Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21217181920212223242526273242 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 updates comments and concerns

Comment deleted -- not appropriate -- dirge.
    Last edited by dirge; 18th June 2020 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippo View Post
    And we are back.. I really hope heads roll for the complete sh**-show that this example has uncovered. All the things we were told were being done to keep New Zealand free of the virus and .. nothing was actually being followed.
    ???

Convoid is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    ???
    New Zealand was virus free then they let 2 international visitors leave quarantine early to visit a dying relative. The 2 visitors ended to testing positive for the virus and there are now fears they may have infected others.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...bf24df1fba6e2f

Quote Originally Posted by Unicran View Post
    --original comment deleted--
    Highly unnecessary comment
    Last edited by dirge; 18th June 2020 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Highly unnecessary comment
    Deleted.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Welp, it's back in Beijing now too.

Plus our guvvo is looking at keeping the overseas travel ban until 2021 at least, which on the one hand is probably not a bad idea, though I do think it'd be nice if we could figure out some sort of way we can get some international students coming back in, the uni sector is really struggling without their main source of funding and I don't see the government/s offering to step up and undo all those public funding cuts the uni sector has had over the years. On the selfish downside, I just finished upskilling as an overseas English teacher last year, so it's a bit of a kick in the 'nads for me work/career-wise. The same thing happened with the GFC after I finished my first set of major TESOL qualifications too.

Maybe I should just never study or try to work in my field ever again, every time I do some kind of worldwide disaster hits and if/when I do get accepted for a position somewhere that country seems to get some massive disaster as well.

Not that lots of other people don't have things worse right now of course, and not to ignore that a whole lot more people are going to be in even more trouble if/when September comes around, those mortgage freezes/rental eviction bans end, Jobkeeper (possibly/probably) ends, and the dole goes back to it's former <2/3 of the poverty line. That's not going to be pretty.

Aaand Melbourne ain?t looking too crash hot right now.

^ I guess it's a good thing for me then that the Queensland border is still closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    Aaand Melbourne ain?t looking too crash hot right now.
    Some restrictions back in place due to consistently high new cases these last 4 days. Was gonna offload on the matter but will only be deleted.

The surge in cases in Victoria is going to push back re-opening states and their borders. And with NSW not wanting to close their border to Victoria, QLD won't risk opening up their border to NSW, as the virus could spread into there from Victoria.
    And if NSW records some community cases in the next couple of weeks, we could see a stalling of their re-opening... which could prevent the proposed toy reveal at Hasbro's Sydney office at the end of July (it is yet to be locked in, but might be conditional of the virus status in NSW, and how many people can be in the one room in July).

According to one of the news programs yesterday, the reason why Victoria has had this new spread of the virus that other states aren't seeing, is (according to them) that the Victorian quarantine hotels (for the people returning from overseas) were being guarded by private security, who were not as vigilant at keeping the integrity of the quarantine (cleaning and isolation regimes), so they were getting infected and spread it to their family and friends when they went home.
    Other states with returning people were apparently using defence force (army) personnel who are trained to be strict and self-protected.... because other states (NSW, QLD, WA) have also been having thousands of returning citizens being quarantined, without the same outbreaks in the community that Melbourne has seen.

In contrast, the other day saw just 2 or 3 active cases left in WA and QLD, who are all in quarantine hotels. I think NSW is close to being the same, but they are still getting returning citizens, which is making their daily case numbers look bad, but most of the new daily numbers have been put into quarantine hotels.
    How much longer are we going to be having returning citizens, so that we can stop having people bringing the virus into the country... and we can re-open faster when the remaining active cases are resolved. People have now had 3 months to return after our borders were officially closed and international travel was banned, and even though it was difficult to get flights back from some countries at first, how much longer does it take people to find their way back. If this is going to be an ongoing trickle of returning citizens for many months, maybe have them arrive at an off-shore location like Christmas Island for their 2 weeks of quarantine, and only allowed back into Australia when they have tested clear over several days (because none of the covid tests are 100% reliable and often giving false positives and false negatives). If we had been doing that from the start, we wouldn't have had this Melbourne outbreak, because we wouldn't have had infected people landing on the mainland until after they had recovered.

I wonder why we don't have the states & territories that have been cleared (or all remaining cases are in quarantine) open up their borders with each other, so that it helps tourism and the national economy (jobs) more to offset the slower opening rate of Victoria.