Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212636 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 updates comments and concerns

Up until last week we could go into any store that was open but we were only supposed to be allowed to buy essential items... however it wasn't enforced. The emphasis was on deliveries and pick-up though. It took some time but number limits now apply to most stores, stopping people from entering a store until someone leaves.

Unfortunately in america, a security guard at a store trying to enforce restrictions - not letting someone in without a mask, was shot by that person and died.... thanks to the attitude of some people over there believing that their personal freedom is more important than their health.

This is really sad. I imagine the pressures from their debts, health and economic systems compounded by their government priorities are driving people to crazy. I really hope they find a way to turn things around or at least get their priorities straight.

By comparison, Australia has an incredible edge in many respects. I hope that we don't get complacent when the lockout rules are relaxed.
    "I was expecting a giant car."

[COLOR="STUFF FOR SALE [/B][/COLOR]

Non-TF SALE

TRANSFORMERS SALE!

Couple of employees of maccas over in the US were shot because they refused someone wanting to dine in. It's insane how people act.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Couple of employees of maccas over in the US were shot because they refused someone wanting to dine in. It's insane how people act.
    Why does peace appear like a zero-sum game for some?
    Last edited by kristofferrer; 8th May 2020 at 11:13 PM.

Non-TF SALE

TRANSFORMERS SALE!

Quote Originally Posted by kristofferrer View Post
    This is really sad. I imagine the pressures from their debts, health and economic systems compounded by their government priorities are driving people to crazy. I really hope they find a way to turn things around or at least get their priorities straight.
    From Wednesday's episode of Planet America, they detailed how difficult many of the states over there make it for people to collect unemployment payments... a lot worse than it is here. Some states have so many requirements to meet, that as little as only 5% of those people applying for unemployment payments, actually get any money. And the ones who are successful, the payments are capped at a couple of months.
    And after 40 years of stagnant wage growth over there due to a failed "trickle down" economic policy, a large number of people are stuck on a minimum wage that doesn't help get anyone out of poverty, or save for a rainy day like this year.
    This is why so many people over there are so desperate to get back to work, and are protesting against forced closures of businesses, because even with all of the stimulus money being thrown around, very little of it is getting to the lowest paid people. Meanwhile, the richest people in America (the top 0.1%) are too busy trying to protect their billions and the share market they are invested in, that the people who need the financial help, and the medical help, are being used and ignored.

I fear that with most of the American states winding back their restrictions to allow people to earn money again (who aren't able to get any money from the government), their economy will suffer more over the long term, compared to a short-term hit to the economy that countries like ours sustained by doing a more significant lockdown to almost eradicate the virus.

And from tonight's episode of Planet America, the results of New York's virus anti-body testing from the last week has shown that the virus is proving to be fatal to 1.2% of people who catch it, compared to the worst flu viruses that are fatal to just 0.04% of people who catch it. As I had noted a few days ago about how saving lives can be saving money, not just costing money (to the economy), if a country does nothing so that it puts it's economy first, they could expect 1.2% of their population dying from this virus, probably in less than six months if it is allowed to spread freely. For Australia, that would be 300,000 deaths, and millions more being treated medically, which costs a lot of money.
    The fact that we have yet to reach 100 deaths in Australia, means our government needs to be commended for saving 299,900 lives (so far), by putting lives before the national economy. (they may not be perfect, but credit where credit is due)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    From Wednesday's episode of Planet America, they detailed how difficult many of the states over there make it for people to collect unemployment payments... a lot worse than it is here. Some states have so many requirements to meet, that as little as only 5% of those people applying for unemployment payments, actually get any money. And the ones who are successful, the payments are capped at a couple of months.
    And after 40 years of stagnant wage growth over there due to a failed "trickle down" economic policy, a large number of people are stuck on a minimum wage that doesn't help get anyone out of poverty, or save for a rainy day like this year.
    This is why so many people over there are so desperate to get back to work, and are protesting against forced closures of businesses, because even with all of the stimulus money being thrown around, very little of it is getting to the lowest paid people. Meanwhile, the richest people in America (the top 0.1%) are too busy trying to protect their billions and the share market they are invested in, that the people who need the financial help, and the medical help, are being used and ignored.

I fear that with most of the American states winding back their restrictions to allow people to earn money again (who aren't able to get any money from the government), their economy will suffer more over the long term, compared to a short-term hit to the economy that countries like ours sustained by doing a more significant lockdown to almost eradicate the virus.

And from tonight's episode of Planet America, the results of New York's virus anti-body testing from the last week has shown that the virus is proving to be fatal to 1.2% of people who catch it, compared to the worst flu viruses that are fatal to just 0.04% of people who catch it. As I had noted a few days ago about how saving lives can be saving money, not just costing money (to the economy), if a country does nothing so that it puts it's economy first, they could expect 1.2% of their population dying from this virus, probably in less than six months if it is allowed to spread freely. For Australia, that would be 300,000 deaths, and millions more being treated medically, which costs a lot of money.
    The fact that we have yet to reach 100 deaths in Australia, means our government needs to be commended for saving 299,900 lives (so far), by putting lives before the national economy. (they may not be perfect, but credit where credit is due)
    This is so grim. At a time like this, wealthy people (who have more than enough) still need more than those who have so little. I've seen some videos of a new yorker pleading the government just to extend the end date of their debts so that they get through the coming months. I was in NY last year and could already tell that if you're not above the poverty line, the city will just eat you alive - and nobody would know or hear about it.

Our government is doing a great job balancing health and economy (and prioritising health over the economy) and It's good to see all supporting our government's efforts. The early lifting of the lockout laws is a little concerning though.

Non-TF SALE

TRANSFORMERS SALE!

Quote Originally Posted by kristofferrer View Post
    Why does peace appear like a zero-sum game for some?
    Too many have been indoctrinated into their rights are more important than ensuring the safety of everyone.

As for our country dealing with it, sure has been one of the better ones for the virus spread, just not helping the most vulnerable financially.

With all of the weird youtube and app videos people have been posting up after weeks of cabin-fever isolation, this guy looks to have mastered that lockdown insanity two years ago, ready for times like this.
    Looking at some of his other videos, they are very well done, and wouldn't have been easy to do.
    (and naturally, the example I have included here was Transformers related )

Children without pre-existing conditions are still proving to be unaffected by Covid-19, but in places that have had high concentrations of the virus, like the UK and New York, a new type of sickness is occurring, and only to children.
    It is a type of body-wide inflammation, and seems to only be affecting children after they have had the virus (they are being tested, and found to have the anti-bodies that people get after they have had the virus, and as such they are showing up as negative for the active virus).

It is still only new, and there are still a lot of questions as to what it is and why it is happening after they no longer have the virus in their system, but it looks like it could be similar to an allergic reaction people develop to things like insect bites or foods, in their childhood... often after they have been exposed to it once without a reaction, but their body mistakenly creates anti-bodies to it, and then they have to avoid contact with it for the rest of their lives.
    These kids are in areas that are heavily infected, so keep coming into contact with the virus, but now that they have an immunity to it, their bodies might be over-reacting with the new anti-bodies, overwhelming their weaker bodies.

At least here in Australia (so far), we don't have huge clusters of highly concentrated infections, so for those with young kids we shouldn't see this happening here, but for as long as the virus exists in Australia, there is still a very remote chance a child who has had the virus (without any symptoms), comes into contact with someone else later who is infected, and could set off their immune system... so be mindful of the symptoms - a fever, rash, upset stomach, swollen lymph nodes.
    (it is being compared to Kawasaki Disease, which is said to be caused by the auto-immune system attacking the blood vessels in the body, and the heart)

Finally got my flu shot yesterday. I hope it's an effective vaccine this year cause I don't want to spend 2 weeks in quarantine.