Thread: Myer barcode numbers are the same for models in the same TF assortment/class

Default Myer barcode numbers are the same for models in the same TF assortment/class

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. Sorry if it's already known (I did try an OTCA search). It's something I've noticed recently with Earthrise Leaders and previously with Power of the Primes Deluxes but I don't know if all Myer TFs are like this.

Myer has its own sticker/barcode that has the same ID number for members of the same Transformer class/assortment. For example, Earthrise Astrotrain and Optimus Prime have the same number (5 010993 639809). Thinking outside the box:
    1. "Random selection" for online purchases means that the models from that class are effectively the same. They really are random since the picker scans identical barcodes. I managed to swap an OP that I got online with an Astro in store without any refunding - simple swap as they were the same toy in Myer's system.
    2. If you want to buy something on sale but can't find it in store, you could buy another member of that class and swap it for the one you want when it comes in stock (within the usual change of mind period) without refunding it (retaining the sale price). That's what they did for my OP/Astro swap.
    3. If you buy different members of a class at different times, and you want to return one that's fallen outside the return period, it could still be returned using a more recent receipt as each member is the same toy in Myer's system.

I'll leave the morals of all this up to you folks... but it's interesting and I wonder why Myer does it. Has anyone else had experiences related to assortment members having the same Myer ID number?

Ah, that's an interesting bit of info, thanks for sharing.

I did contact Myer via their eBay store once and asked if they could label their Transformers figures in greater detail (including name of the figure), in a similar fashion to how they label their LEGO sets. No response.

Yeah, that's something kmart confirmed at the time when I was looking at specific models. They have all the legends/voyagers/etc as a single SKU for each size :/

It has been an issue for a while. Especially for Myer and back when they had stores, Toys R Us because you could not buy the figure you want and they are too lazy to make it convenient for customers. I believe Hasbro may have said to Griffin they are looking at unique barcodes for characters rather than the same for a whole wave of a size.

With Myer I think I was able to put in the notes for a Click and Collect which figure it was that I wanted. That being said I may have been lucky to have got a staff member that was helpful.

This is also why we often get a new wave, but at Kmart or target they don’t scan. The “IT person” has opened the box, entered the first barcode, then said “1 box = 8 items”

Once it gets to a store, the lucky 1 (or 2 ) in the box that were entered scan fine, the others wait till someone realises nothing else scans.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    This is also why we often get a new wave, but at Kmart or target they don’t scan. The “IT person” has opened the box, entered the first barcode, then said “1 box = 8 items”

Once it gets to a store, the lucky 1 (or 2 ) in the box that were entered scan fine, the others wait till someone realises nothing else scans.
    Ahh... maybe this is why Myer have their own sticker barcode.