2 25.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

0 0%

Thread: Toy Review - Siege Apeface

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ggrrr, Apeface's battle damage certainly is a pain in the diodes to remove.

Left: unaltered Apeface
    Centre: after two rounds of scrubbing
    Right: after a third round of scrubbing... I gave up on the shins and painted them black

That clag white.... I will never complain about Hasbro Grey again

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    That clag white.... I will never complain about Hasbro Grey again
    You win this thread, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    CONS
    - That cheap looking off-white. Why not grey?
    The plastic choice seems down to necessity, TFWiki says "Apeface's white plastic is actually super-dense nylon, which is necessary to prevent the tabs from breaking".
    As I understand it using this material means it's harder/costs more to paint, I don't really know, but it does make him look a little like something from Shapeways rather than Hasbro.
    I found this thread over on TFW, he looks much better spending the extra money on a coat of paint, so it might be worth the cost/effort to do so.
    Also found this PSA over on reddit, the wing accessory is made of translucent plastic and the connection points are too small/wing pegs too large, so be careful as others have had the pegs break off in the ports.

Is there any prospect of this releasing here at retail?
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

According to a video review, the primary flaw with Apeface is his upper chest section doesn't dock particularly well when he transforms into either ape mode or jet mode. The review showed the clip holding up his ape head disengaging several times.

These are my personal concerns:

1. No nosecone compartment for Spasma to pilot the jet. Instead, he's inside a rear compartment hidden under a spoiler wing. Seriously, what is the point of making that compartment with a transparent plastic cover if the spoiler wing completely covers it???
    2. I don't like the ape mask, would have preferred it to be disengaged so he's truly headless.
    3. As already mentioned, the battle damage is silly. Like the former example, I'll probably paint those panels black just to remove the paint effect.

Overall, I'm not terribly interested in this figure, I'm just buying him as a precaution, in case they release Snapdragon later, to make the pair of BeastTripleChangerHeadmasters.
    I know from bitter experience if I change my mind later, the scalpers will ask an exhorbitant amount for a 25$ toy, so it's better to buy them at sale price even if I'm uncertain and avoid not being able to get the toy long after the release wave is discontinued.
    Last edited by Tilarta; 6th January 2020 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post

1. No nosecone compartment for Spasma to pilot the jet. Instead, he's inside a rear compartment hidden under a spoiler wing. Seriously, what is the point of making that compartment with a transparent plastic cover if the spoiler wing completely covers it???

[...]

Overall, I'm not terribly interested in this figure, I'm just buying him as a precaution, in case they release Snapdragon later, to make the pair of BeastTripleChangerHeadmasters.
    I've seen people use the beast head mask thing as a seat, and you can fit a fully curled up Titanmaster in under the canopy. It looks sort of goofy but you get that 'head visible through the cockpit' action like on TR Megatron.

Also I believe SnapDragon was a part of the Walmart leaked listings over the weekend.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

According to a video review, the primary flaw with Apeface is his upper chest section doesn't dock particularly well when he transforms into either ape mode or jet mode. The review showed the clip holding up his ape head disengaging several times.
    Mine works fine in ape mode, although it was a bit tricky to work out at first. The jet mode I find is harder to dock in, and even when I did it it just looks stupid. Gah.

These are my personal concerns:

That's actually a really good point and it was something that bugged me about the toy when I first handled it but I forgot to mention it in my review (oops). I think that the cockpit should be in the actual front section of the jet, even if it means Spasma docking in in head mode into the ape-mask. Having it up the back is silly, but you're right, having the stupid shield cover up the window is even stupider. Although even without the shield Spasma can't see anything other than directly up. It's just a daft idea. At least TR Astrotrain/Sentinel Prime have their cockpit in an elevated position with a clear front view for the pilot.

2. I don't like the ape mask, would have preferred it to be disengaged so he's truly headless.
    I agree, but it's a necessity to make Spasma easier to fit into the ill-placed cockpit. But yeah, you could just include the ape head entirely into Spasma, that way you don't need to accommodate space to fit the mask in jet mode and just have a proper cockpit up the front of the plane! Two birds with one stone!

Headmaster Horrorcons they're called. And as SharkyMcShark has said, Snap Dragon has been revealed in a leaked listing (although with the name separated into two words now, I guess for trad

I know from bitter experience if I change my mind later, the scalpers will ask an exhorbitant amount for a 25$ toy, so it's better to buy them at sale price even if I'm uncertain and avoid not being able to get the toy long after the release wave is discontinued.
    This is a Voyager Class figure so you're not going to find it for $25! (can't even find a Deluxe for that price these days)
    I think I paid about $75 for mine including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    after a third round of scrubbing... I gave up on the shins and painted them black
    Totally don't blame you. Looks quite nice now.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.