Thread: Box cutter damage to packaging

Default Box cutter damage to packaging

Lately with Earthrise Leaders and Netflix Voyagers, I've noticed a lot of boxes with box cutter damage on the top (especially) and bottom surfaces. I've seen it at Myer and Kmart. One knife went in so deep that it actually cut the plastic window at the top. At first I thought it was some factory machine issue as the first cuts I saw were fairly similar on different boxes but then I saw different types of cuts, and also boxes with no marks, and then some obvious knife damage. On some I've seen cuts on the sides. It makes me curious how the boxes are packed in cartons and how the store staff are opening them.

If you're a box collector, it may be worth your while to look carefully at the state of the boxes as many ER Leaders and at least some Netflix Voyagers I've seen have damage. I'm not really a box collector but it's still a bit disappointing if the damage is bad.

I wish store staff would take more care with their blades.

Both my ER Optimus Prime from Myer have box cutter slash mark at bottom of box. I just put them on my shelf & pretend I didn't notice. *lays on floor in fetal position*

Those shipping boxes that the Gen Selects figures have a cardboard insert in them to prevent damage. Maybe HasTak should do that for everything.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if the packaging is damaged as for me it's just going into the recycling. But there are enough people out there that do care about it that especially on a collector oriented line like WFC that a cardboard insert should probably be used to protect the retail boxes.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

I think it really goes to the staff opening the boxes and the care and attention given to it - back when I was a shelf stacker I always looked to only cut the tape, but can imagine a person being careless and just wrenching through the pack. Given the limited nature of the Netflix line I'd expect it just comes from the fact that only one or two people are opening and stacking the boxes.

3 hour deadlines at Kmart do that sometimes. When you've got 24 pallets to unpack and stack on cages then fill the floor, with another 24 on the way, occasionally these things happen.
    Also depends on how much training the staff have had. You'd be surprised at the amount of mongs I've dealt with in my time that don't know how to hold a cutter, let alone cut a box open properly.