red eyes, not blue. My second year G1 Decepticon Jets are never "coneheads." I prefer Optimus Prime and Soundwave with yellow eyes. Okay, I'm just rambling now...
    That is a Hound i would buy! The other is simply child like cartoony. Not a fan.

I reckon if they did re-release Hound that they would probably use better quality plastic. This sort of reminds me of MP3, as that toy also had rather fragile plastic, but every subsequent use of that core mould (i.e. every MP Seeker since) has used superior plastic which improved the toy. Even on Hasbro's MP3, as well as MP6 and MP7. And even MP11 onwards is still based on the same core mould (albeit retooled).

I grabbed Hasbro's MP3 as soon as I saw it at Toys R Us and I've since sold my Takara MP3. Hasbro's MP3 also had more G1 accurate colours. Aah, the days when Hasbro and Takara did different stuff. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    No cracks in mine fortunately.

I'm...gonna put it down and never.touch.it.again.
    Well I didn't listen to myself and decided to repose Hound along with the rest of my Autobot shelf.

Accidentally dropped him and snapped the shin leg panel straight off, so now half the leg has broken off. A part of me thinks a better quality plastic would've survived the fall.

I'm gonna try to use model cement to see if I can do a repair, but given that whole shin section is a very tightly packed bunch of parts, I'm not very optimistic the glue can withstand the tension.

Update: Tamiya model cement didn?t work.Switched to Selleys All Plastic Fix. Worked a charm. Looks like I?ve got a statue now.
    Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 2nd June 2020 at 03:16 PM.