View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 36.36%
  • Only if cheap

6 27.27%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

3 13.64%
  • No

3 13.64%
  • Not even interested

2 9.09%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Earthrise Doubledealer

Default Toy Review - Earthrise Doubledealer

DOUBLEDEALER
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Earthrise
    Hypo-line - War for Cybertron
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here - July 2020
    Approximate Retail Price - $100
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - missile truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - double spy, connects with other Earthrise figures for Micromaster interactivity
    Main Colours - blues, grey, black
    Main Accessories - Missile rocket front and rear, x2 missile pods, mortar gun, ramp/wingaling, radar pod

Comparison with G1

Comparison with Generations

Autobot robot mode

Wings deployed

Decepticon robot mode.

Definitely weaker than the Autobot mode which is a shame considering that this is Doubledealer's true form. The way that the large missile attaches via the platform panel makes for a weak connection and it's prone to disconnecting. I wish that they would've made the platform connect more tightly or just allow the missile to connect directly to Doubledealer's body. There are also no Decepticon insignia visible in this mode.

Wings deployed

The Autobot robot mode can change its Autobot insignia to Decepticon. I guess this is kinda neat but I would've preferred to see these logos on the Decepticon mode where they belong. These panels are not visible in any other mode.

Missile truck mode

Launch configuration

I haven't photographed it, but the faux "Knok" Powermaster engine is detachable, but only the centre part. Not sure what the purpose of this is. It doesn't look to be able to fit one of the "Cassette" Micromasters. <shrugs>

P.S.: Just worked out that a "Cassette" can fit inside Doubledealer's Autobot mode's chest. This ought to be doable in all modes.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 3rd July 2020 at 11:13 PM.

I should know by now that leader toys are short these days, but seeing that he’s shorter than the G1 toy which I think of as short anyway, is still disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I should know by now that leader toys are short these days, but seeing that he’s shorter than the G1 toy which I think of as short anyway, is still disappointing.
    I strongly agree here.

On the plus side, the mobile missile launcher vehicle mode is dcent looking.

I wasn't expecting too much from this guy but in hand he's fantastic. I just wish his two little buddies were on the shelf next to him rather than in a Selects four pack that will be hard to get hold of.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruten View Post
    I wasn't expecting too much from this guy but in hand he's fantastic. I just wish his two little buddies were on the shelf next to him rather than in a Selects four pack that will be hard to get hold of.
    He was at PopCultcha and last I checked at Oh My Primus also for $40 PP
    They are around if youre keen on getting them.

Well.... I had such high hopes for DD.... but Hasbro has given up.

The purple wings are amazing!!! plastic is great, lines are sharp... the entire rest of the it feel like a bad KO.

Hands don't fold in far enough

Not enough robot head clearance to change to Bird mode

Upper legs are too wide to fit properly into lower legs for Bird mode (Not quite as bad in vehicle mode)

Knees are supposed to click into upper leg in bird mode... sure! good luck with that

Leg issues make "attaching" the feet in Bird and vehicle mode pretty hard to do.

Ramp/Tail has one curved side (allows to angle down for ramp), and one square side preventing movement in the "up" direction.... but of course they want it "UP" for vehicle and robot mode!!!

Bird feet totally did not want to stay on.... might just be the sides were switched, (covered foot side on outside of bird is best, 95% stable) but the mount is still too wide and straining the foot.

Rocket has 2 pegs at rear for attaching.... one is too short and wont fit properly into rocket holder.

Official bird mode has tail attach to rocket, rocket clip to legs, which are folded closer into the body (bird body shorter than vehicle body) . This mode is not intuitive. The intuitive way is to leave legs in vehicle position, allowing tail to attach to legs directly, and rocket clip to tail but remain removable without losing tail.

OFFICIAL:

My Way:

(Why did this go upside down???)

Both vehicle modes can take Skar with a ingenuity, but non-official bird looks better to me.

Despite the above complaints, Decepticon symbols can be visible in bird mode. And just like the seekers with their upside down wing insignia being the proper way to display, the "true form" of DD does this too.
    Last edited by Krayt; 7th July 2020 at 12:57 PM.

Bought this figure over the weekend and pretty much agree with Krayt. Bird mode is really weak and you could essentially slap the same wings on any transformer and call it a bird mode.

Quality of joints is an issue for my figure too; the knee swivels are loose and a lot of pressure is needed to transform DD correctly and even then things don't always fit where they're intended.

Hopefully Double Dealer isn't a sign of Hasbro going all out on the cheapening of future Leader class figures.

@Krayt
    Is that the Skar from that 4 pack in those photos?
    If so, would you mind taking some pictures of DD with Knok connected to DD too?

Maybe you can reattach the tail section? It might have been installed upside down.

I hope not all of them are funly like these ones. I love the concept of a character like DD

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    @Krayt
    Is that the Skar from that 4 pack in those photos?
    If so, would you mind taking some pictures of DD with Knok connected to DD too?

Maybe you can reattach the tail section? It might have been installed upside down.

I hope not all of them are funly like these ones. I love the concept of a character like DD
    Yes it's Skar from 4 pack, but the tapes DO NOT connect. The chest is hollow and fits 1 tape, but not on display at all, so can't match G1 Robot mode with Knok on show. You can however nearly do his positioning in Bird mode, where the chest piece had Knok inserted and then stuck to the back of the rocket... only here use the peg on the cassette to insert into back of rocket, not held by the chest piece.

Skar is only placed in my pics by flipping wings out, and sliding into the free space above the Hips... T piece of waist is wide, hence the wing separation you can see.

Tail section is buggered for all. You can pull the piece and flip it over, or just force past the "corner" to flip up, but both will weaken over time.

And if you don't get a "funly () one, it'll be a miracle....

I was really considering Doubledealer because it's such a unique concept but hearing of the issues with it, I guess I'll skip it unless it's cheap or something.