Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Funny Transformer Ripoffs & KOs

Saw today at BigW, a set of transformable trucks, all with the cab half resembling Armada Optimus and a different back half to form a different sort of truck (one was a crane truck, another was a garbage truck). And each one turned into a robot resembling the Armada Optimus. They are from the same HK source as the Legends KOs I saw at The Warehouse last year. These were slightly smaller than deluxe, and were only about $4 each.
    They aren't replicas, but it should still count as an infringement on Hasbro's intellectual property by resembling their registered products.

I have a KO Lio Kaiser - terribly undersized, and for some reason one of the arms (I think it's Hellbat) is replaced with a KO of Double Dealer (Clouder)!! Har! I also once received a KO Defensor (called "Fireeninebot") which had a red Hot Spot and Groove had red tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by fatbot View Post
    the best i saw used the deluxe armada optimus prime mold.
    from memory there were 7 or 8 versions, all with different trailer parts, for example one was dump truck, another had some sort of earth moving equipment.

the best part of all this though? i saw them in Big W Blacktown (western Sydney) a couple months ago, i should've bought a couple of them.
    They are still selling them, they are not in with the other TF KO's, but with the slot cars and the like in my local store, about $3.50 a pop or something.

Big W also sells some other TF KO's, a Car, plane and tank that combine into a terrible larger former. The individual bots arent too badly designed, they are just crappy quality.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Are they actually TF KOs or just cheap transforming robot toys that are probably from China?

Technically a KO would have to be a toy that is an imitation of a licensed toy like a Transformer. There are plenty of generic transforming robot toy lines which aren't counterfeit Transformers, like RoadBots. From what I've heard from some people who've bought some RoadBots, they are as cheap and nasty as they look... kinda like No Frills Alternators... I have no intention of every buying one ever, but I don't consider them to be KOs.

My favourite generic transforming robot toy is Busbot - a cheap toy which transforms from a bus (coach) into a robot with a gold chrome Gundam head and Gundam RX-78 rifle and a yellow sword! I don't think having the Gundam head and gun alone qualifies it as a Gundam KO (it is definitely more than 10% different from any Gundam toy!) - but I like it just because it's so unique to see a 'Transformer' bus! I also found this other transforming robot whose alt mode is an American-style school bus... the robot mode is awful... I gave it to dirge. But yeah, it's definitely unique.

Now if only HasTak would give us a real proper busformer!

Oops, I didn't read fatbot's posting, which described the exact same thing I saw. Sorry
    At the BigW I saw them at, they were right near the real TFs too.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Are they actually TF KOs or just cheap transforming robot toys that are probably from China?

Technically a KO would have to be a toy that is an imitation of a licensed toy like a Transformer. There are plenty of generic transforming robot toy lines which aren't counterfeit Transformers, like RoadBots. From what I've heard from some people who've bought some RoadBots, they are as cheap and nasty as they look... kinda like No Frills Alternators... I have no intention of every buying one ever, but I don't consider them to be KOs.
    Roadbots are definitely not KOs, because they don't aim to copy any part or appearance of an existing TFs toy. They are completely original designs, just cheaply made. The toys that fatbot and myself were talking about, are not exact replicas, but do Knockoff the appearance of Optimus in robot mode and vehicle mode, with about 30-40% modification to the design, and slightly smaller.
    Replicas/counterfiets are exact or very close reproductions (like 95%+ the same as the real thing). KOs are figures that can have significant modifications, but still reproduce a recognisable part of the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post

lol that is just begging for a lawsuit to happen

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Those Roadbots are definitely cheap and nasty. I bought one and Dirge suggested I name it Lamor.....which I did, but there was one Roadbot I thought looked ok in packaging and that was a huge Harley Davidson. (about supreme Class size or bigger).

I don't begrudge Roadbots for stealing the concept of transforming vehicles because Hasbro stole the idea in the first place from Machine Men. It'd just be good if HasTak did some licensed vehicles like they did in the past. I know the Movie line are licensed vehicles but they're all Chevies aren't they? (apart from the Raptor of course)

Transformers can be limited in terms of which vehicle companies are willing to allow them to use their licensed vehicles. e.g.: Porsche no longer permits any of their vehicles to be made as Transformers, which is why Jazz was a Soltice instead of a Porsche and Bumblebee was a Camaro instead of a Beetle (VW being owned by Porsche).

Binaltech/Alternators (BTA & KISS Play) has given us a nice range of ultra-realistic licensed vehicles though.

I do wish that Hasbro would've based their follow up post movie toy line and cartoon on the movie by using licensed vehicles and making the robots look more "real life", but as Eric Siebernaler said, Animated is a very divergent path (he didn't say this in a positive or negative way - neutral tone). But I personally would've liked to see Animated draw inspiration from the movie instead of going to the said divergent path of being Cartoon Network'd. JMO.

My missus bought my young bloke a shut up toy (cheap but keeps the kid quiet). Exactly the same as movie legends Bumblebee but in a deluxe size. Broke in 3 seconds. Had some of those armada KO's that lasted 2 seconds. Jayden ended up duct taping the bulky arms and guns onto his Mcdonalds animated toys. He has a great future in kit bashing.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Collecting transformers- a good way to get poor
    Transformer count= too many

Currently in search of:
    G1 goodness