View Poll Results: Studio Series Devastator - worth buying?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes (buying them in parts)

8 61.54%
  • yes (only if released as a set)

0 0%
  • only if (something else)

1 7.69%
  • not worth buying

0 0%
  • not even interested in it

4 30.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series Devastator

Default Toy Review - Studio Series Devastator

INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT REVIEWS
    Studio-Series-37-Rampage

Studio-Series-41-Scrapmetal

Studio-Series-42-Long-Haul

Studio-Series-47-Hightower

Studio-Series-53-Mixmaster

Studio-Series-55-Scavenger

Studio-Series-60-Scrapper

Studio-Series-66-Overload

CONSTRUCTICON DEVASTATOR
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Studio Series (Revenge of the Fallen)
    Size/class - SUPREME
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Approximate Retail Price - $100x2, $50x4, $30x2...$460!!!
    Approximate Size - 37cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Sub-Group - Constructicon
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Size
    Main Colours - Red,Yellow,Green,Grey

The dust has settled on my mammoth task of opening all 8 of these guys at once, and thoughts are starting to filter into my head.

This guy is huge! But way more solid than I thought he would be. The Arm and leg connectors are great, and after Jellico's post on Scavenger made me go back and look aver the connectors and stress points, nearly everything about him seems solid. Nearly Everything? Mixmaster lets everything down. You don't need the whole set yet... Just go look at Scavenger and Mixmaster and figure out how they are supposed to connect. No-ones mentioned it in either individual review, but there isn't much there to talk about anyway!!

Speaking of the individuals combiner modes... they got skipped over in the reviews too!!

RAMPAGE
    One of the better individual components... The most fiddly of the lot to put into combined mode, but thats just getting the treads done right for this mode. Looks great.

SCRAPMETAL
    A real pain to join to Hightower, but once in place he isn't going anywhere.

LONGHAUL
    Sorry, but he just looks crap. 90% of him is hidden behind Overloads leg, which he buggered up and made shorter for some reason, and then leaves Devastator looking like a hobo with a gappy shoe that needs to get fixed.

HIGHTOWER
    Subtle changes to the treads is about all for his transformation. Holds well to both Scavenger and Scrapmetal.

MIXMASTER
    Narrowly misses the worst of the set to LongHaul. He looks amazing on his own, but it's like they realised they left one piece out and had to wedge him in somehow to give Devy a head. But once in place, the face for Devy is BEAUTIFUL!!!! (But not the neck... or anything else... just the head.)

SCAVENGER
    Holds well. A little bit of movement for the arms positions, but surprisingly has an "arm lift" feature for both arms at once. Just press the big wheel on the back, and the unique design of Scavenger lets both arms raise at once.

SCRAPPER
    Horrible combined mode.... just pry things apart and angle slightly, and it's magically an arm? Next....

OVERLOAD
    His Vehicle mode suffered to the benefit of the combined mode, but he is well worth the wait. You don't notice on Rampage Leg just how much he is covering the bots over (And if using Skipjack, with Scrapmetals "shield" in place there will be alot of yellow on show) but he totally mutes out Long Haul and relegates him to just a crappy old shoe.

DEVASTATOR
    He stands tall, so goodbye to your memories of a gorilla-esk rampage through the desert. No head movement, no waist movement, and no strength in the arms to hold that position. You need to think of it as the just combined Devy in that single frame BEFORE he got on all fours and opened up his gullet to devour everything. Once that's in your head, the lack of accuracy is forgiven by the sheer size and detail. Well worth the detailing to forgo the pose.

But the Hat.... Mixmaster was so forgotten they had to send Overload along with it so he could go out and play with the other kids at lunchtime... I guess that the trade off is that at least they didn't compromise on Mixmasters Bot or Vehicle modes to incorporate the Devys Neck...

Unlike the original, no opening Maw here... just a pretty face... and really I don't mind because when was the last time you actually played with something? He stands on a shelf and tries to hide from the Wife... But the mouth opens relatively wide, and the bottom of the jaw moves a bit as well, giving a simple view of opening wider.
    Last edited by Krayt; 6th July 2020 at 07:35 PM.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Good review.

There is a 5mm port on Devastator's butt you can plug Rampage's base plate into (yes I know). It hides the tines better.

I am one Overload short of completing him myself. I have 7 connected parts sitting right next to me as a type, grinning.

If you poke around online there are a few good options for angling Mixmaster up to allow a crouched position. The biggest issue then is accepting that there are no knees and you will probably have to rely on bending at the waist rather than the ankles to go on all fours.

Feels like they could've rectified the Overload/Long Haul issue by moving some of the bulk from the foot and lengthening the leg. That way Overload doesn't need to be longer on one side and Devastator has accurate split toes although I'm not sure how actually viable my idea would be.

Still, I'm excited to have this completed myself. I also haven't opened while waiting for all the members. Have Scrapper on layby at Big W and still waiting for Scavenger from TBI. Then it'd just be Overload to find. Even considering getting Skipjack and I almost never buy duplicates of a mould.

Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    There is a 5mm port on Devastator's butt you can plug Rampage's base plate into (yes I know). It hides the tines better.
    Yeah I worked that out after the pic.... but it’s not really the right way.... hole itself is recessed, and the piece is more “held by the surrounds” than “inserted into hole”

Quote Originally Posted by nalops View Post
    Feels like they could've rectified the Overload/Long Haul issue by moving some of the bulk from the foot and lengthening the leg. That way Overload doesn't need to be longer on one side and Devastator has accurate split toes although I'm not sure how actually viable my idea would be.
    I would have been happy if done like scrap metals “shield”... just an extra piece you remove for combined mode, but leave inserted for bot and vehicle

I got my overload today thus completing Devastator. I'll try to take some more photos later but for now here are my thoughts.

Have to echo Krayt's thoughts on Mixmaster's head connection being pretty dreadful. For me Mixmaster was probably my least favourite and this issue just gave me more reason to dislike it.

The combined form of Devastator looks a lot better in person especially once you get him into a pose and out of the plain stance a lot of images on the net have him in. My only issue with the combined form is that the top half feels kinda fragile/loose due to it all resting on Scavenger's wheel and post.

In the end, this is a character/s that I had no interest in ever having but the uniqueness of them individually like the robot mode of Hightower and Rampage and the combined form has really sold me on having Devastator.
    Last edited by Gehirn; 12th August 2020 at 01:56 PM.

Great review!
    Combined mine this evening and overall am happy with it. Biggest flaw is the lack of any head articulation, not even side to side. One thing that bugs my OCD is the fingers are designed very differently on each hand and I can't articulate them or the arms in a way to make them "match", but that's probably just me who cares about that.... Anyway, the ratchets hold up pretty well considering the weight of the thing and I even got one arm to hold up a micromaster Devastator.

Also, thank you Krayt for pointing out the arm lift feature, that's pretty cool.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    Great review! One thing that bugs my OCD is the fingers are designed very differently on each hand and I can't articulate them or the arms in a way to make them "match", but that's probably just me who cares about that....
    You could always match the arms..... just need to decide which one you prefer and source a second scrapper/set of deluxes

Quote Originally Posted by Krayt View Post
    You could always match the arms..... just need to decide which one you prefer and source a second scrapper/set of deluxes
    Funnily enough I do have a second Scrapper and Scrapmetal (but not Hightower) so I can play with those without having to take Devy apart. Might see how it looks with two Scrappers.
    Looking to buy lucky draw Armada Prime and Diaclone Marlboor Wheeljack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha_Phantom View Post
    One thing that bugs my OCD is the fingers are designed very differently on each hand and I can't articulate them or the arms in a way to make them "match", but that's probably just me who cares about that.
    I have scrapper with his wheels inward so at least it matches the multiple fingers on the outside and one inner.