View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    7 77.78%
  • Only if cheap

    0 0%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

    0 0%
  • No

    0 0%
  • Not even interested

    2 22.22%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Shatter (Jet Type)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    36,480

    Default Toy Review - Studio Series Shatter (Jet Type)

    SHATTER
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 9
    Released here - ??? (overseas = May 2020)
    Approximate Retail Price - $29
    Approximate Size - 13cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Harrier jump jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks - doesn't fall apart^N/A
    Main Colours - red, black
    Main Accessories - x2 guns

    Photos
















    Thoughts
    The best Shatter toy made so far. The back kibble on the robot mode is quite large, but the toy is still fairly well balanced. Otherwise looks great in both robot and jet mode. The transformation is both intuitive and elegant, with a level of engineering the feels like "poor man's Masterpiece." Really impressive. The toy is nice and solid, unlike Car Type SS Shatter. Another impressive thing is how the jet mode really tries to conceal as much of the robot as possible. The entire upper half of the body and arms are well concealed, with only the thighs being prominent visible from underneath. And even then, the thighs carry the two rear landing gears, so they're not entirely useless. The cockpit has a nicely detailed interior covered by a clear canopy (which feels like it can open but I've yet been able to do so ). Underneath the cockpit is a retractable landing gear. The attempted minimisation of robot kibble in the jet mode on a Deluxe figure like this is really astounding. My only gripe is the lack of a Decepticon insignia. This toy feels like an MPM that was done with at a much, much smaller Deluxe budget and size. I cannot recommend this toy enough.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    14th Jul 2014
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    574

    Default

    ^Couldn't agree more!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    10th Mar 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    734

    Default

    Such a shame the other (car) Shatter lived up to her name but this jet version more than makes up for it. A very nice transformation with parts that go where they should with no fuss and nothing pops off at all. The jet mode conceals the bot almost perfectly, unlike other jetformers we've had in the past. I will admit the back kibble is quite over the top in robot mode, but it's also screen accurate and frees up the rest of the robot mode to have good articulation. She also has large heels so she's not going to topple over easily either.
    Shatter was my favourite of the new Decepticons introduced in the Bumblebee movie, so glad she finally got a figure that does her justice.
    WTB
    Universe Ruination urban/arctic camo
    oversized KO of G1/G2 Brawl

  4. #4
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    36,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    I will admit the back kibble is quite over the top in robot mode, but it's also screen accurate and frees up the rest of the robot mode to have good articulation.
    The screen likeness on this toy is not too shabby.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    23rd Sep 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    9,321

    Default

    I'm looking forward to getting this, but I'm a bit disspointed in the jet mode, I was pretty sure the jet in the film is a Harrier?

    Harriers don't have canard wings (the little ones at the front), the wings are pretty much the wrong shape and angle. I guess for this one they couldn't get a sponsorship from Hawker Siddley / Boeing, like they have for so many lockheed aircraft in the past.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

    my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    14th Jul 2014
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    574

    Default

    Yeah I read a thing that they did those winglet things to avoid any issues with not having the licence.
    To me a fast jet is a fast jet hahaahaha

    I must say I'm actually not a big fan of the red hands; while they're kinda accurate, it looks cheap bc they just melt into the red plastic of the arms.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    27th Mar 2020
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'm looking forward to getting this, but I'm a bit disspointed in the jet mode, I was pretty sure the jet in the film is a Harrier?

    Harriers don't have canard wings (the little ones at the front), the wings are pretty much the wrong shape and angle. I guess for this one they couldn't get a sponsorship from Hawker Siddley / Boeing, like they have for so many lockheed aircraft in the past.
    Spoken like an Aerospace Engineer. Oh wait...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    36,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    Yeah I read a thing that they did those winglet things to avoid any issues with not having the licence.
    That's what tfwiki reckons. <shrugs>
    Makes me wonder... have we had an accurate Harrier jet since 1993's G1.5 Deftwing? Movieverse Dirge is also just an approximation of a Harrier, although at least Shatter's Harrier mode is closer than Dirge's. I wonder if it's because TFs (especially since Bayformers) has primarily focused on US military aircraft from companies like Lockheed & Martin so they haven't bothered to maintain licence from non-American companies like Hawker Siddeley (UK) to fall by the wayside. <shrugs again> Your guess is as good as mine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    I must say I'm actually not a big fan of the red hands; while they're kinda accurate, it looks cheap bc they just melt into the red plastic of the arms.
    See... this is exactly how I feel about blue eyes on Optimus Prime! (and why I went ahead and painted yellow eyes on my Earthrise OP)
    Still, I guess you can always paint the hands a different colour if you like. Adding paints is always easier than removing unwanted paint apps (e.g. "battle damage" on Siege toys )

  9. #9
    Join Date
    31st Jul 2008
    Location
    Launceston
    Posts
    1,023

    Default

    This is a great toy.

    My only one minor gripe is with the back-kibble...it never feels like it's ever quite in the 'right' place. And it's waaaaay oversided too, but I can't think of anyway they could get around that with how much the designs in the BB movie cheated their transformations.

    Now if they could please go back and give Heli-Dropkick another crack, this time in the right colours etc k thx.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    27th Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney NSW
    Posts
    36,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    This is a great toy.

    My only one minor gripe is with the back-kibble...it never feels like it's ever quite in the 'right' place. And it's waaaaay oversided too, but I can't think of anyway they could get around that with how much the designs in the Bumblebee movie cheated their transformations.
    Yeah, I do wish that the backpack had some way of tabbing or locking into position. I do agree that it is quite large (hence why I took the photo of the toy from behind to show this), but surprisingly it doesn't make the toy too back heavy. She still stands just fine without toppling over.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    Now if they could please go back and give Heli-Dropkick another crack, this time in the right colours etc k thx.
    Replied here.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •