Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JP GEN Selects Super Megatron

Default JP GEN Selects Super Megatron

Last edited by griffin; 2nd April 2020 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added link to other news topic for future reference

People seem to be hating on it, but i reckon it actually looks super cool?!

Looks cool, but I don't know much about him.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Looks cool, but I don't know much about him.
    It's a very obscure character for us westerners, and I think even to Japanese fans (like Euro Gen1 was to us), as it only showed up in couple of short chapters in 1991 in the TV Magazine manga/comic that Viz Media are currently reprinting in English this year (which is perfect timing for this toy and that reprint to come out at the same time).
    Super Megatron was the rival of Star Convoy - Takara gave us a Star Convoy toy (as part of their Return Of Convoy line of Micromasters), but not a Super Megatron toy, even though the character designs suggested that it might have been designed with the possibility of being made into a toy.

This Generations Selects toy of Super Megatron does a pretty good "squint and it looks good" homage to a character that never had a toy before in any form (not even a figurine I think)... and TakaraTomy have certainly done a lot of original work to create this toy (like the Seacons) by only recycling a small part of an existing toy (parts of the legs of TM Galvatron). As such, being a one-off toy that has a majority of new parts, it is very expensive, at 6,600yen, which is almost double the price of a regular Voyager (depending on the wildly fluctuating exchange rate, it will end up being AU$90-100).... in September.
    It is a TakaraTomyMall exclusive like the Generations Selects Star Convoy toy last year, which will mean it will be available through non-Japanese Asian sources, Hasbro Pulse (for those in America), and possibly here at EB Games (if they are still in business over the next few months).

The character design image on the Siebertron website (this one) shows Super Megatron on the left in both modes (which is what this toy is based on), and Ultra Megatron on the right in both modes... which I guess leaves the door open to another remould in the future to create Ultra Megatron from this new Super Megatron toy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    The comic has Super Megatron with another mode tanks modes using the 4 barrels, so wouldn't surprise me if the toy can transform between super/mega modes.
    That's Ultra Megatron, the next upgrade after Super Megatron.

This was a time when Takara had all but stopped producing Decepticon toys* (as they felt that "heroic" characters would sell better), so they were just making random crap up for the Decepticons. They were recycled characters that were designed to look not too fantastic because they didn't want to take the limelight away from the Autobots, who were the products that were being marketed. This is why in the Transformers Zone OVA the Decepticons (Devastator, Menasor, Predaking, Abominus etc.) were all obscured with those ridiculous costumes. They didn't want to introduce new characters that would make kids want to go out and buy them, but at the same time they didn't want to make the old Decepticons too recognisable so as not to distract the audience from the Autobots.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    *beyond Metro Titan, Metrobomb and the Decepticon Race Track Patrol (that's right, a G1-accurate CHUG Barricade would make sense in both Anglophone and Japanese markets! Do eet!)

Let's hope EB is around in September because I'd like to pre-order it.

Considering that the legs and arms on this Megatron are a repaint of the arms and legs from TR Galvatron, I'll consider that a big plus. Furthermore, there's something Gundam-like about this guy (another plus). And finally the fact he's the enemy of Star Convoy (once again another plus).

OMP's price is around $145 before shipping. I might see if any of the HK dealers do any better before placing my order. The economy is really screwing with the price of this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The character design image on the Siebertron website (this one) shows Super Megatron on the left in both modes (which is what this toy is based on), and Ultra Megatron on the right in both modes... which I guess leaves the door open to another remould in the future to create Ultra Megatron from this new Super Megatron toy.
    Looks like the Super Megatron toy has been designed to become Ultra Megatron, with a different chest, face and a tank mode (kinda).

These are the two modes of Super Megatron...

And these are the Ultra Megatron modes (both robot pics have different faces to the Super Megatron robot photo)...