5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Age of Distinction Model

3 60.00%
  • Popularity Model

1 20.00%
  • Mathematical Model

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you divide up the original Generation 1 era?

I deleted the old thread.

The reason simply being that the poll options couldn't be edited. Nothing more. As Gok said, we had a discussion about the options being too rigid - more specifically Paulbot made some very good points about the options being offered not being suitable for everyone. So I deleted so Gok could start anew with a wider set of options.

Noone's views were being silenced; rather this new poll was created so that a more flexible (and, hopefully, inclusive) poll could replace the old one. As with anything in life, if this work for you (and hopefully with the wider set of options, it can), feel free to contribute. If not, feel free to disregard this poll and move onto the next thread, people

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post

The reason simply being that the poll options couldn't be edited. Nothing more. As Gok said, we had a discussion about the options being too rigid - more specifically Paulbot made some very good points about the options being offered not being suitable for everyone. So I deleted so Gok could start anew with a wider set of options.

Noone's views were being silenced; rather this new poll was created so that a more flexible (and, hopefully, inclusive) poll could replace the old one. As with anything in life, if this work for you (and hopefully with the wider set of options, it can), feel free to contribute. If not, feel free to disregard this poll and move onto the next thread, people
    I also disagree with the deleting of the old thread. People had put not-insignificant amounts of time into typing up their replies. Some of which had good thoughts. To have them just deleted is a bit disrespectful. Couldn't it have just been locked with the last post a link to the new thread?

So the poll options can be edited in this one? Why is that not made clear so that we can suggest other options? It seems that a few people had a Skype meeting, came up with 3 options that they liked and then this is now being forced down the rest of our throats with a "Don't like it? then bugger off!!" mentality.

And as Ultra Marginal says, what subset of the fandom does this apply to? Worldwide? Australia-wide? OTCA-wide? Because I can't imagine that this won't be spouted at someone in a facebook group after the final method is decided and lets be honest here, while OTCA is a great place, it's hardly the biggest fandom platform in the country and every TF fan in Australia can't be expected to accept a method that was agreed to by 6 people.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I also disagree with the deleting of the old thread. People had put not-insignificant amounts of time into typing up their replies. Some of which had good thoughts. To have them just deleted is a bit disrespectful. Couldn't it have just been locked with the last post a link to the new thread?
    My bad. That was not the intention. I was actually in agreement with the general sentiment of those posts & had encouraged Gok to widen the options he presented.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    And as Ultra Marginal says, what subset of the fandom does this apply to? Worldwide? Australia-wide? OTCA-wide? Because I can't imagine that this won't be spouted at someone in a facebook group after the final method is decided and lets be honest here, while OTCA is a great place, it's hardly the biggest fandom platform in the country and every TF fan in Australia can't be expected to accept a method that was agreed to by 6 people.
    That's a question for Gok to answer - though my impression is that it's him doing a non-scientific poll anyway to see how "the fandom" as a whole would classify. Where he then uses the results is up to him,

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Easy answer....

DON’T

G1 is G1. But as Kelvin can’t understand, there aren’t 2 Barrages in G1 that need splitting into eras, there are just 2 transformers with the same name. One is an insecticon, one is a micro master. They align themselves with that simple piece of additional knowledge. Same for the constructions. Original, European yellow, European yellow non-combining, G2. It has nothing to do with eras.

So what’s happening in his school? Many kids likely have the same name, and split up with surnames as a simple piece of additional knowledge. Extra Info made from classes.

Matthew and Matthew. (Oh no same name)
    Matthew smith and Matthew smith (well that didn’t work)
    Matthew smith grade 1, Matthew smith grade 6. (Oh my god thank Jesus we didn’t have to divide the school.)

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post

The reason simply being that the poll options couldn't be edited.
    You had better go and delete this thread as well.... missing a DON’T option.

When I said Paulbot's post just ended the thread I didn't anticipate that literally happening lol! No worries Dirge, I'm sure most can understand there wasn't any untoward reason for deleting the thread.

The only way G1 should be divided up is the way it currently is. US G1, JP G1 and Euro G1. Don't try and reinvent the wheel.

I think trying to divide G1 up is so full of quandaries that it's a process that can do little but lead to madness. See the attempts by Takara to make everything up until Car Robots one continuity - here and here

What are the defining criteria that you're using to classify? Is it cartoon, comic, origin, toy style? Do we count the Gold Box reissues as early G1 when they were released closer to Action Master times? The western comics appeared to do a decent job of just saying "they all exist" and just get on with story telling so there was no real need to divide the timeline up.

Do we class Headmasters with S3, because that makes sense from a cartoon narrative and alt mode style, but then what do we do about Pretenders and the second round of Targetmasters?

I think the benefits of the subdivision you outline above are less beneficial, because the fan that knows enough about the various releases knows about the confusion between G1 yellow and G2 constructicons so knows the tell tale signs to look for. (Case in point - I know a lot of otherwise useless bits of information about Transformers, and I didn't even know that there were G2 constructicons that combined)

There are just so many ways to slice the cake that everyone is going to have their unique preference that trying to divide it into three neat divisions is not realistic.

Just trying to divide and group myself we have

S1 & S2
    S3
    HM,TM,PM & Pretenders
    Micromasters & Action Masters
    Japan G1 - Headmasters, Masterforce & Victory
    Euro G1 - Turbomasters/Predators, Motivators, Obliterators, etc
    G2 - rereleases, cyberjets (93-95)

The question in the division above is does S3 go with S1 & 2 to make the years work, whereas the style and general consensus is that S3 is more in line with Headmasters/Targetmasters/Powermasters.

If you put Pretenders with Micromasters & Actionmasters as I would, you then get the issue with the second round of Targetmasters, who were released at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by DaptoDog View Post
    When I said Paulbot's post just ended the thread I didn't anticipate that literally happening lol!
    Nope. No record of it on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    The special treatment Goktimus gets from the moderators is transparent.
    That's a strong statement Paul. You need to provide instances of special treatment above what is considered appropriate. Or maybe being a Deluxe member affords special treatment?