Series - Generations
Sub-line - Studio Series
Size/class - Deluxe
New/remould/redeco - New
Wave - Eight
Released here - March 2020
Approximate Retail Price - $34.99 (Myer)
Approximate Size - 12cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG coupe
Main Features/Gimmicks - Screen accuracy, licensed vehicle mode
Main Colours - Silver, grey
Main Accessories - Laserbeak

Vehicle mode

A silver Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG coupe. Like Jazz, Sideswipe, and Cogman, Soundwave sports a nice silver paintjob on the car. The headlights and taillights are painted.

With some other Studio Series cars.

With Dark of the Moon Megatron.

Laserbeak

With a wingspan just over 7cm, Laserbeak is small, but nonetheless has a lot of detail in the mould. He is unpainted save for two small dots of paint over his eyes.

Transformation

Not particularly difficult, although the front corners of the car can potentially pop off their ball joints when rotating them around for robot mode.

Something to note when going into car mode: tilt the head as far back on its ball joint as possible before rotating the neck and collar panel backwards - this will help give clearance for the head.

Robot mode

Soundwave stands a little over 12cm at the top of his antennae. There is a lot less visible silver paint in this mode, with two types of grey plastic and some dark metallic grey paint. The colour scheme is monochrome, but it is screen-accurate.

Being based on the final CGI model, Soundwave is far better proportioned than his prior two toy incarnations - the original deluxe had arms that were too slim and a chest that was too small, while the Human Alliance version had spindly legs as a result of needing to have a functional cabin and working gullwing doors. This version has the appropriate large, bulky limbs, although personally I think the arms should be a bit bigger.

Articulation is ok. The head is mounted on a ball joint, but side to side rotation is limited because of the shape of the collar. The shoulders have the usual two axes of movement, there is an upper arm rotator, and the elbow hinges. The hips are mounted on ball joints, the knees are hinged, and although you're not meant to do this, you can unlock the toes to give some upward movement. The feet are solid, but large enough to support Soundwave even in deep, dynamic poses.

Sadly, Soundwave comes with no weapons, and his hands - at least on mine - are too loose to grip several 5mm weapons that I tried.

Laserbeak can attach to Soundwave in both modes.

With Studio Series Megatron and Shockwave.

With Studio Series Lockdown, Sideswipe, and Stinger.

The included backdrop is of the Serengeti hideout Megatron is seen to use early in the movie.

Verdict

A nice little figure, although his value as a plaything is hindered somewhat by his lack of a weapon and a seeming inability to hold one - then again, figures like the Constructicons have a similar problem. Laserbeak looks good, although I wish he had some dark paint or was moulded from darker plastic.