Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parcel from hong kong and coronavirus in china

Default Parcel from hong kong and coronavirus in china

Hi all have a parcel coming from hong kong and just wondering what i should do as the corona virus pandemic started to rear it ugly head in that area.
    So i am wondering if it will be okay to receive it safely.

I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where someone coughs into a package that Homer ends up receiving. There's a meme out there with this current crisis.

I wouldn't know tbh, but if we start over cautious, where does it end?

Lick it and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where someone coughs into a package that Homer ends up receiving. There's a meme out there with this current crisis.

I wouldn't know tbh, but if we start over cautious, where does it end?
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Lick it and see what happens?
    Funny replys but have serious question

That's why my second part of my reply is more serious. If you're that worried though, spray everything with disinfectant and wear a P2 mask while opening.

Not a doctor, obviously, but my understanding is that viruses don't tend to be able to live for long periods outside of living beings. Travel time of a parcel from HK to Australia feels like it would be long enough period. If you want to be extra cautious, and nothing wrong with that, collect it with gloves, wrap it in plastic and leave it alone for a few weeks and by then anything living in or outside the box should have died.

At the moment, the unnamed coronavirus in question is believed to be spread via animal to human contact... and as Paul said, they don't really survive too long outside of living things. So unless you're importing Hong Kong's wildlife or a live chicken you should be okay.

Also, Hong Kong isn't really China in this context. Separate customs territories. So there's also that.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Think about it: if the virus was able to be spread via packages, then they would also cease all mail traffic, on top of restricting population movements.

It's an understandable concern due to governments downplaying the seriousness of the issue in order to reduce panic, and fear mongers over selling the seriousness of the situation for fun and profit.
    Due to the way viruses spread it's highly unlikely that 2019-nCoV would last long on the surface of a parcel, at average temperatures respiratory viruses tend to be deactivated after a few days at most.

More information: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ealth-response
    There's also general information on the AU governments health website https://www.health.gov.au/health-top...irus-2019-ncov but the CDC page specifically addresses the concern about incoming mail.
    You're honestly more likely to get 2019-nCoV from the mailman than from the parcel itself, but as I said it is an understandable concern.

If you're still worried, spray the box with a disinfectant spray and, if possible, allow it to dry for a few hours in direct sunlight on a hot day. Otherwise a few days in a hot room would be a good alternative.
    The main things are heat and dryness, most viruses become inactive when the surface they are on has been dry for a few days and temperatures have been consistently above 30 degrees Celsius.
    Last edited by DarkHyren; 31st January 2020 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks all, well it is in australia now ( we are in for 3 days of hot weather in sydney )

i feel like just chucking it in the bin if anyone wondering what it is it is star wars r2d2 vc149