View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robots In Disguise (Car Robot)

3 15.00%
  • Unicron Trilogy

0 0%
  • Live Action Movie

4 20.00%
  • Animated

7 35.00%
  • Aligned

3 15.00%
  • Cyberverse

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

3 15.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favourite Optimus Prime/Convoy (besides G1)?

My favourite non-G1 Optimus Prime would have to be Fire Convoy (RID Optimus Prime). Out of the other non-G1 Primes, only he and Movieverse Optimus Prime transform into licensed vehicles; the others are all fictitious alt modes. Which is fine, but I prefer real-life based alt modes as they really play on the "robots in disguise" element of Transformers to me. The other thing that appeals to me about Fire Convoy is his persona; I love how he's a hero even when he's not fighting 'Cons, as he actually works with human firefighters saving lives.

While Movieverse Prime does have licensed vehicle modes too, I find him to be lacking in the heroic department; he was fine in Bumblebee and the 2007 film, but in the Bayformer sequels I found that he basically just became a brute. Even as Chris McFeely's video points out, he became less like how Larry Cullen advised Peter Cullen to play Optimus Prime like; "Be strong enough to be gentle." I find that Fire Convoy is strong enough to be gentle. But yeah, it's the combination of those two main factors that make Fire Convoy my favourite non-G1 Optimus Prime - he's a realistic licensed fire engine and he saves lives beyond just bashing bots.

And to top things off, while Car Robot was a short-lived line it was the first line to give us post-Beast Wars TFs as transformable action figures with licensed vehicle modes. This directly inspired Takara to create Binaltech and Masterpiece, and has in turn come to influence many recent lines including some CHUG and many Movieverse toys (and to Movieverse's credit, that series has given us a lot of Transformers based on licensed vehicles). Next time you're playing with a fully articulated licensed vehicle Transformer toy, thank Car Robot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Having watched the Basics I am going with Zombie Optimus. What the hell were they smoking. That thing was nightmare fuel back in the day.
    That's still G1 Optimus Prime (reanimated & reprogrammed as a zombie by the Quintessons); you could argue that it's a proto-form of what we would come to call Nemesis Prime (although there was an even earlier version in "Attack of the Autobots"; see The Basics on Nemesis Prime for more). I personally thought that Zombie Starscream was scarier and more of a true zombie. Or even creepier were the Destroids; zombies created by the Decepticons using human corpses, and if that wasn't creepy enough, the Mark II Destroids were made by converting living humans! (and they were harder to "kill" too).

You could probably add Shattered Glass Optimus in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    You could probably add Shattered Glass Optimus in there too.
    True that! Unfortunately I cannot edit the poll, but feel free to click on the "Other (please specify)" choice -- although you've already specified

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    True that! Unfortunately I cannot edit the poll, but feel free to click on the "Other (please specify)" choice -- although you've already specified
    Honestly, out of the options above, I'd probably vote for Aligned Optimus. I haven't seen the post Beast Hunters stuff but Prime Prime seems the 'Prime-iest' Optimus to me somehow, even over cartoon G1. He wasn't anything new or innovative like Animated, and he had no sense of humour like the old RiD, but he did sort of seem like a really refined/distilled version of the sort-of 'essential Prime character' IMO.
    Dr Smoov Optimus Prime is definitely my favourite portrayal though.

I didn't actually cast a vote though, because I haven't seen the new RiD or Cyberverse cartoons, so I can't really make an informed judgment call yet.

I haven’t seen Cyberverse so can’t really comment on their version.

I feel like Aligned & Movieverse lean a little too far into the noble leader archetype, and can be a little distant.

Why I chose Animated is because they take him in a different direction - he’s not the supreme commander. Rather he’s one of the troops leading his own little squad. He’s an ordinary person thrown into extraordinary circumstances and steps up to meet his responsibilities. He didn’t always have the answers, but did what he could with what he had. I think it’s more realistic & approachable and more encouraging role model to look to.

Honestly, out of the options above, I'd probably vote for Aligned Optimus. I haven't seen the post Beast Hunters stuff but Prime Prime seems the 'Prime-iest' Optimus to me somehow, even over cartoon G1. He wasn't anything new or innovative like Animated, and he had no sense of humour like the old RiD, but he did sort of seem like a really refined/distilled version of the sort-of 'essential Prime character' IMO.
    Aligned Optimus Prime = the walking quotage engine
    As McFeely's video points out, G1 OP had more of a personality, even making quips. As you've rightly pointed out, Aligned OP is humourless (with an arguably sterile or clinical personality). Movieverse Optimus Prime is like that too.

I didn't actually cast a vote though, because I haven't seen the new RiD or Cyberverse cartoons, so I can't really make an informed judgment call yet.
    New RID OP is also Aligned Optimus Prime, as the series is a sequel to Prime. Cyberverse OP doesn't impress me, although admittedly Cyberverse places far more emphasis on Bumblebee.

My favourite non-G1 Optimus Prime would have to be Fire Convoy (RID Optimus Prime).
    If Fire Convoy counts (I didn't even think of him, since I really don't think of the Car Robots characters by their RiD names), then yes he's also my favourite.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    If Fire Convoy counts (I didn't even think of him, since I really don't think of the Car Robots characters by their RiD names), then yes he's also my favourite.
    Yes, for the purposes of this poll we're counting Fire Convoy (2000) as Optimus Prime (RID2001).
    P.S.: please vote

Aligned Optimus Prime = the walking quotage engine
    As McFeely's video points out, G1 OP had more of a personality, even making quips. As you've rightly pointed out, Aligned OP is humourless (with an arguably sterile or clinical personality). Movieverse Optimus Prime is like that too.
    Yeah, he is. It kind of works for him though, both in the way he's written and how Peter Cullen plays him. Again, it's basically 'G1 Prime refined'.

What I would have liked to see is him trying to make a joke once or twice (in a 'spirit of the moment' kind of way) and having it fall flat.

Yes, for the purposes of this poll we're counting Fire Convoy (2000) as Optimus Prime (RID2001).
    P.S.: please vote
    PPS voted.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister