Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253040 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 updates comments and concerns

What's a mere 60 billion dollars over estimation Covid-19 stimulus package.

With international travel unlikely to return to pre-virus levels for at least 2-4 years AFTER a vaccine is distributed across the globe (which itself would take a couple of years to produce and administer), a number of international airlines who had those giant double-decker A-380 planes, are retiring them, after little more than a decade of operation.
    QANTAS got their first one in September 2008, and I believe they were one of the first airlines to get them, and not many airlines ended up buying them due to the GFC that hit at that time, so I imagine a lot of the US and European airlines had to cancel their orders at the time, which is why we didn't see as many of them as was expected, as they were said to be the replacement for the 747. I remember many airports having to upgrade to cater to the larger A380, as their runways or gates/skybridges weren't able to accommodate them.

With the virus preventing almost all international travel, and with smaller fuel-efficient aircraft now available from Boeing and Airbus, I would imagine that the A380 is unlikely to be seen in the skies again, because by the time there are passenger numbers to fill them, airlines would have replaced their older planes with the more economical planes that can fly further.

I don't think I would have ever been able to afford (or want to) pay for a first class flight across to the other side of the world, but I'd always dreamed about one day being able to fly in the top level of an A380 or 747.
    As someone who has done a fair bit of international travel thanks to botcon, I'm a bit nostalgic about the big iconic aircraft that I've been on over the last few years... but I guess they'll just be something that lives in our memories and images, like the concord. I doubt there would be too many aircraft museums around the world wanting to waste a lot of space for one of these, just for a few people a year to look at in person.

That was the one Demonac and I took from Melbourne to LA in 2009, for BotCon. I was just so amazed at how massive it was, and it's engines, from being up so close to it. You're sitting in it as it runs down the runway, wondering how is this massive beast able to get off the ground... and yet it does.

The A380 was already on the decline before Covid-19, no doubt this is the final nail in the coffin. As you?ve stated, Airbus underestimated the impact of more fuel efficient planes like the Dreamliner.

I?ve flown in the A380 a few times, in economy. I will miss the mini bar in the middle where you could help yourself to a drink/snacks. As an aside, I?ve flown in the top section of the 747 on one occasion in business class. You gotta try business at least once

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That was the one Demonac and I took from Melbourne to LA in 2009, for BotCon. I was just so amazed at how massive it was, and it's engines, from being up so close to it. You're sitting in it as it runs down the runway, wondering how is this massive beast able to get off the ground... and yet it does.
    The aircraft in the photo looks like VH-OQA ('Nancy-Bird Walton'). The aircraft is notable as a result of an uncontained engine failure over Indonesia in November 2010 during a London to Sydney flight ('QF-32').

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    The aircraft in the photo looks like VH-OQA ('Nancy-Bird Walton'). The aircraft is notable as a result of an uncontained engine failure over Indonesia in November 2010 during a London to Sydney flight ('QF-32').
    Wow... I did not know that.
    Fortunately we were on it 18 months earlier, so it was flying around a lot after we were on it... but it makes you think, what if.

Looking up this article online, that particular A380 was the first one QANTAS received from Airbus, which made it the symbolic flagship of their fleet.

SEPT 2008 - first A380 plane arrives in Australia (which is this one).
    May 25th 2009 - we are on the plane to America.
    NOV 4th 2010 - engine explodes from Singapore to Sydney.
    APR 24th 2012 - plane finally arrives in Sydney after repairs in Singapore.

Looks like QANTAS only ended up with 12 A380s, which makes sense, as it was only being used for their flights to New York and London, which would mean 3 or 4 flying each way at any one time.

Interesting article, Griffin. The ATSB investigation concluded that an improperly manufactured stub pipe (which had developed 'fatigue cracking') within the engine caused the failure. This means it could have happened at any time.

Yeah, Qantas used Rolls Royce engines in its A380s. The stub pipe was poorly designed by Rolls because of how incredibly thin the pipe walls were. Could have happened on any A380 at any time using Rolls Royce engines.

That's why I was so amazed when I found out, that it was a ticking timebomb, and really could have happened at any time. It was just so lucky that the incident occurred so close to Singapore... if it had happened over the pacific ocean on the way to America, the outcome would have been a lot different.

Speaking of America... since I have a vested interest in their response to the virus as I want to return there at some point soon if they start up conventions again next year... the country will officially pass 100,000 deaths in the next few days, and the rate isn't really slowing down. With most states now a week or two being re-opened, several of them have seen an increase in cases in the last few days.
    The problem is that a lot of people are back out in public, in crowds, and refusing to wear a mask, which is proven to be the best preventative measure (I don't know why we didn't have it introduced here as a compulsory measure).

How do you expect the general population to adhere to safety measures if their head of state doesn't set a good example for them to follow... refusing to wear a mask in public, shaking hands with others, claiming that the virus is a hoax or overblown, being in close proximity to others without a mask, relying on a drug that isn't proven to prevent catching the virus, and out playing golf this weekend while thousands of doctors and nurses are getting sick and dying while trying to save lives that didn't need to be at risk in the first place.

Even though I've stopped pointing out all of the bad things their president does, due to people reminding me that this site should be avoiding political discussion... it is just impossible to not comment on the ongoing train-wreck that is the USA at the moment, and seeing how different it would have been if someone else was in charge that cared more about their citizens than their fortune. These are people, human beings that are dying, or knows someone who has died, and politicians on both sides are too busy fighting among themselves... or golfing. (just like our prime minister choosing to stay in hawaii during the bush fires)

America has the world's largest economy and the largest military (spending), so they had the resources to contain this virus to levels better than us here in Australia... they just didn't have a united, bi-partisan leadership to develop a strategy and support each other to stick to it. So not only did they re-open before most of their states were seeing a drop in cases, but the message from the president is that if case numbers do go back up, there will be no second lockdown. I think they are "all in" on the belief that there will be a vaccine before the end of the year.... and if that doesn't happen in the next 4-6 months, the only future the USA has with this virus, is to create a herd immunity (like Sweden), and expect a lot more people to die (mostly the elderly, the poor and the non-white).

A vaccine is pretty much the only way any of us will get to attend a future BotCon or convention in general in America.

From Sydney Morning Herald. I would have linked an article but it's part of a longer news thread on there.

Human trials have begun for a COVID-19 vaccine at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, it has been announced this morning.

The trials, the first in the southern hemisphere, will test a vaccine developed by US biotech company Novovax.

“Administering our vaccine in the first participants of this clinical trial is a significant achievement, bringing us one step closer toward addressing the fundamental need for a vaccine in the fight against the global Covid?19 pandemic,” Stanley C. Erck, Novovax CEO and president said in a statement to Forbes.

Roughly 131 people aged 18 to 59 will take part in the trial.

Results are expected in July 2020.

The vaccine is one of over 100 vaccines currently being developed across the world.
    I'm surprised we can get results as soon as July, although not really sure what that means exactly.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Japan ended it's "Lockdown" yesterday/today. As much as it was. I think it did have an effect, at the very least scaring people into being more careful. However I am very concerned that now it's off, people will resume as if nothing happened.
    reading around a few news sites, there seems to be lots of comments from people interviewed (on the street) that they are glad the emergency declaration is over as they want their kids back at school/ eat some food they couldn't get during the lockdown etc. These could well be selectively chosen comments, but it feels like people didn't understand the emergency. Interestingly it seems that many Japanese families are held together by not being together.

The fact that Japan has weathered it with rather low numbers (it has been extremely hard to get tested here though) but even low death rates , is a matter of luck over planning.

During the lockdown, I was allowed to work from home, and as one of the youngest/most computer savvy in the place, was actually able to work from home. I suspect that most others weren't and just had days ff (lucky them). However now it's over the boss has said no more teleworking. Now considering that my boss is actually a smart, strategic dude with a wealth of experience in Japan and overseas, and he has cancelled all work from home options, It makes me think less progressive companies will just go back as per normal.

i wonder if Japan's "Second wave" will be much larger than the first.