2 15.38%
  • Only if something else

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy review - Earthrise Deluxe Hoist

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Didn't Hound have similar angled down forearms? I seem to recall it showing up elsewhere in Siege.

Finally caved and grabbed this toy. Overall a very good CHUG Hoist that is a vast improvement over Generations Hoist (who I actually do quite like). It's well proportioned in both robot and vehicle modes with impressive articulation. At about 15cm in height, this is also a fairly well sized Deluxe. I do like how the top rack thing is self-contained and able to be concealed in vehicle mode, and I also like how the gun conceals the hand, giving the appearance of being a gun-arm (but also giving you the option of giving Hoist both fists if you want to). I would've preferred to have the gun store beneath the bonnet. The black head and gunmetal grey faceplate look good, and offset the green body quite well (even if my G1 bias heavily prefers a green head, objectively speaking the black head looks better). I would've still preferred yellow eyes over a blue visor. I like how the toy even sees the return of Hoist's towing wheel cradle, and I do like how it can clip firmly into place when not deployed. The downside is that the cradle doesn't really work; it's only really wide enough to hold a Micromaster, but it doesn't really hitch onto the wheels and the Micromaster will be prone to just sliding off the cradle. :/ The cradle arm also has no articulation, unlike G1 Hoist.

The weathering marks on the chest/bonnet is a visual nuisance, but it doesn't look as bad when you're not looking at the chest square-on. Unfortunately the chest is painted, so I can't just scrub it off. I intend to try to get matching green paint and just paint over the marks. Or maybe ToyHax will make a sticker that can cover it. I'm not a huge fan of the whites. I know that it's for cartoon likeness, but I don't really care about that. I would've preferred silver. Same with the gun -- the orange doesn't look great. The undercarriage bulk doesn't bother me so much. Yeah, it's noticeable, but the vehicle does sit on all four wheels and it rolls, so that's fine. Not fantastic, but it's fine.

Overall, and especially when I compare it with Generations Hoist, I think that ER Hoist has way more pros than cons and is well worth the Deluxe price point (especially if you can get it for $29; don't forget that most stores do price match!). Now I'm tempted to get Trailbreaker! The one thing that bugged me the most about Generations Trailcutter and Hoist is how they have no Autobot logos visible in robot mode -- not a problem with Earthrise.

PICS

Vehicle mode

Comparing towing gimmick between G1 and ER Hoist

G1 Hoist can tow any of the Diaclone Autobot Cars, and his towing cradle can turn. ER Hoist's cradle is only wide enough to accommodate a Micromaster, but it doesn't actually cradle the wheels so the vehicle is prone to sliding off. Basically G1 Hoist actually works as a tow truck whereas ER Hoist does not.

Comparing vehicle mode with G1

Comparing vehicle mode with G1 and Generations

Robot mode

Comparison with G1 and Generations

"Something something something, architecture..."

I went and painted the rack thing and weapon silver.

I also scrubbed off the battle damage from the forearms

ER Hoist doesn't work as a tow truck but he does work as a Micromaster base??? Yeah, I would've preferred it to be a working tow truck.

Stuck on you.

G1 was awesome and this guy just continues the joy.
    Working towing mechanism does it for me.

But that's just the thing. It doesn't work. The towing apparatus can fold in and out but the wheel cradle itself literally fails to cradle the wheel, thus making it impossible to even tow a Micromaster (the only TF that can fit it too). ER Hoist's towing apparatus is really just a ramp for Micromasters rather than a working towing gimmick as with G1 Hoist.

G1 Hoist's wheel cradle can actually hook/latch onto the wheels of any Diaclone Autobot Car and tow it around. It can even go around corners as the apparatus is articulated. ER Hoist's wheel cradle fails to latch and any Micromaster vehicle that you place onto it will just slide right off when Hoist is moved. A lack of articulation on the apparatus makes it incapable of turning corners, but it's a rather moot point given that it can't even tow a toy in the first place. ER Hoist is able to hold a Micromaster car onto his cradle in a static pose or shot, but it can't hold the car when Hoist is in motion, making it practically useless as a play feature. Having said that, this is still a big improvement over Generations Hoist whose hook is so weak that it couldn't possibly hold anything.