Approximate Retail Price - $50
    Approximate Size - 16.5cm to top of head, 19.3cm to tip of nosecone
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - jet, robotic ape
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Headmaster Triple Changer
    Main Colours - purple, off-white, black, maroon

PROS
    + A well sculpted and well articulated figure
    + I like how the ape feet tab into the wings rather than just hanging loosely like they do on the G1 toy
    + The biggest improvement is losing that gigantically heavy backpack. Part of this was done by having the ape arms become the robot legs instead of just being kibble.
    + Both Apeface and "Spasma" are well balanced.
    + Both robot and ape modes are better proportioned.
    + I really like the Titan Master as it looks a lot more like G1 Spasma which TR Apeface failed to do. It's also more functional than TR Apeface since it can become both the robot and ape heads. It's also a far more G1-accurate looking head, although I must admit that on a technical level, the sculpting on TR Apeface is better (not a fan of those black eyes though).
    + Really nice use of Z-joints, double joints and strategic tabbing. The way that the robot arms fold up is reminiscent of Siege Spinister.

CONS
    - That cheap looking off-white. Why not grey?
    - The jet mode looks ridiculous; there is no way something shaped like this could fly in atmosphere. The silly amounts of air resistance alone...
    - The "battle damage" looks terrible and is extensively splattered on the shins, shoulders and nosecone. Even if you like these effects, the sheer inconsistency in application still looks bad. All of the splatters are on bumpy surfaces, making them a massive pain in the backside to remove. I've done two rounds of extensive scrubbing with my Apeface and still couldn't get all of the marks off. Removing the marks from the nosecone can be problematic as you want to avoid removing the Decepticon insignia and the beige paint decos on the sides.

OTHER (things that might be seen as pros or cons depending on your tastes)
    * Part of Apeface's superior balance does come at the cost of having the nosecone not being able to fold down, and as such it does stick out in an unsightly way. But given that it serves a practical purpose of improving balance, I can overlook it.
    * The ape mode head is split into two parts -- the eyes and top of the head are formed by "Spasma," while the lower part of the head is formed by a mask.

Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 31st December 2019 at 10:54 AM.

I have mixed feelings about this guy. On one hand, the mould is mostly good, but the deco really lets it down. The battle damage is atrocious, the legs look like they're covered in silver freckles and the damage on the nosecone just cuts off with a straight edge, it looks absolutely silly. Now usually this wouldn't be an issue except that on this particular figure it's a pain to remove. I may as well have been using water trying to remove it on mine last night. I also take issue with the cheap looking choice of off-white plastic for it. I've decided to hand it over to a friend to customise into something I'd expect of Takara during their Legends days, then I will like this figure a whole lot more, but it really shouldn't be necessary.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

What are you using to remove the battle damage?

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    What are you using to remove the battle damage?
    Rubbing alcohol. It seems to vary depending on the figure. So far I've noticed Springer and especially Apeface have been the hardest. Astrotrain was super easy, as were various other Siege figures that I've removed damage from.

Ggrrr, Apeface's battle damage certainly is a pain in the diodes to remove.

Left: unaltered Apeface
    Centre: after two rounds of scrubbing
    Right: after a third round of scrubbing... I gave up on the shins and painted them black

That clag white.... I will never complain about Hasbro Grey again

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    after a third round of scrubbing... I gave up on the shins and painted them black
    Totally don't blame you. Looks quite nice now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lint View Post
    That clag white.... I will never complain about Hasbro Grey again
    You win this thread, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    CONS
    - That cheap looking off-white. Why not grey?
    The plastic choice seems down to necessity, TFWiki says "Apeface's white plastic is actually super-dense nylon, which is necessary to prevent the tabs from breaking".
    As I understand it using this material means it's harder/costs more to paint, I don't really know, but it does make him look a little like something from Shapeways rather than Hasbro.
    I found this thread over on TFW, he looks much better spending the extra money on a coat of paint, so it might be worth the cost/effort to do so.
    Also found this PSA over on reddit, the wing accessory is made of translucent plastic and the connection points are too small/wing pegs too large, so be careful as others have had the pegs break off in the ports.

Is there any prospect of this releasing here at retail?
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.