Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MP39+ Spinout (Red Sunstreaker) announced

Default MP39+ Spinout (Red Sunstreaker) announced

Takara-Tomy Mall number (apparently a lot of them have been showing up on Hasbro Pulse as well), accessories seem to be the same as MP Cordon, and the same headsculpt. JPY 13,200.
    Link at Seibertron.com, includes images.

Images from the TakaraTomyMall listing - for release late November for 13,200yen.

I'm in, I've been waiting for this guy for a while.

EDIT - For those who aren't aware btw, the red Diaclone pre-Sunstreaker is apparently the first car-to-robot transforming toy ever designed (at least, according to Hasbro), and additionally there's pretty plausible speculation that the colours and molds for Sideswipe and Sunstreaker got switched around somewhere in the G1 Diaclone-to-Transformers process. So this guy is a pretty cool homage (IMO), and if you have MP Tigertrack then you'll be able to get a 'what could/would have been' pair of almost-but-not-quite Sideswipe and Sunstreakers. So there's some cool/interesting history behind this redeco.
    Last edited by griffin; 30th April 2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: added TTM link and images

Haha, was just making a thread for this too.
    Yeah, I'm in for it 100%. Apparently the name Spinout was in consideration before Hasbro settled on Sunstreaker for the G1 toy (and made it yellow).
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Ok we all saw this coming at some point so good to get it confirmed. That car mode is dope.

Now I know we all gave up trying to understand the numbering convention long ago but why is this a "+" version (previously reserved for toon or toy repaints of the original release in the same colour)? Previously they would have called it MP-39R in the same way they did with Red Bumblebee etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Now I know we all gave up trying to understand the numbering convention long ago but why is this a "+" version (previously reserved for toon or toy repaints of the original release in the same colour)? Previously they would have called it MP-39R in the same way they did with Red Bumblebee etc.
    Not sure the + really means anything anymore. Burning Convoy was MP-38+ for instance. So I guess the + simply means alternate deco rather than toy or toon specifically?
    It'll probably change again in 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Not sure the + really means anything anymore. Burning Convoy was MP-38+ for instance. So I guess the + simply means alternate deco rather than toy or toon specifically?
    It'll probably change again in 12 months.
    Haha yeh I know. I forgot about MP-38+. So Cordon would probably have been a + but they knew they were doing Red Sunstreaker so reserved the + spot for it. Simples.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Is it wrong that I want that head on a Sunstreaker?

Nice repaint but it's still not Jazz haha. Waiting till we get some colour pics of Fans Toys Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Is it wrong that I want that head on a Sunstreaker?
    Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Haha, was just making a thread for this too.
    Yeah, I'm in for it 100%. Apparently the name Spinout was in consideration before Hasbro settled on Sunstreaker for the G1 toy (and made it yellow).
    Everything I've seen, including two of the colouring & activity books, indicates that Spin-Out was a red version of the Sunstreaker toy with the name and bio change at some point late in the game.

It's this history that makes me want to buy this, but Sunstreaker (in any colour) is an expensive MP. And I thought buying Blue Bluestreak was pricey.

When you think about it the unused names like Spin-Out, Blow-Out, Sprint, Guzzler all names seem odd today but Sunstreaker, Cliffjumper, Windcharger and Trailbreaker would seem odd if we hadn't heard them for 36 years.