View Poll Results: Earthrise Skylynx - worth buying?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes!

21 75.00%
  • yes, but only if...

6 21.43%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not even interested in it

1 3.57%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Skylynx

I must admit I picked this figure up on the back of the hype and expected demand, so it was more 'fear of missing out' rather than a genuine desire to get Skylynx. That said, I'm very happy with the purchase and don't regret it at all.

For people who value the weight of a toy, both components of Skylynx have surprising heft. The figures feel solid, save for that loose wing joint that makes the wings flop down when they're not secured to the fuselage. The Archaeopteryx can be a bit tricky to get standing by itself, but it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I must admit I picked this figure up on the back of the hype and expected demand, so it was more 'fear of missing out' rather than a genuine desire to get Skylynx. That said, I'm very happy with the purchase and don't regret it at all.
    Heh, same here. I was really unconvinced about getting this toy but also grabbed it out of FOMO, and yeah, sure glad that I did.
    I guess the worst thing that can happen with a FOMO purchase is that you sell it at a slightly reduced price (unless you haven't opened the toy), but you can consider that marginal loss as a "rental fee" for having played with that toy for a short time.

Sky Lynx is probably a love-him-or-hate-him kind of dude, both in terms of the fiction's Unicron-sized ego (no doubt very annoying to many people) and the goofy toy with no humanoid robot mode (which I would hate if I hadn't fallen in love with him via the fiction).

His last toy was a cute little bag of dreadful compromises and barely worth existing from an "is this a decent Sky Lynx update" perspective. But the Earthrise guy is a huge, magnificent (no pun intended) thing. Definitely not a toy that will be for everyone, but if you're in the right demographic I think this hits all the right beats.

Definitely yes.

I am not normally a fan of upscaled figures, but for Sky Lynx it works, because he was supposed to be big, large enough to duke it out with a Combiner or transport Autobots.

And I have already placed my pre-order with Savier's Toys.

Never had the original, and when Combiner Wars' version came around I felt it was too small. So I was really keen on this version. So glad I got it.

I too did not like the CW version, too small and didn't seperate into the Bird/Lynx modules.
    A SkyLynx that cannot split in half is an inferior toy.
    That ended up being one of the toys I sold to get out of my collection.

Mine arrived today.

While I was relatively happy with CW version for what it was, this thing is just so, so much better. Well done, Hasbro!

Even though I bought him on sale this toy was the most expensive official non MP Transformer I've bought in years, and he's kinda just about worth the sale price. Mine still suffers from Hasbro cheap plastic syndrome so whenever you manipulate the rear lynx legs his flanks come undone, which is frustrating in a toy of this price point.

Still the mold itself is good, just the materials let it down, much like my experience with Spinister. I guess this is good enough seeing as how I do find Skylynx one of the more silly designs, but I still needed to get one to perform in the Cosmic Carnival.

I love this guy, mine got delivered on the weekend and it's very very nice indeed. I like the sculpting and subtle paint colouring on the end of the wings. I like his size and the little ramps in the lynx mode. I like the base mode it is a nice addition that best of all doesn't hinder the other mode. I've found myself swooshing the shuttle around the house as it's a great size for swooshing (much to my better half's dismay) and I've also been enjoying playing with the Lynx mode a lot more than I thought I would.
    It's legs are surprisingly articulated (and strong) meaning that I can actually pose him rather well.

Finally the complete package (Dinobird? - or is that just the shuttle?) just looks spectacular when combined! I almost makes me want Predaking and Optimus for scaleness. Currently got him plonked in the middle of a table at home so that all can behold his glory. I feel like he needs a nice sexy spacey micromaster to go with him, so I will look into that.

Best of all, it is a decent price here in Japan (unlike his previous buddy Jetfire, who was a bit on the expensive side).

The only problem I see with the figure is that the wings don't secure in place very well on any of his modes. The shuttle has tiny little tabs (that are a tad tricky), but the robot mode is relying entirely on the ratchet joints. I also noticed this morning there was a way to move the wings away from the body, which gives him a larger wing-span, but is really gappy when viewing from above.

I would say he's the best figure I've picked up all year.
    oh and looking at box inside pictures, it seems that the Maps and Decoders aren't included in the Japanese releases of the Earthrise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I love this guy, mine got delivered on the weekend and it's very very nice indeed. I like the sculpting and subtle paint colouring on the end of the wings. I like his size and the little ramps in the lynx mode. I like the base mode it is a nice addition that best of all doesn't hinder the other mode. I've found myself swooshing the shuttle around the house as it's a great size for swooshing (much to my better half's dismay) and I've also been enjoying playing with the Lynx mode a lot more than I thought I would.
    It's legs are surprisingly articulated (and strong) meaning that I can actually pose him rather well.

Finally the complete package (Dinobird? - or is that just the shuttle?) just looks spectacular when combined! I almost makes me want Predaking and Optimus for scaleness. Currently got him plonked in the middle of a table at home so that all can behold his glory. I feel like he needs a nice sexy spacey micromaster to go with him, so I will look into that.

Best of all, it is a decent price here in Japan (unlike his previous buddy Jetfire, who was a bit on the expensive side).

The only problem I see with the figure is that the wings don't secure in place very well on any of his modes. The shuttle has tiny little tabs (that are a tad tricky), but the robot mode is relying entirely on the ratchet joints. I also noticed this morning there was a way to move the wings away from the body, which gives him a larger wing-span, but is really gappy when viewing from above.

I would say he's the best figure I've picked up all year.
    oh and looking at box inside pictures, it seems that the Maps and Decoders aren't included in the Japanese releases of the Earthrise.
    I think i read somewhere he was suppose to come with a satellite but was cut thats probably why there is a hole in the payload section

Edit: It was on hasbro pulse it was supposed to come with a micromaster figure astroscope that turned into a satellite