View Poll Results: Earthrise Optimus Prime - worth buying?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 56.00%
  • Only of (cheap or something else)

9 36.00%
  • No

1 4.00%
  • Not even interested

1 4.00%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Leader Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Picked up Kingdome Prime today and they seem o be the same toy,
    They are. It's like the difference between G1 and G2 Ironfist. (i.e. exact same toy, different packaging)

I find the trailer to be satisfactory but not outstanding. It's really better suited for a Deluxe figure than it is for a Voyager. A lot of these accessorised Voyagers sold at Leader Class price points aren't great value for money; I think Siege Ultra Magnus is the one exception.

I know that UB Optimus Prime isn't anyone's favourite toy, but you can clearly see that as far as scale is concerned, the trailer is Deluxe sized (not quite; see below), and is woefully undersized for Earthdom Optimus Prime's Voyager sized cab robot.

The greeble thing is to make it connectable with other larger toys to act as a Micromaster play set... poor Micromaster playsets. This has been one ongoing weakness with the WFC line; unlike G1 Micromasters which had larger playsets that were scaled for the Micromasters, the WFC playsets are all too small. And the ramps are too thick to really act as ramps. The playset feature are clearly not the priority for these toys, which is fine... but as Jazz would say, do it with style or don't bother doing it. I really wish that they hadn't bothered.

Example: G1 vs Earthrise Hoist's towing gimmick

G1 Hoist's towing apparatus is perfectly scaled for the Autobot Cars. It holds them well, allowing the towed vehicle's unconnected wheels to roll freely. The apparatus is articulated, allowing Hoist to make turns while towing. The ramp is also thin enough that cars can roll on and off.
    ER Hoist's towing apparatus features none of these traits. Obviously scaled for Micromasters, it cannot hold any of the Deluxe Class Autobot Cars. But even for Micromasters, the ramp is too thick to allow the vehicles to roll on or off. The towed vehicle's wheels do not sit securely and thus the Micromaster is just prone to falling off when attempting to be towed. There is no sideways articulation on the towing apparatus, thus Hoist cannot make turns while towing. So with the priority being placed on making Hoist a Micromaster playset (because, ya know... that's what everyone wanted), they've managed to make ER Hoist's towing gimmick vastly inferior to a toy that was made over three decades before.

Here's Earthrise Optimus Prime's trailer with Legends Class, uh, Legends Bumble.

It just fits a Legends Class car, so yeah, even Deluxe-sized Autobot Cars can't fit in there. The trailer is really meant to house Micromasters, but even then, same problem as Hoist. That ramp is way too thick even for LG Bumble to roll off it, let alone a Micromaster. Having cars smash their ends when attempting to access ramps detracts from the playability of these things. And again, G1 did it better back in the freakin' 80s!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The greeble thing is to make it connectable with other larger toys to act as a Micromaster play set... poor Micromaster playsets.
    I know why those greebles are there, and I think the ramp joining bits are fine. It's the peg that is in the middle of the ramp and the greebles that make the ramp all not-smooth that bother me. And yes, I know the peg is there to make a shield for Optimus, but TBH, they should've just made the ramp so it can be opened without having to crack the trailer open, allowed it to join up with the other bases and not bothered with the shield option as it just looks silly.

Earthrise Primes trailer can fit the slimmer siege/earthrise deluxe cars like bluestreak, prowl and smokescreen. Can also fit in Studio Series 49 & 70 Bumblebee.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    And yes, I know the peg is there to make a shield for Optimus, but TBH, they should've just made the ramp so it can be opened without having to crack the trailer open, allowed it to join up with the other bases and not bothered with the shield option as it just looks silly.
    Strongly agree. These ramps would work a lot better if they were just basic ramps instead of trying to be other things. Should've stuck with the K.I.S.S. principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    Earthrise Primes trailer can fit the slimmer siege/earthrise deluxe cars like bluestreak, prowl and smokescreen. Can also fit in Studio Series 49 & 70 Bumblebee.
    Ah, fair enough. I have yet to try that, but I suspect that Deluxes would also not be able to roll on/off the ramp either (if Micromasters and Legends Class figures can't).

Ah, fair enough. I have yet to try that, but I suspect that Deluxes would also not be able to roll on/off the ramp either (if Micromasters and Legends Class figures can't).
    The trailer definitely doesn't function quite as well considering it doesnt have a proper pull down ramp like MP-10's trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
    The trailer definitely doesn't function quite as well considering it doesnt have a proper pull down ramp like MP-10's trailer.
    It doesn't necessarily need an extendable ramp. G1 ramps are super simple but they work. It's because they're not trying to be anything else other than just ramps, whereas ER Prime's trailer is also a connectable play set and the door is also a shield. It's a Jack of All Master of None, so to speak.

You could say that it does have a trade-off in terms of play value; it's given us play features as a connectable set and shield, but sacrifices the play feature of being a functional ramp. Even as a kid I loved having working ramps. Maybe kids today prefer the other features?

It doesn't necessarily need an extendable ramp. G1 ramps are super simple but they work. It's because they're not trying to be anything else other than just ramps, whereas ER Prime's trailer is also a connectable play set and the door is also a shield. It's a Jack of All Master of None, so to speak.

You could say that it does have a trade-off in terms of play value; it's given us play features as a connectable set and shield, but sacrifices the play feature of being a functional ramp. Even as a kid I loved having working ramps. Maybe kids today prefer the other features?
    I have not even once used the connectable ramp feature, and probably used the "shield" rear section once to test it out on Optimus. It helped that the G1 trailer is taller to make the ramp more useable.