View Poll Results: Studio Series Overload - worth buying?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

4 57.14%
  • only if...

1 14.29%
  • no

0 0%
  • not interested in it

2 28.57%

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series 66 Overload

Default Toy Review - Studio Series 66 Overload

CONSTRUCTICON OVERLOAD
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series (Revenge of the Fallen)
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 5
    Released here - ??? (Overseas = June 2020)
    Approximate Retail Price - $80 - $100
    Approximate Size - 15cm top of head, 20cm top of stinger, 28cm across the shoulders
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Constructicon
    Alt-mode - Articulated dump truck
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Combines with fellow Constructicons to form Devastator
    Main Colours - Red
    Main Accessories - Devastators Hat

Thoughts

Compared to the other loader Scavenger, Overload is AMAZING, nothing gives away his purpose (apart from the accessory) and is a fine stand alone, looking great in robot mode with his spindly insectoid arms.

Great detail, lots of greebling but not overdone, makes robot mode really detailed and interesting to look at.

But vehicle mode.... what the hell were they thinking. He looks great from the same angle used on the box... but that’s it. Devastators butt takes center stage literally, and looks like 2 different people worked on the left and the right, and so one changed the dimensions without telling the other! The difference in leg connectors means Long Hauls leg side is 13mm shorter than Rampages leg side, meaning the dump truck bed is just ruined. And the side detailing matches at the ends, so it’s not even like there was a 1cm long insert to plug the gap, which there so easily could have been.

But overall, he is amazing. Just keep him in bot mode or devy mode, and you’d never know they screwed this up so badly.

How poseable are the arms in robot mode?
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

The grey piece rotates before the inner arm, as well as the black piece at the shoulder. Inner arm has a fair bit of movement in its elbow, and another simple rotate where the arm itself joins.

Outer arm has a fair bit of sideways movement, but can only swing forward at the red forearm. Sadly the claws don’t open

Out of all the Constructicons, Overload's alt mode suffers the most from having to combine, but the 'bot mode more than makes up for it imo. Aside from omitting a pair of legs, he's surprisingly accurate to the four-legged concept design, down to the now fake wheels on the inside of his legs.

The leg transformation shares similarity with Long Haul's, where very few simple steps turn the majority of their respective truck front mass into these tree trunks of legs. Although incredibly top heavy, Overload is very easy to balance thanks to clever joint placement and large foot prints with heel spurs which form a steady base. Use the thigh swivel well, you can get him in some very dynamic poses and still well balanced.

The four arms are also mostly accurate, and coupled with the wide shoulders, give Overload such an awesome shelf presence. All the painted red looks nice and adds another layer to the color palette.

Overall, another favorite of mine in the set.

Overload is an interesting one. He's very faithful to Ben Procter's concept art:

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attac...-jpg.28215973/

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140707064106

To be accurate to the concept art, one should rotate Overload's shoulders down instead of leaving them flared out as a lot of people do; this also means that Overload will take up slightly less space on a shelf. Even so, the width makes Overload imposing despite not being particularly tall, like Mixmaster and Scavenger.

This won't be a surprise, but Overload's backdrop is the same Egyptian quarry that came with the other Constructicons.

The silhouette gives me RoboCop 2 vibes, especially since one of RoboCop 2's arms is a pincer like the ones Overload has on his outer arms.

There seems to be some confusion as to what model of dump truck Overload transforms into. The concept art that describes Devastator's individual vehicles as well as Procter's concept art lists the vehicle as a Komatsu HD465-7, while the vehicle used for filming is said to be a Caterpillar, possibly a 773B or 776. Either way, the toy only replicates the general layout and colour scheme, leaving Mixmaster as the most accurate Constructicon toy (as well as being the only one that is licensed).

All eight Constructicons together at last!

It's funny how there's a fake wheel on the inside of the leg so that it's screen accurate when it never appeared on screen! I realise they're matching the concept art but it's an interesting detail to go to all this effort just to match an initial image.

I really like it. It's a good toy. Although I admit that I'm easily pleased when it comes to Transformers, and I'm okay with it.