View Poll Results: SS-58 Roadbuster - worth buying?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • Only if

2 66.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series 58 Road buster

Part of me hopes that they do clean Human Alliance-type versions of the remaining two as well. It always struck me as sort of a waste the way they mixed them up and didn't complete the HA set.
    Like, Deluxe fantasy lots-o-guns versions for the kids, and more-complicated, alt-mode-accurate, driver-interactive versions so that NASCAR fans can get 'em if they want. It really seems like Hasbro's marketing division dropped the ball on this one.

Love the Mad Max aesthetic in the car design (they only showed glimpses of the alt. mode in the movie) but hate it that not all the pegs fit into the holes (the ones beneath the windscreen) and I wish the cardboard backdrop wasn't the same as Sentinel Prime's (lazy Hasbro lazy). I'm glad that this toy is better than the DOTM version though.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember seeing Roadbuster on shelves for too long. I distinctly remember seeing him on shelves once, during the June Big W toy sale, and I was undecided on getting the Wreckers at the time, so I passed him up... and never saw him on shelves again.

What I've found with Roadbuster is that he's something of a pain to transform, because the two tabs used to connect the base of the windscreen to the rear end of the bonnet are obscured by the grey front of the door panel, and so you're connecting them 'by feel', which is annoying because they're not automatically perfectly lined up and you have to move the bonnet around a bit, bending the knees ever so slightly to do it. Also, pressing down on them can pop the front wheels out of position, and a couple of times after I successfully tabbed the windscreen into the bonnet, I had to pop a wheel back into position, undoing the connection. After a while, I found it can be easier to just leave the windscreen untabbed and let it rest on top of the legs, bending the knees a little to get the bonnet straight, although transforming Roadbuster correctly isn't impossible. It's a pity, because Roadbuster looks great in both modes, and in robot mode, he's my favourite Wrecker based on aesthetics alone.

Robot mode is pretty good, with lots on intricate moulding in the torso and lower legs. The arms on mine as a whole aren't loose, although one joint - the one that connect the upper arm to the elbow, is looser than I'd like.

The instructions want you to put the minigun on Roadbuster's shoulder, but the right arm is the screen-accurate position.

For the sake of completeness, the included backdrop is the same shot of Chicago on the LaSalle Street Bridge that came with sentinel Prime. The other Wreckers would also come with this backdrop.

All three Studio Series Wreckers together.