Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: New Masterpiece Starscream - MP52

Quote Originally Posted by graza78 View Post
    Prime V3 was a very expensive mould and got a nemesis repaint already.
    Correct and it is the most expensive MP to date as well.

Also, MP52 Starscream isn't THAT badly priced. Okay it IS more expensive than previous Screamers, but given that it's on the larger side of things and increased complexity I actually think this is one of the better priced modern MPs, especially considering that the coneheads were only $50 cheaper and this is more complex than those.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

It is absolutely assured that we will get Thundercracker, Skywarp and any other repaints which can be imagined. This is Takara Tomy we?re talking about.

It makes good financial sense to do repaints. What makes plastic toys expensive are the moulds. That's why model kit aeroplanes and tanks cost insane amounts for a bit of plastic - the chemical plastic is trivial, but the moulds are gold. I've said before that I'm not a fan of coneheads and here's why. When I was kid I thought it was a rip off that the cartoon made Dirge, Ramjet and Thrust not fold their cones down (when the toys all shared the same fuselages) to differ them from Starscream, Skywarp and Thundercracker. To me, it was an obvious attempt to reuse the moulds without looking like reusing the moulds. And guess what, many incarnations of jets later (Masterpiece, non-Masterpiece, this line, that line) here we're are at MP-52 and a long history of repaints.

Also, thank you Dan Akroyd for reinforcing my non-obsession to collect coneheads (hated that movie for exactly the same reason - cones look stupid) .

Quote Originally Posted by jimoinj View Post
    More generally, I think the popularity of third-party companies with hyper-toon looking MPs is forcing Takara to attempt to match them/keep up with the competition.
    I disagree, as the third party companies generally had a level of stylization in their offerings up until Takara started going the full toon route with Ironhide. Since then the third parties making MP style toys followed suite, and started to reduce the surface detail. When it comes to Transformers Takara and Hasbro set the rules, third parties are a little fish by comparison.

I think Takara went the full toon style because of A: the designer and B: the highly source accurate appearance of expensive collectors toys from other franchises.

In the case of Starscream it's kind of funny when people argue that this new version is too slavish to the toon, when the first MP Starscream was criticised for deviating too much from the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I think Takara went the full toon style because of A: the designer and B: the highly source accurate appearance of expensive collectors toys from other franchises.
    Yeah, 3P had nothing to do with it. Takara have been making gradual steps toward toon accuracy for a long time, you could even argue as far back as the G1 reissues of the early 2000s with changes like red or blue eyes and adding extra accessories. It's just that now with MPs it's gone completely toon with zero G1 toy influence (aside from the + repaints).

In the case of Starscream it's kind of funny when people argue that this new version is too slavish to the toon, when the first MP Starscream was criticised for deviating too much from the source.
    This is the best thing I've read in a long time.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I wish TakaraTomy would give us MP versions of Jazz, Mirage, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Skids and Cliffjumper etc. before planning any more version 2 or 3.
    This. I understand there are licensing issues with Jazz, but I would happily shell out my hard earned for each of the Autobots Kyle mentioned. Even at $200-300 a pop.

I have zero interest in a second MP Starscream. I am perfectly happy with my Hasbro MP Starscream, MP-6 Skywarp & MP-7 Thundercracker.
    Last edited by dirge; 14th October 2020 at 07:36 PM.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

C: Because fans keep demanding "CaRt0oN aKkURaSe3~!"

...which doesn't even make sense considering that the G1 toys existed first... but wateva. If fans keep demanding to have new G1 toys that resemble the cartoon, then TakaraTOMY will continue to step up to meet this demand.

Quote Originally Posted by graza78 View Post
    Prime V3 was a very expensive mould and got a nemesis repaint already.
    Yeah.... and I was going to put a bit to seperate him due to the trailer... extra empty cost, not covered in Nemesis repaint etc etc...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

No we don’t.... never demanded it once

Starscream looks amazing, especially in colour, but even before the prices were announced, I found I didn't have a strong desire to buy this figure, even with a fear of missing out. Putting it next to MP-11 will probably make the older figure look bad in comparison, but unlike Optimus, I'm happy enough with MP-11 and don't feel a need to upgrade.

I think I'll just enjoy this one vicariously by looking at photos and videos of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    I actually think that a higher price suggests that the repaints are NOT planned to follow.

Look at recent excessively priced MPs

Hound
    BW Megs
    BW Dinobot
    BW BA
    BW Tigatron

The high price of Starscream lends to the mould not being planned for multiple repaints.
    The high prices likely reflect the development costs and a desire to make back the R&D money on initial release. None of the Beast Wars figures really have repaint potential. Hound could potentially get the 'plus' treatment or even get repainted as Detritus, either one as a store exclusive, but I doubt they would sell as well as regular releases. Besides, it seems very strange to spend money developing a new Starscream and not further monetise the work that went into development of the figure by making redecos of it. Like Skyfire typed, these things aren't cheap, and it makes sense to monetise the moulding with repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    I wish TakaraTomy would give us MP versions of Jazz, Mirage, Hoist, Trailbreaker, Skids and Cliffjumper etc. before planning any more version 2 or 3.
    Yeah, I get that. I want Jazz and Mirage and Galvatron and Cyclonus, but I also accept that a new version of a popular character like Starscream (and its repaints) will help to pay for R&D on those new figures.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

...which doesn't even make sense considering that the G1 toys existed first... but wateva. If fans keep demanding to have new G1 toys that resemble the cartoon, then TakaraTOMY will continue to step up to meet this demand.
    The cartoon existed to sell toys, and doubtless there were children who thought it was strange that the toys of several characters bore a passing resemblance at best to the characters on-screen. I can understand if the idea is to give nostalgic collectors faithful figures of what they saw on-screen as children.