View Poll Results: Studio Series Devastator - worth buying?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes (buying them in parts)

8 61.54%
  • yes (only if released as a set)

0 0%
  • only if (something else)

1 7.69%
  • not worth buying

0 0%
  • not even interested in it

4 30.77%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Devastator

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    It would be interesting to weigh titan class figures and see what kind of numbers we get. I understand that Combiner Wars Devastator is blocky with a lot of hollow parts, so despite being taller, it wouldn't surprise me if the two weighed the same. Even if the other titans weighed a bit more, they might feel lighter because they aren't as dense as Studio Series Devastator.
    I daresay the SS will weigh more and also why I'm glad that they decided to split the SS Constructicons up rather than do them as a giftset at the standard Titan price point of $300aud. I imagine there would have been a lot more compromises, hollow parts, etc than there is already. I am aware that a box set is coming out, but this is after the fact and from what I understand it will not be cheap! So as painful as the wait was I think in the long run we've benefited for it and those coming on board now can grab the giftset anyway.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Finally got to put this bad boy together after getting Overload delivered yesterday; it's been a bit of a journey but well worth it in my opinion.

While every figure suffers from compromises - which is always the case with combiners and triple-changers - the set as a whole is fantastic.

I am most surprised with the stability of the combined mode. From pictures I assumed it was a rickety old thing that would come apart if you sneezed near it, but it's actually locked together pretty tight with a stack of tabs. Reasonably complicated too - I don't think I'll be transforming my way through this set from memory any time soon.

With Overload appearing in regular retail, I finally got around to finishing the collection of Constructicons and putting it together.

It...is...INCREDIBLE. Seriously, such a beast. It's heavy and has a real presence to it.

What they've been able to achieve is amazing. Each figure is barely compromised and are cool stand-alone figures. And yet they combine into quite a cohesive robot that looks planned and not just a hodge-podge of figures.

I see Mixmaster copped some flack, but it is really well secured on top with multiple tight connection points. It's one of the simpler figures of the set but they still did well with it and the face looks really cool. I must admit, I was a little disappointed from the early photos of Devastator standing up instead of hunched, but you can make it crawl if you want. Having seen it in hand, I think I like the upright version. I'm going to leave it like that because it's more imposing and will display better.

Considering the weight, the figure connections and the articulation joints are pretty well secured. There are a lot of stiff ratchet joints going on. Again, really well thought out.

I'm constantly amazed by what the designers at Hasbro and Takara can come up with and Studio Series Devastator has really raised the bar. The unfortunate thing is that I'm not going to keep it in combined mode and won't appreciate the individual figures as much. Good problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher31 View Post
    I must admit, I was a little disappointed from the early photos of Devastator standing up instead of hunched, but you can make it crawl if you want. Having seen it in hand, I think I like the upright version. I'm going to leave it like that because it's more imposing and will display better.
    I feel the exact same way, having finally finished mine last week.

In person in front of you the proportions work a lot better.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Finallllyy got this guy done (after months of having all the parts lol, still took me 2 sittings!)

Wow, while he's a bit hard to pose//lacking some articulation, he displays AWESOMELY (even just in the standing config) - and the heft is awesome. Almost want to buy the giftbox so I can have both at once.... ooop

Update - Devvy jumped from my top shelf - and while he spilt into a few different parts (and took a massive chunk of out the floorboards), the only thing that actually broke was one of the tabs on MixMaster's cab front - pretty impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    Finallllyy got this guy done (after months of having all the parts lol, still took me 2 sittings!)

Wow, while he's a bit hard to pose//lacking some articulation, he displays AWESOMELY (even just in the standing config) - and the heft is awesome. Almost want to buy the giftbox so I can have both at once.... ooop
    Bought this for my son for Christmas. Thought the numbered box would make someone happy so put it on Marketplace 2 weeks ago. Was about to chuck it!
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...0102037774435/