View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 44.44%
  • Only if cheap

0 0%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not even interested

5 55.56%

Thread: Toy Review - Scrapface (Trilogy)

Default Toy Review - Scrapface (Trilogy)

SCRAPFACE
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - War For Cybertron
    Sub-sub-line - Trilogy
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Repaint of Siege Refraktor
    Wave - 1
    Released here - June 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - $29
    Approximate Size - 12.5cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Artillery Hovercraft
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Kodak(TM) Moment
    Main Colours - metallic blue, gunmetal grey, red
    Main Accessories - rifle, shield, shutter/dial module

NOTE: See the Siege Refraktor review thread for discussions about the original mould. This review will focus on changes made.

MISB comparison with Refraktor

Robot mode; the "Warrior" (left) is unmodified

"Warrior" in centre

"Warrior" in centre

Artillery hovercraft mode

Camera mode on tripod

Without tripod (with component robots "shuffled")

THOUGHTS
    A gorgeous repaint of Refraktor. The metallic blue and use of airbrushing is quite premium quality. The red paint on the shins isn't executed with as much finesse, but it still looks fine to me. The weathered/damaged look on this toy is much better done than on Siege. As many of you know, I couldn't stand the "damage" on Siege and often just removed it with rubbing alcohol, but I don't feel the overwhelming urge to do this with the Trilogy toys. My only complaint is the scratch marks on the chest - not that it's not well done, but as this toy is an "army builder clone," it looks too distinctive (and detracts from the illusion of Scrapface as a Gumby). I tried rubbing the black marks off one of my Scrapfaces with rubbing alcohol and I do NOT advise anyone do this. Not only was it ineffective, but it also removed the metallic speckling from the clear red, faded the red, and left scuff marks on the clear plastic. This is why I've put a ridiculous number of stickers on my "Officer"'s chest - to cover up the damage from my attempt at removing the black scratch marks. I've since repainted the scratches silver, and with on "Espionage" I haven't touch it with rubbing alcohol at all, instead just choosing to add a few more scratches with a black Sharpie and added just one chest sticker to help differentiate it.

OVERALL: a very nice redeco of Refraktor, but having said that Refraktor can still be found in stores today (as evidenced by the MISB comparison photo that I took with both toys found in store just yesterday). Understandably Scrapface doesn't have the same nostalgia factor that Refraktor has, and also understandably not everyone is going to want to own a Scrapface when they already have Refraktor. But objectively speaking this is a very well done toy and I would definitely recommend it.

Why Scrapface?
    This character currently stands out in the Trilogy series as the only wholly new character in Wave 1. And this is something that's become a rarity in Transformers these days. So much of what we see now are just reimaginings of existing characters - even Hotlink originates from 1984! I suppose the risk of Hasbro creating new characters is that they cannot rely on using nostalgia as a marketing tool, but I see this as a good thing. Even every G1 Transformer was a wholly new and unknown character when they debuted, just like Scrapface. Sure, he's just a repaint, but so is the entire wave of this Trilogy line! But at least Scrapface is the first new character (and Hotlink too who's making his mass retail toy debut).

But if you really want to fit this character into G1 canon - and this is totally unofficial - but in my head canon Scrapface represents all of those generic Reflector clones seen in the G1 comics and cartoon.

In the G1 episode "Divide and Conquer," one of these Reflector-clones-who-isn't-Reflector is referred to as Warrior, which is more of a description of his Function rather than an individual/personal name. For this reason I've personally retconned Scrapface as all of these generic Reflector clones with "Warrior" as just one type of Scrapface (which in my collection is the unmodified toy). When any 3 of them combine into a camera mode then that camera is known as Scrapface (just as Viewfinder, Spectro and Spyglass combine to form Reflector); and individually they have their artillery hovercraft mode.

Generic Scrapfaces with generic purple seekers

Reflector (unique individuals) with generic Scrapface troopers

Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 23rd June 2020 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

I voted "Not even interested" - because I'm not. That said, I did see Scrapface at K-Mart along with most of wave 1 (no Hotlink) and he was the standout. It's a great repaint (some of them I thought were awful, particularly Sideswipe), and feels like a worthwhile repaint.

It's a shame they did those uber-distinctive scratchmarks, as you say.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Had to pick up Scrapface as I think he looks fantastic. He has a beautiful metallic paintjob and I love the clear red chest. For some reason I thought this guy was an Autobot but nope he's definitely a Decepticon, so I'm happy to have him be one of those Reflector clones we saw in the cartoon. I don't feel the need to get more of him, as he has his own alt mode - granted its not a great alt mode, but it's still self-contained without the need for additional figures.
    If you like pretty repaints, definitely get him.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

You'd think with a name like, "Scrapface" there'd be some facial scars.

Bought this guy and he's an awesome repaint-I think these repaints were a missed opportunity to do more characters not already in the mainline Siege (or at least things like decepticon Mirage), so very glad they make this guy a new character!!!!

I have no feels about G1, so this guy is way nicer than the normal Reflector/Refraktor.

At first I thought this guy was related to Perceptor until I saw the Decepticon logo.