Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Masterpieces - are we spoiled?

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    It was a the best representation of everything that that character was - not a screen accurate replica that allows us to re-enact the cartoon.
    I don't think that era was the best representation of everything that character was. It's how the designer interpreted the character. If his vision fits with yours, then more power to you. I don't even know how to describe MP-10. It's Optimus Prime alright, but it doesn't look like any Optimus Prime I'd seen before. It has some toy influences. I can't even see any cartoon influences. There are too many liberties taken.

I've been concerned with the G1 aspect of the Masterpiece line for a whole different reason. MP-51 Arcee is an odd choice and looking like the only G1 release for the rest of the year. It's slow down to a halt. I wonder if they're done.

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    I don't even know how to describe MP-10. It's Optimus Prime alright, but it doesn't look like any Optimus Prime I'd seen before. It has some toy influences. I can't even see any cartoon influences. There are too many liberties taken.
    Let's compare...

(T = original G1 toy; C = Sunbow cartoon; M = MP10 toy) - let's assume that in the cartoon model that white = chrome and grey = silver
    * T = yellow visor-like eyes on blue face; C = blue eyes on silver face; M = blue eyes on silver face.
    * T = thick shorter antennae; C = thin longer antennae; M = thin longer antennae.
    * T = insignia on both upper arms; C = insigne on left upper arm only; M = insigne on left upper arm only.
    * T = chrome/silver stripes on both upper arms; C = no stripes on upper arms; M = no stripes on upper arms.
    * T = has windscreen wipers; C = no windscreen wipers; M = has windscreen wipers.
    * T = top of forearm is black with 2 blue "tubes" and 1 silver "button"; C = forearms entirely red w/ 2 small rectangles & 1 triangle; M = predominantly red forearms with 2 small rectangles & 1 triangle in yellow.
    * T = forearms are recessed below (to give room for the front wheels); C = no recession on forearms; M = no recession.
    * T = no true waist section, has entirely chrome front bumper; C = has true waist section w/ yellow decos and blue pubic basin; M = has true waist section w/ yellow decos and blue pubic basin.
    * T = chrome thighs; C = chrome thighs; M = grey thighs.
    * T = all wheels are visible; C = all wheels are not visible; M = all wheels are concealed.
    * T = blue stripes along sides of trailer; C = no blue stripes on trailer; M = blue stripes on trailer.
    * T = blue support struts for combat deck; C = blue support struts; M = black support struts.
    * T = chrome/silver stripes along front and sides of truck cab; C = no stripes on cab; M = silver stripes on cab.

On the whole I would say that MP10's robot mode is very much biased towards the cartoon rather than G1 toy-accuracy, whereas the truck mode is more G1 accurate. Obviously MP44 is going for cartoon likeness in both modes, as is the intention of the toy (and is also reflected in a greater level of complexity and a much higher price point). I personally prefer MP10 as I prefer toy-accuracy and I prefer the more realistic looking truck mode ('cept for the robot legs, I know, I know). I don't think that any of the MP Convoys are necessarily better or worse than they other; I think that they're all great for their respective prices. It's like comparing the same character made as a Deluxe, Voyager and Leader Class figure... obviously the dearer toys will offer more, but they also cost more. There's nothing wrong with the cheaper versions per se. Obviously Takara(TOMY) can afford to do more with a toy when they have a bigger budget to work with. Bear in mind that MP44 is, as of now, the single most expensive Transformer ever (I know that HasLab Unicron will eclipse this, but right now, MP44 is the most expensive TF).

(RRP)
    MP01 = 10290JPY = $150
    MP10 = 22000JPY = $326 (214% dearer than MP01)
    MP44 = 50000JPY = $742 (227% dearer than MP10 or 486% dearer than MP01)
    P.S.: And I'm speaking as someone who was initially unimpressed by MP10. I personally still find MP01 to be the best value for money; I felt that MP01 was well worth the asking price, whereas I find MP10 and MP44 are good if you can get them for below full RRP but I don't feel that either of them are worth paying full quid for.