Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MP39+ Spinout (Red Sunstreaker) announced

I'm also going to have to find some decent Shapeways etc launchers for him, assuming he only comes with one.

For those who aren't aware btw, the red Diaclone pre-Sunstreaker is apparently the first car-to-robot transforming toy ever designed (at least, according to Hasbro), and additionally there's pretty plausible speculation that the colours and molds for Sideswipe and Sunstreaker got switched around somewhere in the G1 Diaclone-to-Transformers process. So this guy is a pretty cool homage (IMO), and if you have MP Tigertrack then you'll be able to get a 'what could/would have been' pair of almost-but-not-quite Sideswipe and Sunstreakers. So there's some cool/interesting history behind this redeco.
    I'll add this to the first post too.

Official page for Spin Out is here:
    https://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/products...f_mp/mp-39plus

Yeah, the belief is that the shoulder rockets on Sunstreaker's shoulders were meant to be the rocket pack for Sideswipe, and that the huge piston like arms on Sunstreaker were meant to be Sideswipe's piledriver arms. Huh, in that sense I guess you could head canon Spin-Out as an alternate universe Sideswipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Everything I've seen, including two of the colouring & activity books, indicates that Spin-Out was a red version of the Sunstreaker toy with the name and bio change at some point late in the game.
    I don't remember if it was said why there was a late colour swap of Sunstreaker and Sideswipe, but I remember that is said to be why their bios (and the abilities on the cartoon) didn't make much sense, but did with each other bot.

Since we already have the yellow redeco of MP Sideswipe, it will look interesting pairing it up with a red MP Sunstreaker... and give us an idea of what the main cast would have looked like if we put the redecos on the display shelf with the other 1984 Masterpiece toys.
    A red Sunstreaker was something sorely missed during the time of the Japanese Ehobby reissue redecos, as we got the yellow Sideswipe (which they called Tigertrack)... so finally having a red Sunstreaker will be like having the Gen2 coloured Combiner Wars Stunticons... it's not exactly the original, but close enough, for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Haha, was just making a thread for this too.
    Yeah, I'm in for it 100%.
    Heh. There's a shock

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    Now I know we all gave up trying to understand the numbering convention long ago but why is this a "+" version (previously reserved for toon or toy repaints of the original release in the same colour)? Previously they would have called it MP-39R in the same way they did with Red Bumblebee etc.
    Considering the TakaraTomyMall listing apparently says that Spinout is a new character, I think it should have a new number... or a letter at least. Delta Magnus and Roadrage had new numbers, but then Tigertrack, Cordon and Clampdown had letters added to an old number.
    The plus toys were supposed to just be redecos that are the same characters... so I think this is a mistake, and one that will make it impossible to put much stock in the number system from now on.

Seeming the + line has been hitting EB/zing... any idea if this is going to be available here?

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    Seeming the + line has been hitting EB/zing... any idea if this is going to be available here?
    I will ask, but it wasn't on Hasbro Australia's most recent "current" imports listing, which is changing quite frequently lately.
    EB Games has been pretty good at listing anything they are wanting to stock, about 2 weeks after it has been officially revealed in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Is it wrong that I want that head on a Sunstreaker?
    I really like the idea of having this as a tribute to the original, first transforming transformer/diaclone. the price stings a lot, but I think I'm going to spring for it anyway.
    If they release the sunstreaker again with the toy head sculpt I'll be selling the first release in a heartbeat and replacing it.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Official page for Spin Out is here:
    https://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/products...f_mp/mp-39plus

Yeah, the belief is that the shoulder rockets on Sunstreaker's shoulders were meant to be the rocket pack for Sideswipe, and that the huge piston like arms on Sunstreaker were meant to be Sideswipe's piledriver arms.
    Sunstreaker has a giant jetpack like structure on his back.
    And most noticeably those weird red body panels.

https://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2...unstreaker.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    And most noticeably those weird red body panels
    The red shoulder stickers were left unchanged from the Diaclone toy. They're supposed to cover up the black plastic and match the rest of the deco, which works when they're the right colour.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.