View Poll Results: Should I open my sale pile?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, open everything

1 14.29%
  • Yes, but only open some things

3 42.86%
  • No, keep everything in the box

2 28.57%
  • No, just throw them away

1 14.29%

Thread: Unboxing

Default Unboxing

I've put a hold on attempting to do any sales of my excess TFs during this Covid-19 time, but it means I've got several large boxes of TFs taking up space in my living room.

It occurs to me that if I open everything and throw out the boxes the remaining TFs will take up a fraction of the space, so I'm considering it.

Pros:
    More space
    With every figure loose I might find I actually like some of them and keep them
    Cheaper to sell because they can go in smaller boxes to ship
    A weekend spent opening TF figures!

Neutral:
    Maybe not much impact to value of figures that are MIB
    Many collectors not interested in the boxes anyway
    Not really trying to sell to make many of them to make money anyway!

Cons:
    Depreciation of MISB toys
    Some depreciation of MIB toys
    More chance for damage/dust to the figures (less value)
    Don't actually reduce my TF count by keeping ones I grow to like when I handle them!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I've put a hold on attempting to do any sales of my excess TFs during this Covid-19 time, but it means I've got several large boxes of TFs taking up space in my living room.

It occurs to me that if I open everything and throw out the boxes the remaining TFs will take up a fraction of the space, so I'm considering it.

Pros:
    More space
    With every figure loose I might find I actually like some of them and keep them
    Cheaper to sell because they can go in smaller boxes to ship
    A weekend spent opening TF figures!

Neutral:
    Maybe not much impact to value of figures that are MIB
    Many collectors not interested in the boxes anyway
    Not really trying to sell to make many of them to make money anyway!

Cons:
    Depreciation of MISB toys
    Some depreciation of MIB toys
    More chance for damage/dust to the figures (less value)
    Don't actually reduce my TF count by keeping ones I grow to like when I handle them!

Well unless they aren't duplicates of what you already have then keep them in the box! I myself have a fair few spares as well but thankfully I've got some space. If you have some Masterpieces you want to sell later Id be interested

Keep those you think you might want to sell in the future boxed.
    MIB / MISB collectors are willing to pay significant premium for minty boxed items.

Open the others to save space.
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

I'd say, if you've already decided that you want to move them on. leave them in the box. shift the stack to a more out of the way part of your place until you're ready to start listing and selling again. Just because you're not looking to profit off them doesn't mean you should lose money for the sake of saving some space in the short term.
    If there are some that you are curious about for whatever reason, crack them open.

Go back to the ones you have open that you already like, appreciate them more.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

If there's figures you don't like then I'd consider parting ways on ebay before opening, because you won't recoup your money after. Cheaper to ship maybe, not cheaper to sell.

If there are toys you want, and would play with, nows the perfect time to open. We might all die of covid (I joke, but not joking- I'm immunodeficient and if I catch it it is likely). I decided to open ( sacrilege )all my MISB G1 toys. Why defer the pleasure of playing them, so that others can have that joy after I am dead.

The only reason for keeping misb for me, emotionally, was so I could open and play with them one day. But if I'm dead, I just miss out.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    If there's figures you don't like then I'd consider parting ways on ebay before opening, because you won't recoup your money after. Cheaper to ship maybe, not cheaper to sell.

If there are toys you want, and would play with, nows the perfect time to open. We might all die of covid (I joke, but not joking- I'm immunodeficient and if I catch it it is likely). I decided to open ( sacrilege )all my MISB G1 toys. Why defer the pleasure of playing them, so that others can have that joy after I am dead.

The only reason for keeping misb for me, emotionally, was so I could open and play with them one day. But if I'm dead, I just miss out.
    that must have been absolutely surreal!!
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post

This is a powerful message, thanks for sharing. Would have been an amazing experience. Stay safe.

I experienced a life threatening health issue last year and the biggest lesson was to enjoy the present more, don't keep putting things off into the future expecting you will live till 80.

Paulbot I'd say unless you're really counting on that money then open the ones that will bring you joy.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    I experienced a life threatening health issue last year and the biggest lesson was to enjoy the present more, don't keep putting things off into the future expecting you will live till 80.
    Good to hear you pulled through okay.