Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 515202122232425

Thread: COVID-19 updates comments and concerns

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    I have a cruise booked for November to NZ. Will be interesting to see if not only the borders open up to do so, but if P&O will go ahead with it.
    You couldn't pay me to get on a cruise ship given all that has happened. Assume you can't get your money back?

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    You couldn't pay me to get on a cruise ship given all that has happened. Assume you can't get your money back?
    Could, but they'll take a cut, and take ages afaik. I could take credit with a bonus, to use at a later date. Will be playing it by ear as it draws closer.

134 new cases from yesterday for Victoria... down a fair bit from yesterday, but this is just a one-off number that may not yet be a trend back down. They may have just been focussing most of their testing on known cluster areas that were already targeted in the last few days, which had already captured most of the new cases there... and it can take a week for new clusters or outbreaks in new areas to start showing up and then be targeted with testing.

Melbourne is now back into the type of lockdown they had in April when the virus first hit... which for some it never ended, so this is like the fourth month of disruptions or isolation.

Edit - it seems that jetstar had a flight from Melbourne to Sydney last night, that allowed its passengers to leave the plane and airport without any testing or quarantining of anyone positive (or having them self-isolate as a precaution).
    The news report says there were about 50 people on the plane, and it was still a few hours before the NSW-VIC border closed... but considering how much is at stake at the moment, and the impending closure of the borders, it's like the Ruby Princess cruise-ship all over again, with NSW Health not screening a vessel from a known hotspot.

From yesterday's cases announced today - another 2 infected people inside NSW that aren't returned travellers (one was from Melbourne), and 3 in the ACT (traced back to one person from Melbourne)... maybe the containment lines were just a little too late to prevent infected people travelling interstate.

And now the NSW premier is telling her residents not to travel to any border towns. A scrambling effort that is now probably too late, when she could have had the borders limiting and screening travel between the two states for the last few months like other states... back when she kept saying that border closures are wrong and stupid.

(on a side note, it was disappointing but not surprising, that the prime minister followed the example of trump and used the virus update press conference today to talk up a couple of coalition policies before taking questions... so TV channels had to stay on him so that they didn't miss the Q&A on the virus)
    Last edited by griffin; 8th July 2020 at 03:09 PM.

165 new cases in VIC from yesterday.

The constantly changing status of the borders is really difficult to keep up with, particularly if you are planning ahead to travel interstate, or need to.

Tomorrow, QLD is supposed to be opening its border up to every state except Victoria.

Tasmania and South Australia are also closing off access to Victoria for the foreseeable future. I think NT and WA are also open to everyone except Victoria now, but I'm not sure without spending some time looking into it.

This site has links to each state's covid-19 info page, so if you needing to find out and aren't sure, start there.