View Poll Results: SS-58 Roadbuster - worth buying?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • Only if

2 66.67%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series 58 Road buster

Default Toy Review - Studio Series 58 Road buster

So my initial thought is that I?m just happy to finally have a 3 DOTM wreckers in armoured form in the same scale.
    (sorry if the formatting is a bit off, this is my first go imbedding pictures with flickr)

IMG_1783 by Silver bolt, on Flickr IMG_1799 by Silver bolt, on Flickr

IMG_1796 by Silver bolt, on Flickr

He is bristling with detail. The chest is fake, but given the transformation I?m not sure how else they could?ve done it. I love the robot mode. He looks like a stocky little brawler, which just about suits the role he played in DOTM.

I initally thought his gun was on the puny side, and it is, but when I realised it forms the centre machine gun in alt mode, the size makes a bit more sense. I love the car mode and all the detail on it. The front machine gun can swivel and the rear missile pods can also be pointed in more directions than straight forward.

IMG_1792 by Silver bolt, on Flickr
    IMG_1791 by Silver bolt, on Flickr
    IMG_1788 by Silver bolt, on Flickr
    IMG_1790 by Silver bolt, on Flickr

I am fortunate enough to have a deluxe Topspin and I love the complexity of the transformation. The armored vehicle design gives liberty to the transformation and how panels flip and twist from vehicle to robot mode without the need for false pieces or kibble. I guess I was hoping for something similar with Road Buster.

Unfortunately Road buster, like is DOTM toy predecessor, is also a bit of a shell former. Basically fold the arms behind the back, shell covers the back and sides, flip rear of car over head, legs and feet from the front of the car. The fore arms do show in alt mode and give extra tech detail to the armoured up look.
    IMG_1794 by Silver bolt, on Flickr
    IMG_1795 by Silver bolt, on Flickr
    IMG_1793 by Silver bolt, on Flickr

Mine does have some loose shoulders which makes posing a bit difficult. The only Ball joints are in the shoulders, but with the large shoulder pads there is a bit of limitation to the range of movement. Due to the transformation he does sport double elbow joints, Otherwise he has all the knee elbow hip joints etc are there. Unfortunalty there isn't a waist swivel or a sideways ankle joint. Something I've noticed as I've written this review is that its that this roadbuster is one of a few TFs that has properly proportioned thighs.
    Is it one of the greatest Studio series robots, i wouldn't say so no. But is it better than its DOTM predecessor? Absolutely.

Just got mine and the arms on mine are loose. But a great figure that fills a gap in the collection. I really hope they release a Studio Series armoured Leadfoot to go with Topspin and Roadbuster. I missed out on the original deluxe toy when it was released and it doesn't help that the it was never released outside Japan either.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Just got mine and the arms on mine are loose. But a great figure that fills a gap in the collection. I really hope they release a Studio Series armoured Leadfoot to go with Topspin and Roadbuster. I missed out on the original deluxe toy when it was released and it doesn't help that the it was never released outside Japan either.
    SO many annoying things about the original Wreckers toys - they never released any size class coherently, it was always a mix of clean and armored vehicles (despite no clean vehicles being seen in the movie anyway...). That's if they were all available in the same class anyway...

And then Leadfoot being a PITA to get hold of in this country didn't help (like a lot of the DOTM toys); the 'Target' branding on his gut causing all sorts of problems. Hopefully a Studio Series Leadfoot doesn't have any licensing issues, even if it means leaving that detail off. But if they're able to make a Dino toy happen finally, then there's definitely hope for a Leadfoot.

And yes - the arms on my SS Roadbuster are loose too. Kind of not impressed with how the vehicle mode is mostly held together with 'hope' rather than tabs, but I like him well enough overall.

Don't mean to be a downer, but like a lot of the SS car deluxes the underside just kills this for me. It's literally a robot laying face down with its arms by its side wearing a car cape. Between that and the fake chest I'm not interested, which is a shame because I like the design - the HA version of this figure is one of my all time favourites.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    And then Leadfoot being a PITA to get hold of in this country didn't help (like a lot of the DOTM toys); the 'Target' branding on his gut causing all sorts of problems. Hopefully a Studio Series Leadfoot doesn't have any licensing issues, even if it means leaving that detail off. But if they're able to make a Dino toy happen finally, then there's definitely hope for a Leadfoot.
    Is there talk of a new Dino or are you talking about the old one?

SO many annoying things about the original Wreckers toys - they never released any size class coherently, it was always a mix of clean and armored vehicles (despite no clean vehicles being seen in the movie anyway...). That's if they were all available in the same class anyway...
    ^100% agree. Really wished that they were more consistent with it. I don't mind all of the Deluxes being clean and all of the Legions being armoured or vice versa -- just pick ONE.

And then Leadfoot being a PITA to get hold of in this country didn't help (like a lot of the DOTM toys); the 'Target' branding on his gut causing all sorts of problems. Hopefully a Studio Series Leadfoot doesn't have any licensing issues, even if it means leaving that detail off.
    Clearly wasn't an issue for Human Alliance Leadfoot or that version of Deluxe Leadfoot that Silverbolt has. Is that the Hasbro Deluxe? I only have the TakaraTOMY Deluxe which has no logos.

P.S.: This review thread's poll isn't showing up on my browser.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

P.S.: This review thread's poll isn't showing up on my browser.
    Not everyone puts a poll

Will they do all three in SS? Or is this meant to just fill a gap?

Topspin is getting a release in Studio Series. The real unknown is Leadfoot because of the whole Target branding. Presumably they will since Target and Transformers in US seem to have a strong partnership in US. Guess they'll leave it blank for international releases.