View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 36.36%
  • Only if cheap

6 27.27%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

3 13.64%
  • No

3 13.64%
  • Not even interested

2 9.09%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Doubledealer

This is one of the weakest Transformers I’ve bought in a VERY long time.

Nothing has been designed with any real thought - the bird wings sort-of store away, but not really. The robot hands sort-of fold away, but not really. The legs peg in with difficulty in both alt modes. They transform differently for each mode too for....reasons?

The launch/ramp dismantles when folding because of the square hinge.

The robot fists are visible in launcher mode unless you plug accessories in.

The missile just kind of hangs on the bird mode back, partly floating in mid air.

The robot head is pretty much visible out the back of the carrier mode.

The deception symbols can flip up for bird mode, but wrong way round. Meanwhile, they can show in bot mode where we don’t need them.

The missile halves fit together loosely.

The carrier rolls poorly because of the wings underneath not being designed in any good way.

The positives I can point to are the bird mode head - that’s really good - and the paint applications look like g1 stickers (in a good way).

But overall....this feels like the hasbro design interns’ first (and last) attempt at designing a transformer. It’s bizarre that this is being sold at the same price and in the same line as the superbly designed leader class Optimus.

Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    I was really considering Doubledealer because it's such a unique concept but hearing of the issues with it, I guess I'll skip it unless it's cheap or something.
    To give an idea how bad he is - I was probably going to replace my T30 Doubledealer with this guy. But given how craptastic this turned out, now I’m not so sure. T30 isn’t G1 accurate, and that Blitzwing mold has it’s own issues, but at least it’s fun and interesting. And it’s taller!

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    This is one of the weakest Transformers I’ve bought in a VERY long time.

The missile just kind of hangs on the bird mode back, partly floating in mid air.

The robot head is pretty much visible out the back of the carrier mode.
    The carrier rolls poorly because of the wings underneath not being designed in any good way.
    So it’s not just me then ...

It’s supposed to clip onto the legs with the weird clip on the missile.... but I only realised that when it annoyed me enough to spend time working out what the hell the clip was supposed to do.

With the rolling issue, are you folding the bottom of the wings? They should be straight....

And the head.... that’s what the ramps for...

Yep, wings are straight. It rolls, but the wings droop enough on mine to scrape.

I realise the ramp hides his head, but it's in the same way if I put on a hat, I'm in 'disguise'.

I've been pretty happy with the quality of the Siege and Earthrise figures I've gotten so far but hearing Doubledealer's issues has me slightly worried. Really hope this is a one-off thing, otherwise I might have to skip future waves.

I've been pretty happy with the quality of the Siege and Earthrise figures I've gotten so far but hearing Doubledealer's issues has me slightly worried. Really hope this is a one-off thing, otherwise I might have to skip future waves.
    Yeah, just to be clear on this - these aren't tolerance issues or errors on my or Krayt's copy; it's designed this way.

I've already figured out 2 alternate bird configs that both more stable and more....well, bird.

Yeah, just to be clear on this - these aren't tolerance issues or errors on my or Krayt's copy; it's designed this way.

I've already figured out 2 alternate bird configs that both more stable and more....well, bird.
    Oh ok. So, it's really just the design of it that's the problem. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.....Still, I think I'll be fine skipping it unless it's $49 or around that.

Oh ok. So, it's really just the design of it that's the problem. Not sure if that makes it better or worse.....Still, I think I'll be fine skipping it unless it's $49 or around that.
    I suppose it depends how badly you need the character - when Hasbro fluffs up another more common character, like CW Optimus, POTP Starscream etc, it doesn't matter - because we know we'll get another version soon enough. But this guy's pretty obscure so it's doubtful that will happen again...definitely not for a long time, anyway.

I'm a lot more concerned with the robot mode than the alt mode(s) or transformation, and from that perspective this guy is fantastic. Worth considering the criticisms if he's not just going straight onto a shelf in bot mode though.

An undocumented configuration for the Decepticon robot mode:

This also appears to be an intentional configuration as there are two pegs on either side of the missile that serve no other purpose than to be plugged between the side holes on the forearms, allowing it to rest along the underbelly. I haven't tried it yet, but for additional G1-accuracy you could split the missile up and have the rear half rest on the back and the front half on the underside. The configuration that I have shown here obviously takes all of the weight off of that irritating back panel. Splitting it in half would make it lighter but I'm not sure if it would still make that panel more susceptible to falling off (should be less susceptible though).

To give an idea how bad he is - I was probably going to replace my T30 Doubledealer with this guy. But given how craptastic this turned out, now I’m not so sure. T30 isn’t G1 accurate, and that Blitzwing mold has it’s own issues, but at least it’s fun and interesting. And it’s taller!
    Aside from that annoying panel, I honestly don't mind Doubledealer. I recently sold off my T30 Doubledealer. It's unfortunate that on both toys Doubledealer's avian robot mode is the most compromised mode, because that's really Doubledealer's true form (the humanoid robot mode is just a disguise). But I'll take ER over T30 because at least the Decepticon mode is a proper avian form, whereas on T30 it's just a jet. It looks like another alt mode, not his true robot form as it should be. And the most compromised part of the avian mode is the missile attachment, but this can be circumvented by just attaching it to the underbelly (which looks more G1 accurate anyway). T30's jet mode is perfectly fine, but it's not Doubledealer to me. Doubledealer is meant to have two robot modes and one vehicle mode, not one robot mode and two vehicle modes. But hey, that's just me - and as people like me are selling off their T30 Doubledealers, it means that those who missed out on it and want one now can get them for cheap.

P.S.: The fact that I also still own Generations Blitzwing also made T30 Doubledealer more superfluous to me.