Thread: Custom Convertors Robat (Bird Robo Bat Robo)

Default Custom Convertors Robat (Bird Robo Bat Robo)

This is a custom that I'm very proud of. It came from left field, a request to make a custom of a 1980's Transformers-adjacent toy series I knew nothing about. The Japanese toy company Mark made a toyline in the 1980's called Bird Robo featuring the character Bat Robo, which was later co-opted by the US company Select for their Convertors line of toys under the moniker Robat (more information here: http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_revi...SiAQTxFoYY7U5Q).
    I was asked to recreate Robat using a Transformers TR Mindwipe with the added caveat: I need to make him an all-in-one model rather than a Headmaster.

In short, I needed to scratch build like I never had before.

Here's the finished result:

For those interested in process,I started by finding an alternate head - A Transformers Prime Vehicon was the best candidate. I then carved out extra room in the body/chest cavity and removing the Headmaster port, and introducing a swinging plate that would both fit the cavity as well as supporting the new head, which I luckily found on a junker Transformers FOC Vortex. The pegs on that plate were used in the holes designed for the body cover that was already present, leading to a new problem - how to attach that and allow it to move without parts-forming. The solution (after a few false starts) was to re-sculpt that cover in resin and make a new mechanism in the bottom part of the body cavity. In a flash of inspiration, I used the original Headmaster body and legs (sans head, arms and face) to make a double hinge that was secure but moved freely. The pics in the gallery here show the transformation mechanism.No partsforming!

I recast the soft wingtips (in bat mode) in resin and painted them (as well as a few other parts) in Alclad Chrome to match the original Robat. The custom was then painted head to toe with SMS lacquers, and the soft plastic pieces dyed with Rit synthetic dye.
    I then added custom stickers from various sets by Toyhax, chopped, trimmed, and cut to size to fit this model.
    As an added bonus, as well as the weapons that came with the base mould, I included a fully painted sword weapon (taken from a Transformers Happy Meal toy), with a blunt end to homage the blunt sword the original Robat wielded.

Lastly, here are pictures of the original Robat, along with the custom, in his new home (in a first for me, a custom of mine now lives overseas! M-Bot has gone global!).

Last edited by M-bot; 4th June 2020 at 10:21 PM.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

I saw this on your Facebook page and have to say it's a mighty effort you've put in there!

I couldn't quite make out what you were saying about the robot back / bat chest until I saw the photos. That's amazing reverse engineering!

Paintwork is amazing too, and has come together so well!

Great custom, looks amazing.

BTW might want to edit the end of the link otherwise it won't work

Very nice M-bot. Always enjoy the in-process pics too.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    I saw this on your Facebook page and have to say it's a mighty effort you've put in there!

I couldn't quite make out what you were saying about the robot back / bat chest until I saw the photos. That's amazing reverse engineering!
    The written description isn’t the easiest to follow, I’ll admit. And the changes probably make the most sense if you have Mindwipe in hand for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Great custom, looks amazing.

BTW might want to edit the end of the link otherwise it won't work
    Not sure what happened there! Fixed now, thanks for the heads up!

(Correct link is http://www.collectiondx.com/toy_revi...SiAQTxFoYY7U5Q )

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Looks sick very good work

An amazing update and well done on your engineering efforts to remove partsforming!