View Poll Results: Earthrise Skylynx - worth buying?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes!

21 75.00%
  • yes, but only if...

6 21.43%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not even interested in it

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Skylynx

I'm going against the grain but the more I'm seeing Earthrise Skylynx the more I'm not feeling it. Perhaps maybe if/when it goes cheap on Amazon later down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Unicran View Post
    I'm going against the grain but the more I'm seeing Earthrise Skylynx the more I'm not feeling it. Perhaps maybe if/when it goes cheap on Amazon later down the track.
    Not just you Unicran. I'm not a fan of Sky Lynx, even in 1986. I never liked the G1 cartoon character - too prideful. And the toy seemed like a cheap cop-out with the head obviously being the cockpit. Sky looks like a funny chicken, which doesn't gel with his bio, and perching him on top of four legs makes him look weird. And, for some reason back then, I kinda wanted the Autobots to have robot modes (yes, I know, Steeljaw and Ramhorn...)

Still, good for you guys to get your G1 Sky Lynx! And extra good if you got him on sale at BigW.

Okay, it turns out that my Sky Lynx was defective. I've since exchanged it and my new Sky Lynx connects just fine.

Mounted Shuttle = 29cm(L) x 15.5cm(H) x 17.5cm(W)

Shuttle = 27cm(L) x 10cm(H) 17.5cm(W)
    Launch platform = 23.5cm(L) x 6.5cm(H) x 13cm(W) [17cm(W) with cannons attached]

Blast effects attached to shuttle thrusters

Blast effects combined and attached to archaeopteryx mouth gun

Robotic archaeopteryx and lynx modes

Robotic archaeopteryx mode

Robotic lynx mode with blast effect attached to mouth gun

Robotic lynx mode

Combined bestial robot mode

Base mode

Shuttle with payload doors open

Comparison with Combiner Wars Sky Lynx

Comparison with Generation 1 Sky Lynx

PROS
    • The amount of detailing on this toy's sculpt is jaw-droppingly amazing

• The inclusion of attachable cannons is a neat way to allow the launch platform to have an attack mode; reminds me of the Armoured Platforms from Macross

• The connection between the shuttle and platform is really nice and tight (if not then your toy may be defective like my first one)

• The heat shielding tiles and forward control thrusters are light whitish grey, which I think is a nice way to further break up the uniform white colour of the shuttle mode

• The robotic beast modes both look really nice. Both are designed to look far more majestic with a wider wingspan on the archaeopteryx and broader shoulders on the lynx. The head of the lynx is also more feline looking

• Why do I keep on calling the dinobird an archaeopteryx? Because to me this is what the shuttle's bestial robot mode looks like. On the G1 toy it's kind of vague - some kind of pterosaur? It can't be a bird because it has teeth. But yet it's tail and legs are more birdlike. ER Sky Lynx feels like it's finally solved the puzzle of what the hell this mode is meant to be - an archaeopteryx; the genus of birdlike dinosaurs that were the evolutionary transition between birds (avian dinosaurs) and dinosaurs (non-avian dinosaurs). The wings are sculpted with feathers, which disqualifies it as a pterosaur (which are reptiles, not dinosaurs), and its teeth disqualifies it as a modern bird. I think it's an archaeopteryx.

• The officially licensed NASA logo is neat, and I love that they gave thus shuttle a name - Magnificence. Very nice.

• The design/engineering level on this toy is outstanding. It feels like Masterpiece done at a smaller budget (much like Siege Jetfire).

• $150 is a pretty decent price (considering that $100 is max RRP for a Leader Class toy). At $119 you're laughing.

• While the vertical stabiliser is prone to dislodging or collapsing upon contact, the advantage is that it reduces the odds of it breaking

• Amazingly G1-accurate design. One glance at this toy and you know exactly who it is.

CONS
    • Amazingly G1-accurate design. Why is this also a con? Because let's face it, the G1 toy is goofy. The shuttle mode has always been fine, but the archaeopteryx mode, especially with a head basically just being the cockpit with an open maw? It's silly. The platform mode is also inherently... meh. It's a box with the lynx legs folded up. Now I get it, this is all intentional because it's trying to be G1 accurate (which is why I've also listed it as a Pro), but objectively speaking - for people who didn't grow up during G1 or have a prior attachment to G1 Sky Lynx, this toy must look rather strange. A large part of this toy's appeal is the nostalgia factor, and this can be both an attractive or non-attractive factor depending on your outlook.

• Vertical stabiliser on shuttle doesn't fully lock into position. As mentioned before it is prone to dislodging or collapse, although see above for the overall advantages of this (in a post MP Hound world, I see it more as a plus than a minus)

• The little spindly legs on the archaeopteryx mode doesn't support the body very well, especially if you give it a biologically accurate digitigrade stance. It can stand better a more plantigrade looking leg configuration, but then the legs look more human-like. :/

• It would be nice if the wings had connection points in archaeopteryx mode to hold them into position (and avoid potential future wing collapse as those joints loosen up).

• The base mode is silly looking. I get it. It's meant to be an interactive playset for the Micromasters, but still a tad underwhelming. The large centre ramp is also not nearly long enough to reach the payload compartment of the shuttle so. But on the plus side it doesn't really compromise the overall toy either; so you can happily ignore this mode if you like or use it if you do. The options are there.

OVERALL
    Much like Siege Jetfire, this is a really well designed toy which I think is good value for money. And just like Siege Jetfire, ER Sky Lynx's design is unapologetically G1. So if you're a fan of G1 Sky Lynx then this toy is for you, and if not then I'm quite surprised that you're even reading this right now. But this toy was made for G1 fans and makes no apology for it. Highly recommended for fans of this character.

Went to check him out yesterday due to the Big W dale. I had no intention, in fact I thought it was a gross waste of time to mould. But due to the price I bought him, mainly due to the fact that I went to get something and I didn’t want to leave with nothing.
    The second my card cleared the payment I had huge buyers remorse.....
    Get home and open him straight away and OMG I now love this mould to death.
    He is (just like most new TF’s they are what we wish G1 was) perfection.

So doubters beware he is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    • The base mode is silly looking. I get it. It's meant to be an interactive playset for the Micromasters, but still a tad underwhelming. The large centre ramp is also not nearly long enough to reach the payload compartment of the shuttle so.

I noticed in your picture you haven't extended the ramp. It took me a a minute on nine to realise there is a second piece that slides and extends from underneath. Love the review by the way.

I have no real attachment to G1 and hadn't really heard of Sky Lynx before but I like space shuttles so decided to put one on layby.

Nice review and kudos on the accurate dinosaur/pterosaur descriptions. I appreciated it.

I would've preferred if the Lynx part in alt mode was less like the old toy and more like a proper shuttle rolling platform, maybe with an elevator tower and the ability to have the shuttle sit vertically on top of it. I still really like it though.

I like the base mode. It's a nice addition and decent use of Lynx's spare space. I also like how they've given us two space shuttles with launching pads in the same line (and that can click together).

The more I play with Sky Lynx the more I am enjoying it... for me, this is my favourite figure of 2020, so far...

Earthrise Skylynx is just a beautifully designed toy, with a really intuitive transformation design. I know many people prefer the overly complex, but I grew up with G1 -level complexity and I really struggle with some of these newer toys. For me the fun isn?t in having it sit on a shelf, but in actually transforming the toy and playing with it. And so I was greatly relieved on opening up Skylynx (which I bought last week at full retail price) to find that he?s relatively easy to transform. In fact most of it reminded me of the original G1 Skylynx, and so I was able to work out all the steps without having to resort to YouTube.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

I generally prefer traditional robot and a vehicle mode Transformers, however this is so fun and well done that I have no remorse on buying this.