View Poll Results: Earthrise Skylynx - worth buying?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely yes!

21 75.00%
  • yes, but only if...

6 21.43%
  • Not worth it

0 0%
  • Not even interested in it

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Skylynx

Default Toy Review - Earthrise Skylynx

SKYLYNX
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - War For Cybertron Chapter 2 - Earthrise
    Size/class - Commander
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - (1)
    Released here - June 2020 (BigW first) SEPT 2020 (general release)
    Approximate Retail Price - $150
    Approximate Size - 30cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Bird & Lynx, Space-shuttle & transport, rocket base
    Main Features/Gimmicks - connector ramps for other Earthrise figures
    Main Colours - blue, red, white, grey
    Main Accessories - 7 x orange blasts, 2 x weapons pods

Is anyone else having trouble making the front clip on "Lynx" connect with "Sky"?

Also, this review thread's poll isn't appearing on my browser.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Is anyone else having trouble making the front clip on "Lynx" connect with "Sky"?

Same, "Sky" is just basically sitting on "Lynx"

You need to attach it from front to back. Get the rear tab hooked in, then press down on the front until it latches. Once it's done right I find it incredibly solid.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

There isn't a poll.

Someone at TFW was having the same problem re. clipping them together. Apparently the trick is do the back pegs/clips first, then the front one. I don't know exactly how it works 'cos I'm not really interested in this one and we don't have any Big Ws in NW Tassie anyway, so I just read it in passing.

Looking at reviews for it on YouTube and someone by name of optibotimus mentions the locking mechanism. Around the 12 min mark in this video:
    https://youtu.be/oSM21DV-TwA

Yep, I was struggling until I did the back first, now it's a super-solid connection.

Very glad I decided to pick this figure up. It's awesome. Firstly size-wise, it's huge. No, bigger than that - HUGE. Easily the size of two leader class toys from before War For Cybertron shrunk the size class, and comparable to the size of the old Supreme class. Jetfire was a similar experience but I'd say Sky Lynx is actually bigger than Jetfire.

Size isn't the only thing he has going for him. He is a very detailed, highly articulated toy. One of my favourite things is how the neck extends for the bird/dragon modes (he's NOT a dinosaur, he's a space dragon). He has all of the little greebles and panel lines that we've come to expect from WFC Trilogy toys. Like Jetfire he has a bunch of effects parts included which are nice. One of my favourite details is the title "Magnificence" which is tampographed on to the shuttle portion on both sides, along with the NASA logo; this is presumably a reference to Sky Lynx's opinion of himself in the G1 cartoon, but it also gives the shuttle an official name, which is nice - it's the space shuttle Magnificence. (For Furmanverse fans, Sky Lynx only THINKS he knows everything though)

Sky Lynx has 5-6 modes, depending on if you consider the shuttle attached to the booster and separated separate modes. All of them work pretty well; the bird mode legs are a little small but he can be supported in this mode with careful posing; the base mode is a trifle weak but it's nice that "Lynx" now has his own independent alt mode. I found the lynx mode to be rather impressive, as it has most of the articulation that dragon mode does but with the lynx head exposed, which is really quite well done and is absolutely not an afterthought; it has its own articulation and a good sculpt. But the main event is obviously the dragon mode, which has all the strengths of the separate modes and none of the weaknesses. The way the neck pulls out and stores inside the shuttle body is impressively well done, and the detail on the wings is great. The wing articulation can feel a little difficult to get your head round, but once you do you can get some great poses.

I absolutely love this toy and it completely leaves the CW version in the dirt. I was glad we got that figure but I would take this one over it any day. Highly recommended.

I can get the back to connect just fine, but I have trouble making the front clip in. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't, and even when it does work it's not super solid. I reckon I'm doing something wrong but I can't tell what. The instructions are about as helpful as a one-legged person in a bum-kicking contest.

I love guy. Its an absolute bargain at the $119 and frankly would be worth the $149. I having the fun problem of fudging out where to put him. Ive been able to ge the back to connect OK. It took mw two attempts, but once you put the right pressure on the back clip and then the front, it stays together pretty solid. My main issue is that his wings have a tendency to fall off. There is a swivel joiner that goes into a slot near the base of the wings where this issue happens. Having transformed him into base mode there a a few more swivel joins that pop whole limbs off. Just have to be careful i suppose.
    I really like the range of motion in both the lynx and dragon heads.
    It seems very appropriate that since Skyliynx turns into NASA space shuttle that it should be called Magnificence.
    Last edited by Silverbolt; 18th June 2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: additional information

He’s magnificent. Toy of the year.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain