View Poll Results: Earthrise Optimus Prime - worth buying?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 56.00%
  • Only of (cheap or something else)

9 36.00%
  • No

1 4.00%
  • Not even interested

1 4.00%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Leader Optimus Prime

Default Toy Review - Earthrise Leader Optimus Prime

Earthrise Optimus Prime
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Earthrise
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New, with <10% parts from Siege Voyager Optimus Prime mould
    Wave - 1
    Released here - FEB 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - AU $75 - 100
    Approximate Size - 17 cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Truck cab
    Main Features/Gimmicks -
    Main Colours - Red, blue, grey, black, silver
    Main Accessories - Blaster rifle, matrix of leadership, trailer

Initial thoughts...

Siege Voyager Optimus Prime mould was a shellformer wearing truck parts on the outside of the robot body (mainly on the arms and the giant backpack).

Earthrise Optimus Prime, is a shellformer wearing truck parts (side doors and front grill) on the inside of the robot body, with the front bumper and front wheels folded compactly (and relatively unobtrusively) behind the hips.

The two robots only share less than 10% of the parts: only the head, shins and feet. Earthrise Optimus Prime is pretty much a very different toy with a different transformation. I think the transformation of the new torso is much more elegantly done, quite impressive considering it now also has the matrix chamber. The legs on the Siege mould had the more involved transformation though. Overall I think the new toy is nicer, and feels like a mini MP-10 toy.

I think I prefer the plastic used on the Siege toy. The Siege toy did have a more cartoony look (despite the silver dirt painted on), while the new Earthrise toy looks more grim with the darker red and silver details.

The trailer feels very cheap and too small though...

L to R: Siege Prime and Earthrise Prime

L to R: G1 Prime, Earthrise Prime, and Bumblebee Movie Prime

Earthrise Prime with Earthrise trailer

Siege Prime with Earthrise trailer

G1 Prime with Earthrise trailer (cannot connect properly)

Bumblebee Movie Prime with Earthrise trailer

Earthrise trailer opened

If these are shellformers than they are the best shellformers ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehirn View Post
    If these are shellformers than they are the best shellformers ever.
    Hmm, they're not what I would call a shellformer personally - seems like a perfectly involved and fair transformation.

'Shellformer' has more of a 'weak' connotation to it, like where the entire altmode ends up on the back maybe folded in half (I'm thinking most versions of Scourge's 'Space Soap', the original Classics Megatron NERF gun, Siege Starscream, etc).

And now we've got Arcee and Cliffjumper leading the new category, 'Shitformer', which is worse than a 'Partsformer' since the parts don't even do anything remotely convincing...but that's off topic sorry...

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shellformer

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Partformer

Before weight loss...

After weight loss...

Find the wheels on the trailer off putting. Reminds me of something I'd see on a plastic knock-off at a market. Will have to pass on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Find the wheels on the trailer off putting. Reminds me of something I'd see on a plastic knock-off at a market. Will have to pass on this one.
    It's the mismatched wheels on the cab that snaps me

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Hmm, they're not what I would call a shellformer personally - seems like a perfectly involved and fair transformation.

'Shellformer' has more of a 'weak' connotation to it, like where the entire altmode ends up on the back maybe folded in half (I'm thinking most versions of Scourge's 'Space Soap', the original Classics Megatron NERF gun, Siege Starscream, etc).

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Shellformer
    It does seem to fit the shellformer classification, it just manages to hide the shell pieces a lot better than what we are used to by hiding them inside instead of outside. SHould we make up a new term for what is a weak shellformer vs a good shellformer?

Just out of curiosity, what is the classification of a Transformer that doesn't shell form or parts form? How do I classify my Triggerhappy? All his jet parts become part of the robot (aside from the head of course, but for the sake of argument, let's pretend his head stays attached).

Back on topic, I must admit it looks pretty good (aside from the trailer which looks cheap and crappy ). I had no interest in this figure at all and now I....

Wouldn't mind playing with someone else's.

I won't buy it myself....

I'm torn now. The "funsized" shrunken trailer is completely off putting, and the unpainted turret is just poor design or cost cutting. Cheap and nasty, smaller than the original Prime trailer even. I'd gladly pay more for one with paint apps, more still for roller. Grr!

But looking at the comparison photos and action pose photos, it's quite a radical redesign and improvement over Siege prime..... I really want to buy now, and the shield is nice design work. I *really* hope a 3rd party releases an Earthrise trailer, or TakaraTomy would. I miss the days of extra add-ons and fixes of Takara days
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!