Thread: Packaging Problems

Default Packaging Problems

Is it just me or do you ever find yourself in a toy department looking at Transformers and wanting to give advice to parents who are woefully out of their depth? It happened to me yesterday and I observed just how confusing it all must be to the novice.

A kid was telling a parent they like 'Autobots' but it can be difficult to tell at a glance who fits what faction. And it just got worse from there. The parent was looking at Cyberverse, Siege and Studio Series toys as if they were interchangeable and asking a slightly flustered staff member whether any of them were likely to fall apart. A bit later the parent asked if their kid wanted 'Jetblast' because that gimmick descriptor features on the packaging more prominently than the name of Cyberverse Prowl. Designers of toy packaging should just snoop about the shelves now-and-then to see what problems they cause.

Tangentially, now that Hasbro have taken over Power Rangers, their packaging is markedly more enticing, and possibly even the toys look better than they did...

Your post inspired me to have a look at some of my recent purchases. I hadn't noticed that the toys had stopped saying "Autobot" or "Decepticon" on them (unless it's part of the toy's name for Trademarks). My Cyberverse Sky-Byte does say he's a Decepticon on the back, but the Siege and Studio Series, and POTP, just rely on the symbol. After 35 years of buying these things I read that symbol in a microsecond so I never noticed when it dropped off.

I'm also now really curious when they did stop regularly making it clear, and if it's come and gone over the various packaging types.

The trend in some of the recent series to put an Autobot symbol on the packaging of ALL figures, and then Decepticon symbol on the packaging of all ALL figures was also a weird thing.

The "hidden" allegiance in the Reveal The Shield toys was an interesting in that the gimmick extended to the packaging.

I've also found differences in packaging over the year that make it really hard to tell what the character is without removing it from the shelf, while other lines have the name or individual artwork on the side of the box that shows you who is who without removing a string of deluxes from the pegs to see who the last on is on the line.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)