Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15 cm Hot Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
    Well, the first difference is rather subtle, most people would miss it. Hot Rod is red, Rodimus is marone (a darker red).
    The next one is fairly noticeable though, Rodimus has black legs below the knee as compared to Hot Rod's legs which are red.

The caravan in itself is not always indicative of being Rodimus, just like Optimus without his trailer is still Optimus. I've seen some designs where Rodimus detaches from his caravan and his vehicle mode without it is identical to Hot Rod's. And in Transformers Animated, he has no caravan at all, yet is still identified as being Rodimus.
    Hot Rod's a confusing one.

The legs on the original Hot Rod toy were red. The original Rodimus Prime was similarly coloured, though with slightly muted red for the legs, and more orange creeping into the design.

In the cartoon, the two models were blended, and Hot Rod was given orange thighs and black boots, and a red body. Rodimus Prime was given a similar, but darker/less vibrant/matured colour palette.

In the early 2000's Hasbro had lost the trademark to Hot Rod, so all Hot Rod toys were called Rodimus (Animated, Energon, etc)

In 2010, Takara released a combined Hot Rod / Rodimus Prime Masterpiece that had an integrated Hot Rod - Rodimus vehicle mode. This idea was carried forth into the Power of the Primes release.

If you're looking for a decent cartoon Hot Rod, the PotP Rodimus Prime includes a relatively decent Hot Rod inner robot that would probably look decent with the Generations Arcee. The LG45 is a great toy, but a bit more muted in colour which I personally associate more with Rodimus Prime (in terms of cartoon accuracy - I personally prefer the muted look to the vibrant colour scheme), but the brighter TR one which you've gone with is probably closer to what you're after.

Uncertain about the scale matching of the PoTP inner Hot Rod, because of this comparison I created using my own toys and a screencapture from a video toy review:

The video review showed the inner Hot Rod as being leader/commander scale, which is a fair bit bigger then I was expecting or wanting.

I am curious, did they reclaim that trademark back later?
    Because in Cyberverse and Titans Return Machinma, he's called Het Rod.

POTP Rodimus Prime combined robot mode is Leader Scale ~23cm
    The inner Hot Rod is voyager scale at ~17-18cm
    Does not sound like it’ll meet your need.

They got the name “Hot rod” back in 2016.

I understand what you’re saying about aesthetics of hot rod v Rodimus but I still think Takara LG 45 is one the best iterations of hot rod

I wonder if it would be possible to remove the TakaraTomy chest piece and install in my Hot Rod?
    That's the main thing I don't like about this figure, that his chest piece is too different. Also, that there's no Targetmaster port in his engine block, since I'm pairing him with Firebolt from the Siege line.
    So I'm assuming that swapping the chest pieces would fix those problems.
    But in order to investigate that, I'd probably need a cheap TakaraTomy LG45, preferably an unboxed second hand one, since I'll just be taking the toy to pieces for spare parts.

Also wondering if the TakaraTomy version would allow his head to stay attached while in vehicle mode, it looks like the solid panel blocking that in vehicle mode isn't there, due to the spinning engine block/panel design.

This is where I got the idea about Hot Rod's legs being mostly red:

Since these ingame designs are usually based on real world toys, if anyone knows which toys, I'd be interested to learn the answers.

That head will make it a much more 'authentic' version of Hot Rod than the original headmaster (Rodimus), but the trick will be to do the painting right to match. Wish you the best of luck in this regard, and it would be nice to see a photo of the two of them together (Hot Rod and Arcee). I can't remember the original G1 story with the Springer Hot Rod Arcee triangle, but I always thought they'd be a cute couple.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I'm working on kitbashing him into a G1 style Targetmaster:

When I get my Singe toy, I'll swap their arms around so Firebolt resembles his G1 version more precisely.

I'm hoping the head mod will allow me to fit the head in here while in vehicle mode, but not sure if this is possible yet.
    Still waiting for that part to arrive, it usually takes two months for Shapeways orders to get to me.

Then it will just be a matter of repainting, if I can find an appropriate red and yellow plus the base layer paint.
    Will have to mask some of it, since I don't want to paint the entire chest piece red.

Update:
    The head mod arrived and it did allow me to slot it in while in vehicle mode, so he's not headless when he transforms:

I still have to remove it temporarily because there isn't enough clearance to rotate the hood while the head is attached.

Now all I need is to finish modding Firebolt and the project will be complete.
    Shipment of Singe to Australia has been delayed by Hasbro, according to the online retailer who is selling me my toy.
    Last edited by Tilarta; 17th February 2020 at 03:31 PM.