View Poll Results: How much of G1 would you prefer to see done as CHUG?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Early G1 (Golden Age): 1984-85

1 4.76%
  • Early G1: 1984-87

3 14.29%
  • Early and Middle G1: 1984-1990

3 14.29%
  • All of G1: 1984-93

14 66.67%
  • Other (please specify)

0 0%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: How much of G1 would you like to see done as CHUG toys?

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Bumblebee is a camero in the movies coz Bay thought it looked cooler.
    And also because it wasn't legally possible to make him a VW Beetle in 2007.

Fun Fact: Bumblebee has been a Camaro longer than Bumblebee was a VW Beetle in the entire G1 run!

Bumblebee was a VW Beetle in G1 from 1984 to 1989 (or 1990 if you count Action Master Bumblebee, who didn't transform into anything but he did have VW Beetle alt mode kibble). So at best you're looking at 6 years. Bumblebee has been a Camaro from 2007 until now (re: Studio Series), so that's 13 years, more than double the time that Bumblebee was a VW in G1. Kids today would be more familiar with Bumblebee as a muscle car than as a Beetle. Even the Bumblebee movie ended with Bumblebee becoming a Camaro. Bumblebee as a sports car isn't an entirely new thing either. Generation 2 first gave us a sports car Bumblebee in 1995.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Bumblebee has been a Camaro from 2007 until now (re: Studio Series), so that's 13 years, more than double the time that Bumblebee was a VW in G1. Kids today would be more familiar with Bumblebee as a muscle car than as a Beetle.
    Exactly right. There are kids who have ONLY known Bumblebee as a Camaro for the entire time they've been alive. I heard stories from fellow fans who said their kids asked why Bumblebee is a Beetle when they saw the Bumblebee movie.

I have to imagine there'd be quite a few people who think Bumblebee has been mute since the beginning.

Okay. Tilarta... IF we see a CHUG Legends Bumblebee as a Beetle... or a Beetle-esque car, anyway... Hasbro will want to get their money's worth out of tooling the mould.

...would you buy the "Red" Bumblebee variant (tributing his G1 variant)? I certainly would. I've owned that toy since 1985, and the Yellow since... 1995.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    ...would you buy the "Red" Bumblebee variant (tributing his G1 variant)? I certainly would. I've owned that toy since 1985, and the Yellow since... 1995.
    Do I need to answer this too or is mine a given?

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Do I need to answer this too or is mine a given?
    Blind Freddy knows you'll buy it.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Umm...we've got like a whole recurring mainstream toyline dedicated to G1 re-imaginings/updates that's been going for like 14 years now, plus G1 reissues (though a few more of those would be nice, especially some that haven't been done yet), plus a mostly-G1 Masterpiece line, plus a fair few other sub-lines as well as reams upon reams of miscellaneous merchandise. G1 Bumblebee alone has two different Masterpiece figures and yet another reissue of the original minifigure out in KMart right now. All for a 25-year-old+ 80s cartoon series which was basically just a 25-minute-long toy commercial.

Hasbro's actually doing pretty well by us old-time G1 fans, hey.

Yeah, as a G1 (also movie) Bumblebee fan, I'd be lying if I said I felt deprived of updates. I have 56 official Bumblebee toys in my collection and that's me being picky! I could easily have way more if I wanted to get everything out there.
    Meanwhile, if you're a G1 Barricade or Hubcap fan, good luck... I would never say my needs take preference over theirs. I have more than had my fill as Gok said earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
    I am not any of those kids and honestly, as stated before, they've got their pick of like 10 Bee Camaros, so they've been well and truly catered too.
    As are G1 Bumblebee fans (esp compared to G1 Hubcap fans).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilarta View Post
    Time to give the G1 veteran fans a little sugar.
    Hundred percent. Which is the entire point of this thread!
    If you go back to the first post, it is a list of all G1 toys and the ones that have been "given sugar" are highlighted in blue. The names in black are the ones still desperately craving some CHUG sweetness.

Spread the love! Let all the names in black have their moment in the sun too! Characters like Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream etc. have been given so many sacks of sugar that they're just bloated to the point of near diabetic shock. Meanwhile, characters like Hubcap, Downshift, Steeljaw, Slugfest, Catilla, Kakuryu, Barricade, Calcar etc. are malnourished to the point of starvation!

I dunno about you guys, but I was really pumped to see the announcement of an upcoming CHUG Rotorstorm!
    Just take my money, Hasbro. Anytime they make a CHUG toy of a G1 character who's never been CHUGgified before I will just throw my money at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    Umm...we've got like a whole recurring mainstream toyline dedicated to G1 re-imaginings/updates that's been going for like 14 years now, plus G1 reissues (though a few more of those would be nice, especially some that haven't been done yet), plus a mostly-G1 Masterpiece line, plus a fair few other sub-lines as well as reams upon reams of miscellaneous merchandise. G1 Bumblebee alone has two different Masterpiece figures and yet another reissue of the original minifigure out in KMart right now. All for a 25-year-old+ 80s cartoon series which was basically just a 25-minute-long toy commercial.

Hasbro's actually doing pretty well by us old-time G1 fans, hey.
    👆100% QFT

Even the non-G1 lines (e.g. Cyberverse) are still too loaded with G1ness. I love G1, but I also feel that outside of CHUG and MP that we really should have something not G1 related. Beast Wars feels like the last great TF line that dared to think outside the G1 box. Armadaverse to a lesser degree.

The thing with Classics/Generations is that none of the toys have had formal licenses, but have typically approximated the original concept of the character.

As others have said, Cliffjumper isn't a Porsche, but has similar lines to the original vehicle to approximate the likeness. I remember it used to be talked about as a 70% rule - you weren't allowed to outright copy a design but you could homage it and approximate it but with enough differences that it couldn't be confused for the real thing. Think Universe Sideswipe, which resembles the Lamborghini Gallardo, but has the lights, grill, intakes sufficiently modified that it isn't a replica. On the flipside you have RiD Sideburn who approximated the Dodge Viper, but the likeness was so close that Dodge required Hasbro to obtain a license for future releases.

Because the VW Beetle lines and shape are so unique, any likeness would probably require a license, so the decision appears to have been that a small compact vehicle is the best analogue they can use - Classics, Titans Returns, Generations have all taken this approach. Unfortunately I do not see there ever being an official Generations price or scale figure that would meet the requirements you have.