Thread: 60 Big w stores tipped to close

Default 60 Big w stores tipped to close

Came across this along my web travels

From https://www.bhg.com.au/big-w-closing-60-stores

Struggling bargain chain store Big W could be forced to close a third of their 183 stores Australia-wide due to falling profits.

Macquarie Wealth Management revealed the news in a client note today, stating that they may close 60 stores Australia wide after losing $110 million last financial year and $8 million in the first half of 2019.

Partial closure of the most unprofitable and shorter lease stores is more likely, Macquarie said in the note, revealed in The Australian.

Given significant closure costs for the portfolio, a more likely scenario is Woolworths to close up to one-third of its stores (60 stores), in our view. This cost could be around $759 million.

One thing that could stand in the way of the mass store closures, however, is the massive costs the company would incur due to the existing $2.7 billion in lease commitments.

Macquarie went on to say that the final cost would come down to the lease term remaining on these problematic sites and whether the landlord would accept a discount given potential for alternate use, etc.

It was also revealed that half of Big Ws stores were located in challenging regional areas, which some believe could be hit by store closures if they were to happen.

It is unlikely these locations will enable Big W to regain the momentum required for profitability, Macquarie said.

In a challenging retail environment, we see a reduction in store count as the most likely outcome from the review. Given the format of Big W stores, we believe it would be difficult to reduce space as Myer is doing and that outright store closure is more likely.

A spokeswoman for Woolworths, who own Big W, said a final decision had not been made as yet.

At our half-year results in February we announced a national review of our Big W store and distribution centre network, she said.

The review is ongoing and no decisions about our network have been made. We will update our team members and the market once the review has been completed.

UPDATE:

Macquarie Wealth Management first announced the possibility of closing 60 stores Australia wide on March 15 after reviewing Big Ws business in the wake of the company losing $110 million last financial year and $8 million in the first half of 2019.

Partial closure of the most unprofitable and shorter lease stores is more likely, Macquarie said in the note, revealed in The Australian.

Given significant closure costs for the portfolio, a more likely scenario is Woolworths to close up to one-third of its stores (60 stores), in our view.

And while Macquarie didnt specifically name which Big W stores would be affected by the possible closures, it did say that regional areas could be hit hardest.

It is unlikely these locations will enable Big W to regain the momentum required for profitability, Macquarie said.

At present, there are around 30 stores located in rural and regional areas around Australia - leading local papers to question whether the Big Ws situated in their specific areas will be affected. If so, the below 25 regional stores are among the most likely to be affected.

QUEENSLAND

Dalby, QLD

Gladstone, QLD

North Rockhampton, QLD

Yeppoon, QLD

Emerald, QLD

Warwick, QLD

NSW

Inverell, NSW

Armidale, NSW

Tamworth, NSW

Muswellbrook, NSW

Cessnock, NSW

Singleton NSW

Mudgee, NSW

Erina, NSW

Dubbo, NSW

Richmond, NSW

Katoomba, NSW

Bonnyrigg, NSW

Liverpool, NSW

Bathurst, NSW

Orange, NSW

Parkes, NSW

Tweed Head, NSW

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Renmark, SA

Port Augusta, SA

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Bunbury, WA

VICTORIA

Bendigo, Vic

Echuca, Vic

Wangaratta, Vic

Shepparton, Vic

This is just a broker report so it's pure speculation. Some stores may close but the exact number and locations are anyone's guess.

This report is from March 2019 so is hardly up to date. Also, I don't see how Liverpool and Bonnyrigg in NSW can be considered 'regional' when they are in the Sydney metro region.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

I know in Townsville Big-W is pretty strong and two of them go directly (same mall) up against Target which is a total basket case in both, the other is a lone wolf in the K-Mart/Target/BigDizzub market, so imho they will most likely be safe up here. Now, having typed that "fact" the two targets up here are not listed for closure or re-branding as per the news articles about Target to K-Mart or full closure. This is the way. Sadly for the employees of these stores that are no longer sustainable, I think these last couple of months has made retailers more aware of consumers' actions than ever.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    This report is from March 2019 so is hardly up to date.
    I thought it sounded familiar. I said the same thing back then when it was first posted here. Woolworths ended up stating they would close 30 stores.