View Poll Results: Earthrise Starscream - worth buying?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 40.00%
  • only if...

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • not interested in it

3 60.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Voyager Starscream

I wonder if removing that grey chest bit of plastic (which blocks a third of the cockpit window in robot mode), would significantly weaken the figure?

Quote Originally Posted by Bemblebuu View Post
    I wonder if removing that grey chest bit of plastic (which blocks a third of the cockpit window in robot mode), would significantly weaken the figure?
    Don’t know but I think it looks a lot better staying there.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Photos added to OP.

Ask and you shall receive

Wouldn't it be better to have MP Starscream standing along side it? At least that way a better comparison can be made when it comes to details.

Thanks Sharky. That really is quite a substantial improvement in terms of size, as well as detail. Especially that Classics Starscream, it's literally head and shoulders over him and this time in a G1 colour scheme (what were they thinking with red wings?). Those detailed rotorfans on the chest, the etching in his first, and big long null rays. Consider me "sold" and my life will not be complete until I acquire him.

The hunt begins!
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to have MP Starscream standing along side it? At least that way a better comparison can be made when it comes to details.
    Not really. Classics Starscream and WFCE Starscream are distinctly related from a design perspective, which was the entire point of the comparison.

Both MP Starscreams are not particularly related to this figure.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Has Earthrise Starscream got a bit of a smirk? It would be appropriate, given the character's personality.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I suspected as much. But having said that - and as someone who prizes technical correctness - Voyager SS Starscream is basically an upsized version of the DOTM Deluxe. Yes, it's a whole new mould, but with so much shared engineering it comes across or feels like an upsize. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - I LOVE Studio Series Starscream. ROTF Voyager Starscream was a more "Voyager-like" design in terms of greater complexity and what not, but it was still clunky and just not as nice a toy as SS Starscream. SS Starscream brought elegance in its simplicity (which was by no means condescending). In fact, I initially passed up SS Starscream thinking not much of it until I played with someone else's... then I went straight to TRU and bought an SS Starscream for myself!
    This is far less of an 'upscale' than SS Starscream...it is fair to say that it's inspired by the old Deluxe but there is a hell of a lot that is achieved in a different way - I was really surprised. The 'hand/forearm' transformation is pretty unique and not one I've seen on anything else before. And the legs, feet and tailfins work completely differently too. Even the central nose/chest transformation is familiar, but different -the head on this one is separate, which needed a re-design to achieve. Even the chest/back separation is done slightly differently.

Saw this in person and I can’t believe I’m saying this about an official Transformer, but the head sculpt feels off to me. For a G1 take of the character I much prefer the head sculpt on Siege Starscream even with that extra Armada vibe thrown in. This head just feels subpar compared to the rest of the Earthrise line.

I now have Starscream in hand, and have truly madly deeply fallen in love with the toy. The larger size of the Voyager mold means the plane 'fits' in my hand like G1 Starscream did as a kid. It feels huge compared to Universe/Classics seekers, and is just about as close to perfection as I could imagine. The one thing offputting is in robot mode, the lack of sticker decals but I'm sure that reprolabels are on it already.

Given the size/complexity of the mold (yes it shares design reuse, but the tooling cost is the biggest factor), they are going to need to milk it for the rest of the seeker brigade, so I'd expect easy recolours in future waves. I just hope they do a retool for characters like Thrust, Dirge.

I would like to see a smirking head though on a future release, and I can just do a head swap.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Love this figure! Can?t wait for the skywarp/thundercracker reprints (pls don?t be exclusives).

My only gripe is that it looks like he has no landing gear...there?s plastic below the cockpit that looks like it could be the landing gear but it?s just the hinge that splits the plane head to hide his robot head.