Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Parcel from hong kong and coronavirus in china

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Thanks all, well it is in australia now ( we are in for 3 days of hot weather in sydney )

I feel like just chucking it in the bin if anyone wondering what it is it is star wars r2d2 vc149
    I, would just leave it for a while somewhere isolated, do a little research on the virus; in general, some can survive outside the body on surfaces for days but then die off. The coronavirus is mostly spread via animal contact with humans. I wouldn't throw out your figures over this. If you're really really worried maybe ask at the doctors next time you're there before you open the package. I am sure that the medical doctors in practice are briefed on this virus as part of there employment and medical responsibilities.

I am not a doctor or scientist or anyone with medical or scientific knowledge; If it were me, I would ask at the doctors next time your there. Maybe even Australia post can assist you if you give them a call. I'm sure Aust post have already encountered this question to cover themselves they would have sought advice.

It's my opinion hope this helped.

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infect...-faqs.aspx#1-3

I found this under the linke - I'm not an expert just found this on the NSW Government health page

How is the virus spread? Can I catch it?

Coronavirus experts think that it’s likely that the novel coronavirus originated in an animal species, and then spread to humans.

Person to person spread of the novel coronavirus is reported as occurring, but it is not yet understood how easily this happens.

Other human coronavirus strains are spread from person to person through contaminated droplets from a person who is sick with the illness (through coughing or sneezing) or contaminated hands, and generally occurs between people who are close contacts with one another. It is likely this novel coronavirus spreads the same way.

The novel coronavirus does not appear to last very long on surfaces. The risk of this virus being present on imported packages or products is negligible.

The best way to protect yourself is the same as you would against any respiratory infection. Practice good hygiene by:

making sure to clean your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or an alcohol-based hand rub
    cover your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or a flexed elbow
    avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
    (NSW Government 2020).

Research can definitely be of help in calming down fears over virus outbreaks. For example, coronaviruses are what is known as an enveloped virus.
    An enveloped virus is a virus with a lipid coating that allows the virus to quickly bind to organisms, leading to infection, but the coating is also very fragile and easy to destroy.
    Once that coating is destroyed, either through heat or disinfectants (even soap is generally enough to destroy it), the virus quickly dries out and becomes inactive, unable to infect or cause illness.

I could go into more detail and link page after page of information, but suffice to say that the chances of any virus particles being on your parcel, let alone 2019-nCoV ones, is virtually nil.
    If you still want that extra peace of mind you can by all means follow the steps outlined in my previous post, just a few hours of direct sunlight on a 30°C day will destroy most any nasties.

Disclaimer time: I'm also no expert, I'm not a trained medical professional, but I have done my research on more than a few medical topics, both for peace of mind and to be better able to handle situations that have arisen.
    If you are still concerned by all means go speak to a doctor, but in all likelihood they will say much of the same, that unless you have contact with an infected individual it's unlikely that you're at any risk.

Take it from me, we can definitely be our own worst enemies in these situations.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    Thanks all, well it is in australia now ( we are in for 3 days of hot weather in sydney )

i feel like just chucking it in the bin if anyone wondering what it is it is star wars r2d2 vc149
    In that case I would keep it unopened for a few more weeks until the epidemic has spread more widely, and we all have nora corona virus and it's no longer a threat.

Seriously though, unless you're immunocompromisec and are generally healthy, this strain of corona doesn't present a serious risk. I am immunodeficient, and my GP told me that it doesn't present a health risk. Why people are dying at the moment is lack of access to medical care in China, or the elderly and infirm. Don't let media hype rob you of your enjoyment of the droids. These ARE the droids you're looking for
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

According to Robotkingdom, HK post have temporarily suspended their services.
    Might be worth asking them what the dealio is if you have anything in transit/processing

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    According to Robotkingdom, HK post have temporarily suspended their services.
    Might be worth asking them what the dealio is if you have anything in transit/processing
    To limit the spread of the virus, the HK Government announced 3 days ago (JAN 28th) that employees at government agencies are to remain at home until FEB 2nd, by which the situation will be reviewed. HK Post then noted that this would mean that post offices won't be open during this time, and they wouldn't be doing pickups either.
    So yeah... shopping from HK online stores since JAN 28th, will mean that the orders will not be posted until the HK government allows their workers to go back to public duties.

Good thing Transformers are made in Vietnam. Too bad much of my other major hobby, PC hardware, is made in China.

A video explaining what happens when you get infected by the coronavirus
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTYfke545vI
    TL;DW
    • unless you have a compromised immune system, then you'll pretty much have flu-like symptoms for just over a week and then get better. The majority of fatalities have been elderly people. More people die from the common cold, malaria and heart disease.

• best ways to combat the spread of the virus; anyone who's recently come from China should be quarantined for a fortnight; indeed schools have told all students to stay home for fourteen days from the date of their return to Australia. The other one is hand washing. Carrying around a hand sanitiser might be a good idea.

But yeah, for most healthy individuals there's not much of a threat other than getting sick. But of course, we can become carriers of the virus and spread it to babies or the elderly, so it is a good idea to try and isolate this disease, but at the same time there's no need for panic either.

Thank you , for the helpful advice.

Apparently it can?t survive contact with alcohol so something as simple as medi wipes which are 70% isopropyl alcohol or spray which you should find at the chemist. With gloves and a mask just to be safe, wipe it all down and it should be ok.