Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your yearly budget?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    I spend about $200 on average per week...

Yes... that works out to about $10,000 per year.
    (well, I do add about 400 items to the collection every year, so it all adds up)

I used to buy a fair bit from Japan, but not in the last two years thanks to the rapid rise in pricing of Masterpiece toys, and the small amount of Japanese-only Transformers now that the main lines (Studio Series, Cyberverse, Generations) are all identical to the Hasbro versions.
    But that saving has been offset by the growing number of exclusives not making to Australia since the collapse of ToysRUs, requiring a lot of importing and buying from inflated secondary markets.
    Do your delivery people know you well?

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Do your delivery people know you well?
    It is a worry when I go to the post office lately and I don't need to say my box number to some of the staff...

Very very small.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I spend about $200 on average per week...

Yes... that works out to about $10,000 per year.
    (well, I do add about 400 items to the collection every year, so it all adds up)

I used to buy a fair bit from Japan, but not in the last two years thanks to the rapid rise in pricing of Masterpiece toys, and the small amount of Japanese-only Transformers now that the main lines (Studio Series, Cyberverse, Generations) are all identical to the Hasbro versions.
    But that saving has been offset by the growing number of exclusives not making to Australia since the collapse of ToysRUs, requiring a lot of importing and buying from inflated secondary markets.
    Do you find yourself a bit over it? I mean, that level of collecting, over the period you have done it, must get tiresome. I couldn’t do it. It must be having quite the impact on your life.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Do you find yourself a bit over it? I mean, that level of collecting, over the period you have done it, must get tiresome. I couldn’t do it. It must be having quite the impact on your life.
    I go through periods of interest highs and lows... like in the last half year I've been focussing on re-organising the collection and doing a complete count/audit of everything that I (should) have, which is huge chore, particularly as I've been finding some things that I wasn't properly keeping track of in previous years (toys that I didn't note on my collection website, probably during low points of interest), or having to research release listings to be sure that I have toys on the correct shelves (if it was a bigger toyline that spread over 2 or more shelves).

And to avoid distractions, I've had to stop opening up new toys since last October... so I have a huge pile of toys I want to rip open and play, but I have "work" that needs to be done first.

That "work" is almost done, as I just finished on Monday night, counting the toy shelves in my collection and updating all of the webpages (not uploaded yet), which has given me a total "playable toy" count of 7,447 (that's officially released by Hasbro or Takara(Tomy) - action figures, figurines, playsets, remote-control, roleplay, plush and construction toys). That number does NOT include officially released models, statues, puzzles, boardgames, or licensed "toys" and merchandise. I will be counting those things next, and photographing them as I dont have too much of it photographed for my collection website, and those items have been estimated to be between 1,500 to 1,700.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I go through periods of interest highs and lows... like in the last half year I've been focussing on re-organising the collection and doing a complete count/audit of everything that I (should) have, which is huge chore, particularly as I've been finding some things that I wasn't properly keeping track of in previous years (toys that I didn't note on my collection website, probably during low points of interest), or having to research release listings to be sure that I have toys on the correct shelves (if it was a bigger toyline that spread over 2 or more shelves).

And to avoid distractions, I've had to stop opening up new toys since last October... so I have a huge pile of toys I want to rip open and play, but I have "work" that needs to be done first.

That "work" is almost done, as I just finished on Monday night, counting the toy shelves in my collection and updating all of the webpages (not uploaded yet), which has given me a total "playable toy" count of 7,447 (that's officially released by Hasbro or Takara(Tomy) - action figures, figurines, playsets, remote-control, roleplay, plush and construction toys). That number does NOT include officially released models, statues, puzzles, boardgames, or licensed "toys" and merchandise. I will be counting those things next, and photographing them as I dont have too much of it photographed for my collection website, and those items have been estimated to be between 1,500 to 1,700.
    Holy crap dude!

Besides work and novelty junk foods, does your hobby allow regular time in your life for pursuits and leisure that isn’t TF related?

Well, my life has been in a bit of a holding pattern in the last year or so... and I know that I do need to get out more...

My other main interest is travelling, but the expense of the last year's huge number of imported collector figures didn't leave me with much to play with (resulting in just the two annual trips of Melbourne Toyfair and Christmas)... and my two preferred overseas destinations for toys & food are currently off my list due to no more official TFs conventions (America) and civil unrest (HK). I have other places I want to visit, but I just don't have the enthusiasm for exploring somewhere new at the moment.

Actually, after the whole debacle with Guinness last year that ended up being a bit of a waste of time, it did help be the catalyst for me to re-focus my plans on doing something public with my collection, and as I spent more time processing and updating the shelves and collection webpage, I really started to fixate on getting to 10,000 Transformers items in the collection... without changing my collecting habits just to make up numbers (like buying duplicates or toys I have no interest in).

^Great questions and frank answers. That was an enjoyable insight.

I would like to have a tf budget but that requires sorting out the overall budget (which i’ll get to)
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

My budget usually ends up being “whatever I need to buy that year”, now that I can afford things. Most of the time clocks in at the same amount. I am horrible when it comes to older items particularly on auction for a good starting price.

Pounced on Henkei Mirage, Hound and Siege Omega because the opportunity presented.

I definitely have periods of high and lows, especially when there’s a new wave. Purchases will typically sit dormant for a couple months between big release windows, or I’ll focus on something different at times, like my Pichu card collection.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

*snip*
    Actually, after the whole debacle with Guinness last year that ended up being a bit of a waste of time, *snip.
    Wait, what?

Links to current GWR holder:
    https://www.facebook.com/GuinnessWor...7236275629032/

https://exclumagazine.com/2020/01/01...ction-gallery/