Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Botcon 2021 announced

Finally some first-hand info has come out, and I'm not as excited now...

Bret Lovell answers some peoples questions about the new Botcon at about the 1 hour 8 minute mark of the Stasis Lock Podcast.
    #1 Pete Sinclair is a stock holder in the BC Productions Company, but not a majority shareholder
    #2 Bret Lovell is the Manager of BC Productions
    #3 Karl Hartman is involved in the process of planning and running the show
    #4 Bret wants Botcon to be AFFORDABLE and to bring it back to the Pre-2001 days
    #5 Night Shining is a Licensee to sell Botcon Product. They are a separate show.
    #6 Bret is open to Licensing out the name to others for other products.
    #7 This is a continuation of Botcon, not a start over.
    #8 Night Shining was the first company to approach them to sell product, so that 's why they have Botcon merchandise for sale.
    #9 BC Productions started within the last month, so everything is happening fast.
    #10 Primal Sabbath is involved in making the Botcon Product Guide.
    #11 The name of the main author of the Product Guide is currently being withheld.
    #12 Bret's goal is avoid previous mistakes made by previous Botcon companies.
    So it sounds like a group of fans (I still have no idea who Bret Lovell is, as I've never heard of him before), put together enough money to buy the rights to the BotCon trademark from FunPublications & register a new BotCon company, and plan to use the name for merchandising, not just conventions... which means we could see the BotCon brand be licensed out around the world on events and products.
    The first licensed "BotCon" merchandise will be a guidebook of past BotCon products, to be sold at Pete's Robocon in a few months time. (as noted above, Pete is one of the shareholders of the new BotCon company, with his existing company "Night Shining" (which does the RoboCon event) being the one first using the name).

As a fan of BotCon, I'm not too excited about the name being a money-maker, being slapped onto all sorts of things for a fee... particularly if they aren't being sold at a BotCon event as BotCon merchandise.
    It's still very early, so I'll wait a little longer to see, and hope that this is something that Hasbro get involved with, if it really is a "continuation of BotCon".

Now I'm even more confused. How could you 'license' Botcon for merchandising? Just slap there word botcon on shirts and hats to sell, what, dozens? I thought it was somewhat bizarre when I clicked on the store link (I was hoping for a cache of unsold past botcon toys) and saw the shirts. I assumed it was just a prelude to what might be coming, and not the entirety of their efforts
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Now I'm even more confused. How could you 'license' Botcon for merchandising? Just slap there word botcon on shirts and hats to sell, what, dozens? I thought it was somewhat bizarre when I clicked on the store link (I was hoping for a cache of unsold past botcon toys) and saw the shirts. I assumed it was just a prelude to what might be coming, and not the entirety of their efforts
    That's what I don't get either. I know that "BotCon" is an iconic concept or word, but only really among a small number of hardcore Transformers fans, so licensing it out for producing non-toy merchandise, seems a little weird. Even during BotCon's golden periods, around about 2000-2002 and 2007-2011, when it was more positive than negative, prompting most fans to consider it the one event they needed to attend at least once in their lives.... there wasn't really a demand for non-toy items with "BotCon" written on them. I went to all but one BotCon since 1999 and was always buying stuff at the convention for others back here in Australia, but very rarely did I get requests for non-toy BotCon items. And those non-toy items weren't being requested because they had BotCon on them, but because of what they were or what they had on them (like comics, stickers, shot glasses or hats that just had regular Transformers logos on them).

The first of the official BotCon merchandise comes out this year, which includes....
    - the first volume of the BotCon product guide (two cover versions - Pete's Robocon version and regular version),
    - 4 different Tshirts (each has "BotCon Est 1994" on the front - blue one with first BotCon logo for the regular pack, red one with first logo sold by Pete's RoboCon, blue/grey one with 3H era Logo sold by Pete's RoboCon, black one with FunPub era logo for the RoboCon pack)
    - a convention badge similar to what they had at BotCon 1994 (part of the regular pack)
    - a lanyard with BotCon on it (part of the RoboCon pack)

With the 2021 BotCon now being noted as being during our Winter (mid-year), a little over a year away from a convention full of expensive limited BotCon souvenirs, we are already being bombarded with limited expensive BotCon souviners, as if there is a demand for them without a convention to commemorate them with.

(if someone obsessed with BotCon like me who attended 16 of them and has almost every BotCon toy and non-toy item ever produced, has almost no interest in non-convention items (I'll get the product guide, as it covers the toys that I collected), what chance do they have at selling these to Transformers fans who have been to less BotCons, or none at all - even FunPublications had the sense to only sell exclusive toys outside of the annual convention, and if they didn't sell at the event, they didn't sell out on their website later)

Pete's RoboCon is in June, at the same hotel as the final BotCon in 2016 (Louisville Kentucky), for that exclusive version of the product guide along with three different t-shirts and a lanyard.... while the regular edition of the product guide comes as a pack with the t-shirt and convention badge have been listed on BBTS, for a very hefty US$75.
    Judging by the description of the 144 page soft cover book, it is only covering the 180-odd toy exclusives... but maybe a planned 2nd volume will cover non-toy exclusive items, like t-shirts, posters, comics, trading cards, etc.

This special "1994" edition of BotCon Beyond The Convention: The Ultimate Product Guide, is only available at BigBadToyStore! The 144-page, softcover book has an exclusive cover featuring Generation 2 Breakdown and is limited to only 300 copies.
    Each book will be bundled with a limited edition BotCon 1994 throwback T-shirt, and a limited edition BotCon 1994 inspired attendee pin. The t-shirt is based on the original purple t-shirt design. The attendee pin is like the original design and will feature the number 127 because the very first BotCon had 126 total attendees. The t-shirt and pin will only be available in this BBTS Exclusive bundle.
    Every year during its tenure from 1994 to 2016, the BotCon conventions offered fans the chance to purchase new and exciting exclusive action figures to add to their collections or take home as extra special souvenirs. Over 180 of these exclusives were produced during those 22 years, ranging from repainted figures to full redecos to re-sculpted parts to fully new accessories and action figures only available at the events!
    BotCon Beyond The Convention: The Ultimate Product Guide Volume 1 is set to be the first publication to collect and catalog every single exclusive and provide a comprehensive guide to every figure sold by 3H, Men In Black, OTFCC, and Fun Publications. Volume 1 showcases the figures, accessories, and convention memorabilia with clear and clean photography letting these amazing collectors’ pieces have the perfect display to dazzle. In addition to that, there will be over 16 pages of behind the scenes and in progress images of the various levels of production of a BotCon exclusive.

Whether reliving nostalgia or fawning over what collectors may deem as “a grail”, BotCon Beyond The Convention Volume 1 will be a remarkable reference for toy fanatics everywhere!

Product Features

• Softcover book
    • 144 Pages
    • Limited edition of 300
    • By James M. Kavanaugh, Jr. and Dakota Rabörn
    • Throwback T-Shirt based on the original 1994 design (Sizes Small to 3X)
    • Limited edition 1994 Attendee Pin #127
    • BBTS exclusive bundle

The products being sold by Pete's RoboCon...
    - The pre-BotCon party registration pack (US$98), Admission and Friday night party, with exclusive version of the BotCon book (also limited to 300 copies - a total of 600 being sold), exclusive t-shirt (black version) and exclusive lanyard (different to any that were used at the different BotCons).
    - red version t-shirt (US$19)
    - blue/grey version t-shirt (US$20)

The company that now owns the BotCon trademark, has listed a lot of the old FunPub magazines and comics on their online store, but as bundles though, so if you are desperately wanting just one or two missing issues, you will have to buy a lot of others with it... but they are heavily discounted though, from their original prices.

Their main page notes that the Robocon is now listed as being on July 24-25, which is a month later than originally planned. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being cancelled though, as a month shouldn't see much difference in the situation over there.

I realise that setting convention dates and locations probably isn't high on everyone's priority right now given the number of comic and toy conventions being cancelled in the last month, but I really hope that this is set sufficiently far in the future that it doesn't get canned too. I have only been to one Botcon, but it was a magical experience. After such a epic fail that was 2020, I think we can all use a little hope and dream right now.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

The virtual version of this year's Robocon has revealed the first of next year's BotCon exclusives... and it is not something I was expecting.

The Robocon conventions have had their own exclusive toys in the past, with their custom classes using current retail toys (which I think they go around to stores to buy up), to then custom paint.... but it was always going to be a wait and see on if the new BotCon was going to be selling exclusive toys, and if they did, would they be officially produced toys from Hasbro, or something unlicensed/unauthorised (like 3rd party redecos that other conventions like TFCon has).

The new company producing BotCon appears to be an official distributor/source of some other toys, and this first BotCon exclusive is using one of those toys (a futuristic soldier) done in Waspinator colours and calling it Wasp Raider.

Unless they have managed to get some exclusive toys from Hasbro, I'm not sure how I feel about this sort of thing... having non-Transformers toy moulds done in Transformers colourings. The "Only Human" toys were okay because they were based on something in the cartoon, but this just doesn't look right.
    I know that the 2004 Actionmaster Breakdown toy was not official or authorised, and I don't count it as part of my official collection count, but I just don't know how I would feel having a lot more BotCon toys that don't count as Transformers (if they didn't get anything produced by Hasbro).
    And if they did get toys done by Hasbro for the convention (which should be possible, as any business entity can ask for a promotional exclusive, as long as they can pay for them), why not show them off first, to generate more excitement than this sort of non-Transformers toy.

Opinions seem mixed on TFW, so it could have been more positive if they started off with something more "traditional".

In all honesty, I am really confused over the background of this toy and where it is from.
    It is being produced by someone who sells toys under the label of Action Force, which many of us 80s fans would remember being the name for GIJoe in the UK.
    Independent toy company Valaverse, founded and owned by former Hasbro designer Bobby Vala
    From what I can tell, these new Action Figure toys have nothing to do with the original GIJoe, and I would have thought that Hasbro would still own the trademark, since they were referenced in the IDW Revolutionaries comic a couple years ago.

My guess is that these people who are doing "Action Force" toys are doing them without authorisation or licensing (their site doesn't mention any licensing or owner company like Hasbro), making them 3rd party toys... which was something that the previous administrators of BotCon were very opposed to anything to do with 3rd party toys.
    I supposed the business that now owns the BotCon trademark does not have the same problem with unauthorised toys, which will mean that Hasbro won't have anything to do with the event (like having an exhibit or presentation), and a lot of the people I knew from BotCon won't attend, making the event no different to any other Transformers fan convention that wasn't BotCon of old.

From Pete on TFW, correcting one of my suspicions...

Hey! Just to clarify. Action Force is a trademarked name of a toy line produced by Valaverse. Just as there are numerous robot toy lines, Kaiju lines, superhero lines, this is an original IP based on ‘fantasy’ military fighting forces. Their most recent announcement before today that caused quite the stir was Valaverse’s partnership with Sgt. Slaughter. That’s right... The Sarge is part of Action Force now!

So no, nothing has changed with BotCon and the way it approaches unlicensed ‘3rd party’ products. Partnerships will only be with brands that are considered original IP’s and/or are protected by trademark. That has always been and will continue to be very important to BotCon.
    If Valaverse owns the trademark of Action Force now, it doesn't seem obvious on their website. But if what he says is true, they will only be using legitimate toys and providers... and with the mention of Robot toys coming, maybe they have got something from Hasbro after all.
    Pete's comment a few posts later suggests it could just be a case of Transformers character colours on robotic toys produced by other legitimate companies, so I wonder how that will look to Hasbro. After all, current 3rd party toys are representations of Transformers characters on non-Hasbro moulds as well, from companies that may well produce their own legitimate toys.
    This is a stand alone exclusive. There will be other lines that BotCon looks to partner with though.
    At the very least, keeping their convention free of unauthorised toys leaves the door open to having Hasbro involved at the event with presentations.

Post #83 at the link above tries to explain the legalities of this "Action Force" toy & toyline, which helps make some sense of the situation...

the 1980s "G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero" toyline was released under the name "Action Force" in the UK. However:
    1) I'm not sure if Hasbro ever trademarked the name in the United States at all, considering it was (to my knowledge) only used in Europe. Trademarks need to be secured and protected for each market individually. There is no such thing as automatic worldwide trademark protection.
    2) Unlike copyrights that last until 70 years following the death of the creator, trademarks have a very short expiration date. You don't use it, you lose it. Very quickly. So unless Hasbro has released anything under the name "Action Force" in recent years, they have no claim to the name, and Night Shining/whoever could have secured it with no problem whatsoever.

That is just sad.

TFCon is the official unofficial convention now. It’s run by people that are actually competent and have numerous shows in the US and Canada.

I ask you, as a legitimate question, what can Botcon offer? All I can think is that he’s trying his best to get the licence back.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain