View Poll Results: Earthrise Starscream - worth buying?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

2 40.00%
  • only if...

0 0%
  • no

0 0%
  • not interested in it

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Voyager Starscream

Default Toy Review - Earthrise Voyager Starscream

Earthrise Starscream
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Earthrise
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - New, though shares transformation design with Classics 2006 Starscream.
    Wave - 1
    Released here - FEB 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - AU $50
    Approximate Size - Who owns rulers anymore?
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - F-15 Eagle sort of?
    Main Features/Gimmicks - It transforms.
    Main Colours - Grey, red, blue
    Main Accessories - 2x Null Ray Cannons

Is this just an upscaled 2006 Classics Starscream?
    No. This is the same situation as with Studio Series Screamer v DOTM Deluxe Screamer. They clearly share the same transformation design, but its an all new figure.

How is it different?
    Glad you asked. Size aside, this has better articulation (ball joint heat, bicep swivels, thigh swivels, ankle tilts). It also has less gaps in the robot mode because the arms transform in a more involved way than just tucking into the side like the 06 figure.

What's the jet mode like then?
    About par? The whole of the chest sans the cockpit does just chill out under the fuselage as a chunk. I'm disappointed we've not come further than that in the last 14 years. It holds together solid and looks nice from a high angle.

Transformation?
    Yes, it does that.

I mean, what is the transformation like?
    The legs lower legs are now on Combiner Wars style flip out hinges. The arms curl up and go in the empty space in the robot mode torso while in jet mode. Aside from that it is just the 2006 Classics Seeker transformation.

You doing anything later? Fancy going for a drink
    Honestly, not really mate. I'm not doing anything in particular, it's just that I don't like you like that.

Is this much cop in robot mode?
    Everything clips together solidly and there are no issues with impeded articulation like on the 2006 Classics mold - there's a waist skirt to flip up, and the wings have a joint specifically to hinge back without moving downward to give the arms room to maneuver. The proportions are pretty good. Not as amazing as the WFCS Starscream, but that figure can barely be called a Transformer so gets no bonus points for having a good looking robot mode. If I curl up and hide under a cardboard box, that doesn't mean I've transformed into a cardboard box. That's essentially how I'd describe WFCS Starscream's effort at being a Transformer.

Is there anything worrying you?
    Well this corona virus situation isn't looking great is it? Also I have several bills due tomorrow but have just spent quite a lot on getting the whole POTP Abominus set.

... I meant to do with this figure
    Oh. Not really. The plastic feels nice, the joints are good tight. The wings don't clip into anything in robot mode and just held up by friction. The joint is tight now, but I can't vouch for how much of a lifespan it will have.

Should I get this?
    Any Starscream that boths to actually use the jet mode cockpit for the chest is worth buying. This is a fun, solid figure without major flaw. I wish that the design had been pushed further since 2006, but it's a good reuse of those design ideas.

EDIT: Some photos with his other Voyager Starscream cousins

Last edited by SharkyMcShark; 29th February 2020 at 03:50 PM.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Is this just an upscaled 2006 Classics Starscream?
    No. This is the same situation as with Studio Series Screamer v DOTM Deluxe Screamer. They clearly share the same transformation design, but its an all new figure.
    I suspected as much. But having said that - and as someone who prizes technical correctness - Voyager SS Starscream is basically an upsized version of the DOTM Deluxe. Yes, it's a whole new mould, but with so much shared engineering it comes across or feels like an upsize. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - I LOVE Studio Series Starscream. ROTF Voyager Starscream was a more "Voyager-like" design in terms of greater complexity and what not, but it was still clunky and just not as nice a toy as SS Starscream. SS Starscream brought elegance in its simplicity (which was by no means condescending). In fact, I initially passed up SS Starscream thinking not much of it until I played with someone else's... then I went straight to TRU and bought an SS Starscream for myself!

So yeah, it sounds like they've repeated the success of the SS Starscream formula with Earthrise Starscream here, and why not?

Don't know if this toy is really my thing, but it does sound and look like a fun toy. Glad you're enjoying it.

You doing anything later? Fancy going for a drink
    Honestly, not really mate. I'm not doing anything in particular, it's just that I don't like you like that.
    "You make me sad."
    - King Arthur (Monty Python and the Holy Grail)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I suspected as much. But having said that - and as someone who prizes technical correctness - Voyager SS Starscream is basically an upsized version of the DOTM Deluxe.
    Basically, but not literally.

I've shied away from the "upscale" description because we've had things in official lines that are literally upscales (the Beast Hunters figures), and this is beyond that.

I'd be curious if anyone has the toy in hand to see a size comparison with any of the old Universe deluxe. I know 'voyager' sizes have varied over the years, and since I've yet to track me down any Earthrise, I'll have to live vicariously through others ;P
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Photos added to OP.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I'd be curious if anyone has the toy in hand to see a size comparison with any of the old Universe deluxe. I know 'voyager' sizes have varied over the years, and since I've yet to track me down any Earthrise, I'll have to live vicariously through others ;P
    Ask and you shall receive

He looks surprisingly good, I might grab the inevitable Thundercracker and Skywarp repaints of this guy.

He's beautiful

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Is the belt buckle easily scraped?

Photos added to OP.

Ask and you shall receive

They are both voyagers?!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Is the belt buckle easily scraped?
    Yeah, I was wondering that too, there's some red paint missing from his groin, as well as a silver blotch on his noggin'. They still don't have battle damage do they???
    Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    They are both voyagers?!
    The one on the right is deluxe